CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   SS 1LE vs. Mach 1 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590653)

STReddy1999 04-05-2021 09:32 PM

SS 1LE vs. Mach 1

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a thread with Mach 1 in the title besides one where the author was asking if the Mach 1 will be a hybrid. The configurator for the Mach 1 has been on Ford's website for a little bit now so I decided to compare the SS 1LE with the Mach 1 in terms of options and pricing. My goal was to build two cars that had similar features and see what the price difference was.

2021 Camaro SS: $50,295
-2SS Coupe
-6-speed Manual
-1LE Track Performance Package
-PDR

2021 Mustang Mach 1: $59,010
-Mach 1 Premium
-6-speed Manual
-Mach 1 Handling Package

Important to note is the Mach 1 Handling Package is $3,500. I felt that was necessary because the stock tires are 275 rear and 255 front, this package gives it 315 rear and 305 front. I felt that was fair, but if you don't think so just take $3,500 off the Mach 1. Doesn't matter anyways, though, because the Mach 1 is $8,715 more. So for the price comparison, I think the Camaro wins handily.

Price comparison out of the way, the features for both cars are relatively identical. I put the PDR on the Camaro just because (the price difference is $10,015 if I remove it), I don't see anything in the Mach 1's description to suggest it has such a feature except it says it has "Track Apps". I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two yet, but I'd imagine the Mach 1 will have slightly better max lateral G because of the increased track width front and rear and the Cup 2 tires. Ultimately, I think the Mach 1 still loses around a track to the SS 1LE because of the weight, and the chassis it sits on is inferior to the Alpha. Thoughts?

BlaqWhole 04-06-2021 01:45 AM

I'm not really a fan of the Mach 1. I simply don't knowhow many different versions of PP1ish-PP2ish configurations Ford thinks they have to throw out there.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I do not think the M1 is going to match the SLE at all around a track.

What Ford should have done was to make the Mach 1 a lower HP version of the GT500 instead of making it a higher HP version of the GT.

cdb95z28 04-06-2021 04:03 AM

SS 1LE will still dominate the road course

CHerna 04-06-2021 05:47 AM

The Mach 1 gets a Tremec and not the MT82, so perhaps it will be a decent car. Someone down the street from me (presumably a Ford employee) has different Mach 1's parked in their driveway regularly. They don't look great, but they don't look terrible either. Hard to put my finger on it.

TheRealJA105 04-06-2021 07:19 AM

Just wait for Sam Strano's results, he just bought a Mach 1 and had 2 SS1LEs.

Price wise absolutely the 1LE wins and I think it still has the performance covered too, but if it doesn't just take your saved money and throw on some 19s with those same 305/315 tires as the Mach 1 and it will be back in front again.

ST1LE 04-06-2021 07:50 AM

I could be wrong, but didnt think the Mach 1 could come with options the 2SS has like heated/ventilated seats and heated steering wheel. You added PDR to the 1LE, but that is not an option on the Mach 1 either.

To me, the Mach 1 is overpriced based on content and performance. I think it looks pretty good though, especially with the Handling Pack wheels.

Bosse'sBoss 04-06-2021 08:24 AM

It would be a very interesting H2H. I bet that the best performance for the $ would be from the Camaro.

shaffe 04-06-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaqWhole (Post 10987056)
I'm not really a fan of the Mach 1. I simply don't knowhow many different versions of PP1ish-PP2ish configurations Ford thinks they have to throw out there.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I do not think the M1 is going to match the SLE at all around a track.

What Ford should have done was to make the Mach 1 a lower HP version of the GT500 instead of making it a higher HP version of the GT.

Agreed. the Mach 1 is a decent package - better than the Bullitt but nothing special. I think the Mach might be able to come close to matching the performance of the SS1LE, but I still expect the 1LE to come out on top. Also the SS1LE is a much much better value.

I agree with Blaq, it shouldn't have been another handling car. The mach 1 historically has never been that. They should have tried to get the power over 500 and made it a boulevard bruiser.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10987164)
I could be wrong, but didnt think the Mach 1 could come with options the 2SS has like heated/ventilated seats and heated steering wheel. You added PDR to the 1LE, but that is not an option on the Mach 1 either.

To me, the Mach 1 is overpriced based on content and performance. I think it looks pretty good though, especially with the Handling Pack wheels.

This ^ the Mach 1 w/ handling pack looks killler. Overprice though Even if it somehow tops the 1LE, the 1LE is such a better value

MBSS1LE 04-06-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STReddy1999 (Post 10986989)
I'm sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a thread with Mach 1 in the title besides one where the author was asking if the Mach 1 will be a hybrid. The configurator for the Mach 1 has been on Ford's website for a little bit now so I decided to compare the SS 1LE with the Mach 1 in terms of options and pricing. My goal was to build two cars that had similar features and see what the price difference was.

2021 Camaro SS: $50,295
-2SS Coupe
-6-speed Manual
-1LE Track Performance Package
-PDR

2021 Mustang Mach 1: $59,010
-Mach 1 Premium
-6-speed Manual
-Mach 1 Handling Package

Important to note is the Mach 1 Handling Package is $3,500. I felt that was necessary because the stock tires are 275 rear and 255 front, this package gives it 315 rear and 305 front. I felt that was fair, but if you don't think so just take $3,500 off the Mach 1. Doesn't matter anyways, though, because the Mach 1 is $8,715 more. So for the price comparison, I think the Camaro wins handily.

Price comparison out of the way, the features for both cars are relatively identical. I put the PDR on the Camaro just because (the price difference is $10,015 if I remove it), I don't see anything in the Mach 1's description to suggest it has such a feature except it says it has "Track Apps". I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two yet, but I'd imagine the Mach 1 will have slightly better max lateral G because of the increased track width front and rear and the Cup 2 tires. Ultimately, I think the Mach 1 still loses around a track to the SS 1LE because of the weight, and the chassis it sits on is inferior to the Alpha. Thoughts?

Absolutely the Handling Package is a must on the Mach 1 if you are going to do a direct comparison to a 1LE-equipped SS. Even if the overall performance is similar, the Camaro is still going to the the better value. I don't think anyone can argue that. Too many people see the Mach 1 as a GT350 replacement rather than a successor to the 2012-2013 Boss 302. Basically, an upgraded Mustang GT.

BlaqWhole 04-06-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 10987204)
Agreed. the Mach 1 is a decent package - better than the Bullitt but nothing special. I think the Mach might be able to come close to matching the performance of the SS1LE, but I still expect the 1LE to come out on top. Also the SS1LE is a much much better value.

I agree with Blaq, it shouldn't have been another handling car. The mach 1 historically has never been that. They should have tried to get the power over 500 and made it a boulevard bruiser.

This ^ the Mach 1 w/ handling pack looks killler. Overprice though Even if it somehow tops the 1LE, the 1LE is such a better value

Back in the New Edge days the Mach 1 was basically just a Cobra with a solid axle and a functional Shaker hood. I probably would have preferred it over the Cobra because that hood was menacing. Now switching back to S550, I feel that at some point Ford should have made a Mustang that was basically a detuned GT500. Maybe something like a supercharged PP1 but choked down to like 630-670 HP with full options and coming in at $64K. But I also feel that it would have taken away from the GT500 since most people probably would have opted for that instead of the Shelby. Point tho is that Ford should have realized the futility of trying to beat the 6th Gen Camaro with the S550 on a track and switched gears.

shaffe 04-06-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaqWhole (Post 10987242)
Back in the New Edge days the Mach 1 was basically just a Cobra with a solid axle and a functional Shaker hood. I probably would have preferred it over the Cobra because that hood was menacing. Now switching back to S550, I feel that at some point Ford should have made a Mustang that was basically a detuned GT500. Maybe something like a supercharged PP1 but choked down to like 630-670 HP with full options and coming in at $64K. But I also feel that it would have taken away from the GT500 since most people probably would have opted for that instead of the Shelby. Point tho is that Ford should have realized the futility of trying to beat the 6th Gen Camaro with the S550 on a track and switched gears.

Agreed for the most part, chasing the SSLE is a bad strategy.

Bhobbs 04-06-2021 11:07 AM

It’s clear the Mach 1 doesn’t have to perform better than the 1LE because the Camaro’s better performance isn’t translating to sales.

It’s too bad GM doesn’t invest in the Camaro. Putting the LT2 in the Camaro would likely get a bump in sales. GM has no idea how to manage the Camaro brand.

Rayvan 04-06-2021 12:00 PM

Still a deal-breaker with the ridiculous Civic-sized fuel tank. No thanks...

STReddy1999 04-06-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10987164)

The Mach 1 Premium has heated/ventilated RECARO seats and a heated steering wheel, at least it says so on Ford's configurator. The premium's standard seats are leather/cloth but they have available full leather RECARO seats for $1,595. I do agree that there was no reason for me to add PDR, and the price difference is even more embarrassing for Ford had I not added that to the SS.