CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Mid Engine Camaro? What do you think about this concept? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558815)

Blackmonba6Gen 07-22-2019 10:52 AM

Mid Engine Camaro? What do you think about this concept?

This question I am about to ask will stir the pot a little bit(just 4 fun)..do you think GM will create or even think about a Mid Engine Camaro? Since the Trunk of the 6th are hard to get a few items in..I can actually see the engine in the rear of the camaro and the front having alot of space! If so this will be legendary for camaro's going forward which will have a leg up on Mustangs. Do you think it will be possible which will show us a new Z28 version we never thought of or chalk it up as a loss?

Cannon Green 07-22-2019 10:55 AM

Lets get it

shaffe 07-22-2019 11:04 AM

While it would be cool and really shake things up, never gonna happen. Camaro needs a shared architecture to survive so unless Cadillac is gonna have some mid engine sedans never gonna happen.

ctrlz 07-22-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmonba6Gen (Post 10577933)
do you think GM will create or even think about a Mid Engine Camaro?

No. For Camaro production to continue it will have to be built on a common platform shared by other GM vehicles. I can't see it sharing a platform with the Corvette because that would be some pretty serious market cannibalization and there would be no point in producing both vehicles.

90503 07-22-2019 11:10 AM

If anything ever goes mid Camaro, it will likely be a battery pack of some kind...

Corvette has just gone decades beyond Camaro. I would keep an eye on the new Cadillacs to see what may be in store for Camaro.

All good....Camaro gave the 'Vette a run for it's money recently....but not anymore.

Baldilocks01SS 07-22-2019 11:13 AM

With coupes and sedans going the way of the DoDo bird, we'll be lucky even to see a 7th Generation Camaro, let alone a radically redesigned one.

ron8879 07-22-2019 11:14 AM

Just don't see it. The corvette went mid engine for differentiation but also because they had tapped as much performance as they can with front engine. I don't think the camaro is at that point and I see more hybrid tech coming for the camaro to be honest.

Camaro_QC 07-22-2019 11:24 AM

If they would be making a mid engine Camaro, the front hood would get a lot smaller since they would to move the whole cabin FWD to make some room for the engine. Then you'd be struck with the same issue.. no room in front.

Plus, Camaro is made to be a sport car for smaller budget. Making it mid engine would increase the price of the car dramatically and GM would lose a lot of potential buyers (like me who got a base model cause it is what I can afford).

If they want to kill the Camaro sale and lose money, I bet they would do it.

As said above if they want the Camaro to survive, it has to share the platform with something else and that won't be the corvette.

You can keep dreaming haha.

396ssrat 07-22-2019 11:27 AM

Never going to happen. It will go extinct before that ever happens. Domestic mfg has laid down for passenger car production (at least US built). The days are limited.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan 07-22-2019 01:27 PM

Technically, the next camaro could be slightly "mid" due to some hybrid rumors. But no, that's too much change going on.

John_S 07-22-2019 01:51 PM

I think the chances of the camaro going EV are much higher than mid engine.

JT58 07-22-2019 02:03 PM

No, with the huge investment and low price of the C8 Corvette we will be lucky to even see another Gen Camaro. Now I see why Chevy may be canceling the next Gen Camaro.

Lazerbrainz2k3 07-22-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_QC (Post 10577969)
If they would be making a mid engine Camaro, the front hood would get a lot smaller since they would to move the whole cabin FWD to make some room for the engine. Then you'd be struck with the same issue.. no room in front.

Plus, Camaro is made to be a sport car for smaller budget. Making it mid engine would increase the price of the car dramatically and GM would lose a lot of potential buyers (like me who got a base model cause it is what I can afford).

The C8 still has more cargo volume than the 6th gen Camaro, and I think the potential for decent trunk space in a mid-engine Alpha platform variant would be even better than with the new Corvette's platform.

As for increasing the price dramatically, it was generally assumed that the same thing would happen to the Corvette, but look how that turned out.