CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Changing Tires (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569882)

PROMETHEUS 02-10-2020 02:36 PM

Changing Tires

Afternoon Everyone

First and foremost, I know that I can get a set of tires changed at the dealership! However, at $95+ a wheel is IMHO a bit much for mounting and road force balancing. Paying that GM premium, I guess.

Does anyone know of any brick/mortar national chain tire shop that uses the touchless tire changer and road force balancing equipment. Or any members in northern VA, who can recommend a reputable establishment. Thanks in advance!

NTB - Doesn't
Goodyear - Doesn't
Firestone - Doesn't

JonDaddy82 02-10-2020 03:25 PM

For tasks like these, I usually seek out a local custom stereo/wheel shop that does high end cars and talk to them about it. They usually deal in low profile/big/expensive wheels and tires daily and know what it takes to work with them and what customers expect.

SFV1LE 02-10-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS (Post 10721067)
Afternoon Everyone

First and foremost, I know that I can get a set of tires changed at the dealership! However, at $95+ a wheel is IMHO a bit much for mounting and road force balancing. Paying that GM premium, I guess.

Does anyone know of any brick/mortar national chain tire shop that uses the touchless tire changer and road force balancing equipment. Or any members in northern VA, who can recommend a reputable establishment. Thanks in advance!

NTB - Doesn't
Goodyear - Doesn't
Firestone - Doesn't

I tried a dealer, Keyes in Van Nuys, for my first tire change, removing GY SC 3Rs for PS4S to save them for track. I was already there for an oil change and ZLE track alignment and figured it made sense to get the tires done at the same time ... they put 3 dents in my car, damaged the bead on one of the nearly new 3Rs, installed a PF48 filter that leaked, and took 3 days to figure out how to rotate the DSSVs to track setting. They refused to take responsibility for any of their mistakes, and said the bead of a never before removed tire on a 2 month old car was damaged already by me. GM backed them up.

SJFGTO 02-10-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFV1LE (Post 10721145)
I tried a dealer, Keyes in Van Nuys, for my first tire change, removing GY SC 3Rs for PS4S to save them for track. I was already there for an oil change and ZLE track alignment and figured it made sense to get the tires done at the same time ... they put 3 dents in my car, damaged the bead on one of the nearly new 3Rs, installed a PF48 filter that leaked, and took 3 days to figure out how to rotate the DSSVs to track setting. They refused to take responsibility for any of their mistakes, and said the bead of a never before removed tire on a 2 month old car was damaged already by me. GM backed them up.

Wow! That is awful. I have had mine to the dealer twice for track alignments and had zero problems. The tech was extremely knowledgeable. I had taken it to two different independent shops initially and neither would touch my car for fear of causing damage...I appreciated their candor.

LT4Greg 02-10-2020 05:03 PM

That’s what I dread when it comes time to put new tires on my ZL1 and it maybe in the summer!

RDBill 02-10-2020 05:22 PM

I called Hunter which is a touch-less tire machine manufacturer and asked them for a business in my area that uses their tire machine.

HogmanZL1 02-10-2020 05:24 PM

Discount tire has been a great and i wont go anywhere else. best pricing (they will price match if you find it better). they lifted the car manually with 4 jacks simultaneously on the correct lift points just 10 feet away from me in the shop window. the manager understood my concerns and walked the car with me each time and we checked the wheels pre/post for any damage. they have the latest equipment from my understanding and i trusted they would take care of any issues if something did occur.

Vigilante375 02-10-2020 05:36 PM

Discount tire is a good chain and I've used them a few times.

I'd say call another dealer if you want them to do this. My dealer charged me only $52, total, to change the tires on my ZL1.

Markoz28 02-10-2020 09:05 PM

Discount tire! They also mounted my 325/30/20 R888R on my custom gloss black 20x11.5” BC Forged wheels without a scratch.

c120cut 02-10-2020 09:14 PM

Discount tire uses Hunter road force balances to

Stephen12ZL1 02-10-2020 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here:

jvandy50 02-11-2020 12:09 AM

Another vote for discount tire. It's a big chain, but our new one in town has the service of a 100 year old family business. They're awesome and will take car of your girl.

Not to mention good prices already and a 0% for 12 months credit card.

PROMETHEUS 02-11-2020 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 (Post 10721370)
here:

Thanks Stephen,

Called most of those places except for couple, which will be done today....no go, all use the old fashion tire changer and a couple of them didn't know what I was talking about went I mentioned "road force balancing".

crosive 02-11-2020 06:09 AM

sadly, around here, the dealership is about the only place that has the equipment and fellas that care enough. It costs, sure, but I trust the guys at my dealership. I tried ntb. lets just say I'll never go back to another ntb, ever.