CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   A8 manual shifting method?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529698)

ARCTIC 05-23-2018 04:35 PM

A8 manual shifting method??

So I've tried on several different occasions to use the shift paddles and the shifter to manually row through the gears and either I am not doing it correctly or that option is kinda worthless. It feels lazy shifting. I had hoped for an instant gear bump when hitting the shift paddle but it seems to have a very disconnected feel and it almost just shifts when it wants to. Do I need to be right up to the redline to get a quick instant shift? What's the proper technique?

cjon9657 05-23-2018 04:45 PM

I got a trifecta tune on my camaro and it has helped with shifting quicker. Honestly i never use the paddles. But thats just my preference.

camaroJD 05-23-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARCTIC (Post 10195379)
So I've tried on several different occasions to use the shift paddles and the shifter to manually row through the gears and either I am not doing it correctly or that option is kinda worthless. It feels lazy shifting. I had hoped for an instant gear bump when hitting the shift paddle but it seems to have a very disconnected feel and it almost just shifts when it wants to. Do I need to be right up to the redline to get a quick instant shift? What's the proper technique?

I've never tried it on a Camaro, but I've driven and played with it on some Cadillacs including a CTS-V Sport and had the same experience. Maybe I was doing it wrong but it's not "fun" or crisp. Nothing beats a real manual.

Norm Peterson 05-23-2018 05:05 PM

Have you guys tried lifting off the throttle a bit just as you hit the paddle for an upshift - and getting right back into it after the upshift happens - like you would if you were driving a MT car? I'm guessing a bit here, but reduced throttle is typically a signal for the AT to go to a higher gear because the demand for max acceleration has gone away. Although doing that would probably reduce the likelihood of chirping the tires if that's what anybody is trying to get out of this.

I know that with a little practice you can manually rev-match manually commanded downshifts in an AT car while setting up for a corner so you don't get any forward lurching.

Norm

Johnwon 05-23-2018 05:09 PM

I've noticed the same and I keep my car in Sport mode. I don't use the paddles, but in stop and go traffic, I'll toss it into manual many times so that I can slow the car down with the engine without riding the brakes and covering my wheels with brake dust. My goal in the next couple months is to change the pads to eliminate all the dust. Not that it matters much, but I notice my millage drop significantly when I manually shift vs. allowing the auto to do it.

JRS 05-23-2018 08:27 PM

The A8 will never shift very fast or crisp with the way the oil passages and valve body is designed that's why the A10 is designed differently to accommodate lightning fast shifts and immediate reaction to the paddles.

If your looking for better shift for drag racing the best thing is automatic mode or shifting about 500 rpms before redline in manual mode because by the time you get to redline it will have shifted to the next gear.

protovack 05-24-2018 01:32 AM

Yea its disappointing to say the least.

whiteboyblues2001 05-24-2018 09:12 AM

The reaction to the paddles depends on what mode you are in, what RPM's and what throttle. I find that if I am just tooling around town in Tour mode, the upshifts are lazy. If I'm in track mode, at full or near full throttle, and the RPM's are approaching redline, the shifts are much more crisp.

whiteboyblues2001 05-24-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnwon (Post 10195414)
I've noticed the same and I keep my car in Sport mode. I don't use the paddles, but in stop and go traffic, I'll toss it into manual many times so that I can slow the car down with the engine without riding the brakes and covering my wheels with brake dust. My goal in the next couple months is to change the pads to eliminate all the dust. Not that it matters much, but I notice my millage drop significantly when I manually shift vs. allowing the auto to do it.

The transmission programming will downshift to engine brake for you when left in auto mode. Especially when going down a hill. Not sure you will get the same response in stop and go traffic, but give it a try. The programming is pretty smart, and I get a ton of engine braking in my normal driving in automatic mode. But, I live in a very hilly valley.

fastball 05-24-2018 09:25 AM

Steps for shifting like a manual:

1. Remove A8 transmission

2. Install clutch

3. Install clutch pedal

4. Install 6 speed manual transmission

:biggrin:

qcman 05-24-2018 09:46 AM

Just a guess but tuning the trans would likely improve this situation. My 5th auto is tuned including the trans and shifts are quick and very firm in Sport Mode. It chirps the first 3 gears now. Was like mush when on the stock tune.....Paddle shifts are quicker and more firm than stock as well. Might be something to consider to the OP?

Gunmetalmissle 05-24-2018 09:50 AM

Up shifts work best under heavy throttle and higher rpm. For aggressive downshifting, hold the paddle instead of clicking through each gear.

torqueaddict 05-24-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 10196021)
Steps for shifting like a manual:

1. Remove A8 transmission

2. Install clutch

3. Install clutch pedal

4. Install 6 speed manual transmission

:biggrin:

LOL, true.

The only 'auto' trannies I know of that shift instantly are the dual clutch (DSG)and sequentials that are both manuals at heart.

The more common automatics with a TC and valve body usually have a slight delay when shifting manually. I think part if it is for smoothness. Although I'm a manual guy all the way, a DSG in a Camaro would be killer - 11s wil be a piece of cake.

crosive 05-24-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle (Post 10196052)
Up shifts work best under heavy throttle and higher rpm. For aggressive downshifting, hold the paddle instead of clicking through each gear.

I'm a little leary of this feature. Everywhere I've read says it will automatically downshift, down to 3rd. everytime I've tried it, I've almost redlined the car in 1st to slow down to pull into a gas station, looking like a retard. It never just stopped at 3rd, it kept a-going.