CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   The Z28 what could have been.... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299256)

Norm Peterson 06-04-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6625692)
There is always the COPO *COUGH*

Not for the activities I'd be wearing a helmet for. Sorry.

Norm

motorhead 06-04-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6625692)
There is always the COPO *COUGH*

The COPO isn't a track car ,but rather drag car. I love the direction that GM took with the Z/28. That is what is should be. The watered down gen 4 was a Z28 in name only.

The 60's cars made the name. The gen 4s just used the name for marketing to try and sell a mediocre car with slumping sales.

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-04-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6625972)
:facepalm:

Give it up. We know you don't want the Z/28 to top your ZL1 but it's getting old. Enjoy your car. It's still an awesome machine.

It has nothing to do with topping the ZL1, lol. I didn't buy it because it was the big in HP. I would have went with the GT500 if that was the case. Don't add assumptions to the thread, or assuming you know my motives which are wrong. And yes I will continue to drive this awesome machine. Enjoy yours as well, GM did a fantastic job on the 5th Gen.

demonspeed 06-04-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 6626352)
The COPO isn't a track car ,but rather drag car. I love the direction that GM took with the Z/28. That is what is should be. The watered down gen 4 was a Z28 in name only.

The 60's cars made the name. The gen 4s just used the name for marketing to try and sell a mediocre car with slumping sales.

Except that every "performance" vehicle in the Chevrolet stable during the 80's & 90's used "Zxx" nomenclature. Considering the slash was ditched in 1982, then it's quite incorrect to state the 4th gen was a Z28 in name only. There are several people, Scott Settlemire included, who would easily be able to usurp that comment.

fbodfather 06-04-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrs396 (Post 6618384)
Targa.....Targa.....Targa!!!

Let me ask you this: How do you propose removing the top?

Keep in mind that the Camaro is quite a bit taller and wider than a Corvette....

one would have to be well over 6 feet tall and strong to be able to lift it on or off.

My proof: Ask someone who witnessed what I did to a pre-production Corvette C6 in Atlanta at the Atlanta Gathering on a hot day as a storm approached....

:help:

...it did not end well.........

The other issue is structural rigidity - one thing that sets a 5th gen far apart from a 4th and 3rd gen is the structural rigidity.......

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-04-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 6626793)
Let me ask you this: How do you propose removing the top?

Keep in mind that the Camaro is quite a bit taller and wider than a Corvette....

one would have to be well over 6 feet tall and strong to be able to lift it on or off.

My proof: Ask someone who witnessed what I did to a pre-production Corvette C6 in Atlanta at the Atlanta Gathering on a hot day as a storm approached....

:help:

...it did not end well.........

The other issue is structural rigidity - one thing that sets a 5th gen far apart from a 4th and 3rd gen is the structural rigidity.......

I'm 6'2 and 235lbs! :)

Thank you for clearing it up though, sir. Very much appreciated!

Bhobbs 06-04-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6626493)
It has nothing to do with topping the ZL1, lol. I didn't buy it because it was the big in HP. I would have went with the GT500 if that was the case. Don't add assumptions to the thread, or assuming you know my motives which are wrong. And yes I will continue to drive this awesome machine. Enjoy yours as well, GM did a fantastic job on the 5th Gen.

Then why so you keep saying GM should build the lesser car?

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-04-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6627150)
Then why so you keep saying GM should build the lesser car?

Is your 1998 Z28 a lesser car?

Bhobbs 06-04-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6627204)
Is your 1998 Z28 a lesser car?

Yes, when it comes to being a Z28. It's decently fast but I wouldn't track it as it came stock. I enjoy my car but that doesn't mean it was built in honor of the Z/28 heritage.

Bad@ssCamaro 06-04-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed (Post 6626561)
Except that every "performance" vehicle in the Chevrolet stable during the 80's & 90's used "Zxx" nomenclature. Considering the slash was ditched in 1982, then it's quite incorrect to state the 4th gen was a Z28 in name only. There are several people, Scott Settlemire included, who would easily be able to usurp that comment.

The slash was dropped in 1973 ;)

demonspeed 06-04-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6627231)
Yes, when it comes to being a Z28. It's decently fast but I wouldn't track it as it came stock. I enjoy my car but that doesn't mean it was built in honor of the Z/28 heritage.

Why not? You realize there are many people who used their Z28's just as they came from the factory in SCCA racing, right? Just check out Sam Strano and Solo II, for instance. One didn't need a 1LE to race their vehicle -- and win. There's also the Camaro-Mustang Challenge series, etc. Just because it was "just" another Camaro model rather than some "special" option doesn't make it any less commendable, especially if we put it into the context of its competition from that time frame.

demonspeed 06-04-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro (Post 6627374)
The slash was dropped in 1973 ;)

Fair enough. My "expertise" doesn't go past 1982, so I steer clear of trying to talk authoritatively about 1st and 2nd gens. :)

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-04-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6627231)

I don't agree with you, sorry. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm not trying to be negative or sarcastic just trying to see what era you grew up in. I'm 28. So the heritage for me starts with the Z28 which you currently own. I can't comment on the earlier generations.

It has to be hard for you to drive a car that doesn't honor the Z28 name. Why do you own it? You choose it for a reason.

Bhobbs 06-04-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed (Post 6627387)
Why not? You realize there are many people who used their Z28's just as they came from the factory in SCCA racing, right? Just check out Sam Strano and Solo II, for instance. One didn't need a 1LE to race their vehicle -- and win. There's also the Camaro-Mustang Challenge series, etc. Just because it was "just" another Camaro model rather than some "special" option doesn't make it any less commendable, especially if we put it into the context of its competition from that time frame.

Maybe my car is more tired than I realized. If I wasn't putting so much money in my Chevelle, I would fix the Z28.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6627405)
I don't agree with you, sorry. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm not trying to be negative or sarcastic just trying to see what era you grew up in. I'm 28. So the heritage for me starts with the Z28 which you currently own. I can't comment on the earlier generations.

It has to be hard for you to drive a car that doesn't honor the Z28 name. Why do you own it? You choose it for a reason.

I'm 23. I grew up with it and its the car that got me interested in Camaros.

I drive it because my Chevelle isn't done and I still think its a good car, just not in the way a Z/28 is.