Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   2011 LLT bites the dust... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459182)

Patrick864 RS 07-07-2016 01:31 PM

2011 LLT bites the dust...

As I posted in my forced induction thread yesterday...my car decided to just shut off and die without any warning whatsoever on the 4th. No warning lights, no smoke, no smell, no engine trouble before. Got it towed to the dealership and they said its dead. I doubt they did any testing and just tried to crank it. I wanted to get it taken to the shop that installed my supercharger. Mine is a 2011 and I got it a little over 5 years ago. Supercharger a little over 2 years. And I've always had my oil changed routinely without a problem. Car ran like a champ with no problems. 55000 miles. Then I went to town to Walmart and on the way back it just shut off going down the road...and that was all she wrote. Don't know what I'm going to do moving forward but it's not going to be easy. Especially with the supercharger. I can't just cut ties and lose it all. Worst case scenario.

Dblock5 07-07-2016 06:42 PM

Weird that it would just shut off and never turn over again.

Sorry about your luck

Patrick864 RS 07-07-2016 07:00 PM

I agree. I've read that it's a common problem with the LLTs. And how I'm like the 3rd forum member over the past month that has had this happen. I'm not putting a used motor into it and it mess up too...so I may just have to part it out and take what I can get. Such a shame for a 2011 to do this.

Kenny Camaro 07-07-2016 07:36 PM

Man, sorry to hear that. Used motors are pretty cheap, I'd look into it. Beautiful car to just part out. Could probibly get a crate motor, brand new, installed for a reasonable price too. Worth it to at least check out prices and weigh your options. Has to be cheaper than a whole new ride. Good luck!

Patrick864 RS 07-07-2016 08:27 PM

I'm not giving up all hope yet. Getting back in touch with the dealership tomorrow and also the shop that installed my supercharger to weigh my options. I definitely agree, I love my car and I can't believe that I'm at this point today. When it's ran perfect for the 5 years I've had it. I'll update everyone when I know! It's just tough because I still want the supercharger if I get a new engine. So we will see. Thanks for the input man!

Dblock5 07-07-2016 09:23 PM

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, I'm very curious about what the dealership is going to say.

Patrick864 RS 07-08-2016 03:50 PM

Just got back from the dealership and the total cost for a new engine and install/supercharger transfer is going to be about $6,707. $3,907 for the engine. $2,090 for the install and $400 taxes. Input?

Linker239 07-08-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick864 RS (Post 9194963)
Just got back from the dealership and the total cost for a new engine and install/supercharger transfer is going to be about $6,707. $3,907 for the engine. $2,090 for the install and $400 taxes. Input?

It just depends on if you think it's worth it, and the personal value of the car to you, however that would be a significant portion on a new car.

Patrick864 RS 07-08-2016 05:01 PM

Agreed. Me personally, I think keeping the supercharger off and selling it, and then installing the new engine and selling the car is my route. Let it be somebody else's problem and plus I'm not going to get more for it than what I'm going to when it has a brand new motor. I still have about 3 places to call Monday to see their price so the decision isn't final yet. But that's the way I'm leaning. Because I really love the new 6th gens...it just all comes down to $$$.

Black Knight 07-09-2016 06:08 AM

2000$ for the install is way too much . I would go with a speed shop if your not comfortable with install , or better yet I know ipf Had specific shops that if installed their would come with a warranty .

Patrick864 RS 07-09-2016 01:10 PM

Yeah the dealerships are always high with install. But that's to remove and install the supercharger too along with the engine. Like I said, I have 3 shops that are going to give me an estimate Monday. So I'll know how this price stands with others. Even though it is almost $7k I thought it was going to be way more. Thankfully I was wrong.

djrasras 07-11-2016 06:57 AM

When my engine got a spun bearing 6 months ago, I couldn't afford the new engine route that you are taking, so I took off the supercharger myself, got a used LLT with 55k miles installed for 4k total parts and labor, then sold the supercharger to pay for all that. Would of loved to get a new engine and keep the supercharger, but I had no cash at the moment so I did what I had to do.

If you are planning on keeping the car it looks like you are taking the best option. I want to keep my car but there isn't much point considering I still have a used (although stock) engine that can go at any time since the rings probably weren't seated properly by the original owner.

spyderbuddy 07-11-2016 11:58 AM

What type of oil are y'all using and how often are you changing it.

I have 74,000 on my 2010 2Lt V6 with the LLT Engine.
I Use Mobil One Oil with a Wix Filter,
And Have or Change it every 3000 Miles or So.

So Far No Problems. Also Check My oil every time i Fill up. (Cold engine)

RichSS2006 07-11-2016 04:31 PM

I recently helped a fellow member swapped out a blown LLT for a new crate engine in my garage. Not too bad or hard. Removed exhaust and trans from underneath. Pulled motor out of the top. He's currently breaking it in before reinstalling the SC. Work with the parts manager at the dealer. They will give discounts on big ticket items like crate engines. If I lived closer I'd give you a hand. Good luck, Rich