CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Unexplained curb rash... suggestions? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624976)

Annihilate 04-18-2024 10:17 AM

Unexplained curb rash... suggestions?

2 Attachment(s)
Greetings,

SO I got quoted for my PPF two days ago, and I wasn't able to wash the car before bringing it up for my appointment.

I had just washed the car the previous Sunday, so we are talking two days here.

As we are walking around the car, I notice some dirt and what appear to be scratches on my front passenger wheel. I try to play ignorant with myself, and reason it must just be some extra mud from when I washed the car. I haven't given the wheels a good proper cleaning yet, and I have a gravel/dirt driveway that I wash in.

I get home, clean up the area a bit, and find they are indeed scratched. Now I don't know when this happened as I tend to park far away from curbs when I am in the road, but it did happen. Only have 600 miles too, I'm beyond myself.

Here are two different views...

Now its not THAT bad, and if all else fails I can get a replacement wheel for around $500... I'd rather NOT do that.
On that note, does anyone know where I can find the exact part number for this wheel, or the paint color code?

So my question is, what should I do? And does anyone know a fairly reasonably priced refinish/polishing/repair shop in the Detroit Metro area thats quality and trustworthy?

Or if there is something I could do that could cover this up or repair it, where should I start?

Interested in the responses, thanks!

22SS1LE 04-18-2024 10:22 AM

gloss black, polish them up. It wont fully remove it but I will bet it will make it much more difficult to notice.

m6-lt1 04-18-2024 10:50 AM

You can get it repainted for probably around 150 or less at a local wheel repair shop.

Annihilate 04-18-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m6-lt1 (Post 11419259)
You can get it repainted for probably around 150 or less at a local wheel repair shop.

Think they will be able to match it pretty well?

Curr 04-18-2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annihilate (Post 11419265)
Think they will be able to match it pretty well?

Completely depends on the skill of the laborers.

I usually call up the local Porsche dealer and ask who they use for their high end wheel reconditioning.

It's how I found my "guy" where I live.

I had two C7 gloss black rims damaged 7 years ago and they fixed the dent, and repainted / blended them. I couldn't find the repair in direct sunlight.

They remembered me yesterday when I dropped off my freshly dented 1LE wheel (FU Mass potholes...)

Annihilate 04-18-2024 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curr (Post 11419272)
Completely depends on the skill of the laborers.

I usually call up the local Porsche dealer and ask who they use for their high end wheel reconditioning.

It's how I found my "guy" where I live.

I had two C7 gloss black rims damaged 7 years ago and they fixed the dent, and repainted / blended them. I couldn't find the repair in direct sunlight.

They remembered me yesterday when I dropped off my freshly dented 1LE wheel (FU Mass potholes...)

Not a bad idea!

Always good to have a "guy"

Annihilate 04-19-2024 07:40 AM

I've read a light polishing could help.

The scratches aren't as bad as they look and I am wondering if I could potentially polish them out.

Does anybody have a good polish for the wheels that they would suggest?