CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - NY / NJ / PA (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Moving to NJ (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583642)

Vlad1995 10-25-2020 05:47 PM

Moving to NJ

What’s going on guys. Has any of you recently moved to NJ? Was wondering what the process is as far as transferring your license and car over? As well as how do y’all get modified cars through inspection?

20Bluezl1 10-25-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad1995 (Post 10891607)
What’s going on guys. Has any of you recently moved to NJ? Was wondering what the process is as far as transferring your license and car over? As well as how do y’all get modified cars through inspection?

Welcome to NJ as far as transferring DMV is a nightmare right now. Some people are actually doing the line over night and then selling the spot.

As to paperwork needed you need your 6 points of id, insurance and car title.

Where in NJ did you move?

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/6pointid.htm

Vlad1995 10-26-2020 07:57 PM

Thanks for the information, I’m gonna be up in Jackson

20Bluezl1 10-26-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad1995 (Post 10892294)
Thanks for the information, I’m gonna be up in Jackson

So you will be by Six flags, I'm about 1½ from there.

Vlad1995 10-27-2020 11:45 AM

Yup about 10 min from 6flags

RotoRocker 10-27-2020 12:30 PM

I'm currently in Manalapan right down the road from you. Welcome

gclark1 10-27-2020 01:53 PM

I recently moved from NY. Putting aside the possible lengthy wait times because of COVID 19 it was simple. Everything you need is available on line. I simply surrender my license took a new picture and I had a NJ license. Then you can register your vehicles. Now as far as modifications on vehicles and inspecting them,, I don't know. I was worried myself I have older cars with roll cages and nitrous But I was pleasantly surprised to be informed older classic cars are exempt from inspections. Now my 2020 Camaro SS is still stock so no worries,,,yet

arpad_m 10-27-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gclark1 (Post 10892730)
I recently moved from NY. Putting aside the possible lengthy wait times because of COVID 19 it was simple. Everything you need is available on line. I simply surrender my license took a new picture and I had a NJ license. Then you can register your vehicles. Now as far as modifications on vehicles and inspecting them,, I don't know. I was worried myself I have older cars with roll cages and nitrous But I was pleasantly surprised to be informed older classic cars are exempt from inspections. Now my 2020 Camaro SS is still stock so no worries,,,yet

"Yet" being the operative word :D

As far as I can tell, inspection here isn't overly taxing, if you have cats, the car doesn't roll coal on quarter throttle and in general looks stock enough, plus the OBD-II test passes, you'll get the sticker. Neighbor had to restore the OEM catback temporarily to get it to pass, straight pipes are an instant no-no :laughabove:

Vlad1995 10-27-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RotoRocker (Post 10892686)
I'm currently in Manalapan right down the road from you. Welcome

Actually looked at a few houses over there, super nice area

Vlad1995 10-27-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 10892760)
"Yet" being the operative word :D

As far as I can tell, inspection here isn't overly taxing, if you have cats, the car doesn't roll coal on quarter throttle and in general looks stock enough, plus the OBD-II test passes, you'll get the sticker. Neighbor had to restore the OEM catback temporarily to get it to pass, straight pipes are an instant no-no :laughabove:

Interesting I’ve been told by a few people that as long as the car passes the obd2 they won’t care, cause they don’t look under the car to see if the cats are there

arpad_m 10-27-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad1995 (Post 10892936)
Interesting I’ve been told by a few people that as long as the car passes the obd2 they won’t care, cause they don’t look under the car to see if the cats are there

It may depend on the county and the specific place, too.

Last time it was my wife's turn in taking the SUV, the inspector at the station used a camera to check the underbody and then did the OBD-II test. I'm pretty sure a bulge looking like a cat will pass the camera check, if that's a concern ;)

Vlad1995 10-28-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 10892997)
It may depend on the county and the specific place, too.

Last time it was my wife's turn in taking the SUV, the inspector at the station used a camera to check the underbody and then did the OBD-II test. I'm pretty sure a bulge looking like a cat will pass the camera check, if that's a concern ;)

Hopefully they don’t do that to me 😂😂😂

Joey Soul 11-03-2020 08:11 PM

inspections changed a few years ago, now they only check for cats with camera and obd2 plug in. Readiness codes on the ecu etc. Nothing else is checked. I've been through in slammed 240sx scraping over the old suspension checker with a unmuffled 3inch exhaust and tints. It passed.