CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   GM Performance Air Intake (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596624)

OneGrumpyUncle 08-28-2021 03:49 AM

GM Performance Air Intake

Does anyone have any info on what the latest is with GM Performance Air Intake? Is it going to be offered again for the 21 and 22’s or has it been nixed due to that emissions recall. I know everyone says it’s not worth it but I like the look of it and the fact that it is covered by GM still.

hotlap 08-28-2021 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OneGrumpyUncle (Post 11061715)
Does anyone have any info on what the latest is with GM Performance Air Intake? Is it going to be offered again for the 21 and 22’s or has it been nixed due to that emissions recall. I know everyone says it’s not worth it but I like the look of it and the fact that it is covered by GM still.

I 2022 configurator still shows it as available.

I'm on my third gen6 2SS and this is the first with the GM CAI. I won't argue the performance aspect, by the engine sound under full throttle is much better. :eyebulge:

It looks cool too. :happy0180:

OneGrumpyUncle 08-28-2021 01:44 PM

Yeah. Its in there but if you try and actually put an order through with the intake on it, workbench won't accept the order. It says not available long term hold. I've contacted GM multiple times and my dealer and all of them say they don't know the what the story is. The only thing they can guess is a parts shortage, but it is still showing available for the rest of the 6th gen 6.2L engines and I don't see how the part would be any different?

arpad_m 08-28-2021 04:26 PM

TascaParts still has it: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...e-kit-84877903. The price of the kit also includes a code for free MAF recalibration at any Chevrolet dealership, so I don't think there would be any warranty issues even if you install it yourself (and save $$$).

Minerbros66 08-28-2021 04:34 PM

The GM kit is just made by Cold Air Inductions and rebadged here's the link:

https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...-intake-black/

DC4 08-28-2021 07:33 PM

Pretty crazy it’s $625 from the factory and $453 after the fact! I have it and I do like how it makes the car sound. Very easy install and then you take it to the dealership for the free tune.

18SS1LE 08-28-2021 07:57 PM

any idea if this will make the SC whine a bit more like the Roto Fab?

OneGrumpyUncle 08-28-2021 07:58 PM

TBH I wouldn't have a problem with the $625 price considering the GM warranty backing and tune and quality. I'm just getting frustrated that they aren't actually allowing people to add it to their factory orders. If you are going to show it on the configutator, actually allow builds with the damn thing or tell people that yes it is on back order but will be available later through GM accessories. This no info at all BS is just :mad2:

khcoaching 08-28-2021 08:42 PM

I have it with the new mapping and there is zero performance numbers difference, but drivability with the new mapping is much much better.

Ken

Mark114 08-28-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneGrumpyUncle (Post 11061982)
TBH I wouldn't have a problem with the $625 price considering the GM warranty backing and tune and quality. I'm just getting frustrated that they aren't actually allowing people to add it to their factory orders. If you are going to show it on the configutator, actually allow builds with the damn thing or tell people that yes it is on back order but will be available later through GM accessories. This no info at all BS is just :mad2:

I understand your frustration but unless the intake is a deal breaker then I suggest that you order your car and get the intake later if and when it becomes available. The dealer price installed won’t be much different than the order price and you’ll have the car to enjoy while you wait.

Just an FYI that the GM unit isn’t identical to the CAI unit. The GM unit is CARB certified while the CAI unit is not. The GM unit has a hydrocarbon absorbing layer in the intake tube that changes the airflow and that’s why it requires the MAF calibration (tune).

OneGrumpyUncle 08-28-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark114 (Post 11061997)
I understand your frustration but unless the intake is a deal breaker then I suggest that you order your car and get the intake later if and when it becomes available. The dealer price installed won’t be much different than the order price and you’ll have the car to enjoy while you wait.

Just an FYI that the GM unit isn’t identical to the CAI unit. The GM unit is CARB certified while the CAI unit is not. The GM unit has a hydrocarbon absorbing layer in the intake tube that changes the airflow and that’s why it requires the MAF calibration (tune).

Yeah I went ahead and ordered the car when I was able to get an allocation because who knows when I would have been able to get another one. Like Ken mentioned though I've just read lots of good things about the intake with the tune applied and how the drivability is remarkably changed for just a CAI. Especially one that is covered by the warranty. I'm just frustrated that there isn't some way to find out more info on its status considering that these are performance cars and this is a performance part. But that's what happens with companies these days I guess. No one knows what anyone else is doing.

UnknownJinX 08-29-2021 12:31 AM

I agree that you could just always get it later. It makes for a fun afternoon DIY project.

The intake is shown to get you 15~20 WHP/WTQ across the rev range. GM doesn't advertise it as adding more power for some reason, but there is someone who did a dyno to show the improvement. A pretty small performance bump for the price, but it is nice eye candy, I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18SS1LE (Post 11061981)
any idea if this will make the SC whine a bit more like the Roto Fab?

Supposedly, that whine comes from the way the air flows from the intake to the throttle body, and then the intake manifold. The stock airbox makes the whine, but the thick plastic helps conceal it greatly.

The GM CAI has a little spacer plate that goes between the throttle body and intake manifold. It comes with associated gaskets and longer bolts. The spacer plate has a little lip at the bottom, which gets rid of the whine. If you want to hear the whine, just don't install that plate.

hotlap 08-29-2021 09:05 AM

I noticed that the power comes on differently on my 20 1LE (M6) compared to the 16 (A8) and 18 (M6) 2SSes. There is a real surge at ~3,800 rpm. Like the engine come alive a few hundred rpm later but the hit is stronger.

Do you guys think that is the CAI and tune?

Other difference is that this engine was a hand built engine from the Bowling Green Performance Build Center.

Possible difference how ELSD is calibrated with the engine?

hotlap 08-29-2021 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OneGrumpyUncle (Post 11062008)
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the car when I was able to get an allocation because who knows when I would have been able to get another one. Like Ken mentioned though I've just read lots of good things about the intake with the tune applied and how the drivability is remarkably changed for just a CAI. Especially one that is covered by the warranty. I'm just frustrated that there isn't some way to find out more info on its status considering that these are performance cars and this is a performance part. But that's what happens with companies these days I guess. No one knows what anyone else is doing.

Another aspect of ordering the CAI with the car is that the car will be numbers matching correct. Unmodified.

My involvement with classic muscle cars, and posting 1/4 mile time here, makes me aware of the importance of unmodified.

Could you add it as a separate line item on your dealer order?