CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Parking brake doesn't automatically release (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622625)

dfwcowboy 01-29-2024 07:24 PM

Parking brake doesn't automatically release

It doesn't happen every time, but about 1 out of 3 times the parking brake refuses to release when I let the clutch out. Never happened on my M6 RS.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so what was the fix action?

dpevans 01-29-2024 07:52 PM

One thing I notice on my 24SS1LE is after I release the brake and I start out of the garage they pop like they are letting loose. Happens whenever it sits overnight not so much on short trips.

olrocker 01-29-2024 10:18 PM

It may be electric but there still may be components that need lubrication or adjustment in the mechanism.

scott_0 01-30-2024 07:30 AM

hold up, wait a minute...I just bought my 18 1le in October, so you're telling me, I dont have to actually fiddle with the button, when I'm ready to drive off?

olrocker 01-30-2024 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_0 (Post 11399912)
hold up, wait a minute...I just bought my 18 1le in October, so you're telling me, I dont have to actually fiddle with the button, when I'm ready to drive off?

Yes it has an automatic release. If you have an automatic transmission it releases automatically when shifted into drive or reverse. If you have a manual it releases automatically as you lift off the clutch and accelerate in gear.

speedyink1 01-30-2024 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpevans (Post 11399836)
One thing I notice on my 24SS1LE is after I release the brake and I start out of the garage they pop like they are letting loose. Happens whenever it sits overnight not so much on short trips.

That seems wrong.. Mine can sits for weeks and still not need to pop to let loose.

I noticed the auto brake off feature, but I dunno, probably just me, but I prefer using the damn button :bonk:

Christian1LE 01-30-2024 10:00 AM

Mine always feels weird, sometimes it pops out and sometimes I feel like it's stuck and doesnt let me move(I never try to push through it though). I have a Manual. I normally always unlock manually with the button now.

ctrlz 01-30-2024 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwcowboy (Post 11399824)
about 1 out of 3 times the parking brake refuses to release when I let the clutch out. Never happened on my M6 RS.

I have 2SS and use the parking brake twice per day. never any issues. I manually set and release with the button. No hills in south jersey so I have no real need for any auto-release functionality, though i have occasionally encountered it when I didn't move the electric switch enough.

SS with the brembros has cable style parking brake system. I believe the stock RS has the screw-type piston system.

bandier 01-30-2024 02:17 PM

I have a '21 LT1 Auto, when the parking brake is engaged and I'm ready to go, I just give a little gas and she breaks free. It does not release when putting into drive or reverse as someone said in a previous post, but releases when giving some gas after putting into drive or reverse.

Ventmaster 01-30-2024 02:45 PM

Have you been having wetter than usual weather? As we know brake discs will show a little rust after sitting for even a short while when put up wet. If the rear brake pads are pressed up against it at that time, they may be a little reluctant to let go. I think the "pop" some folks are experiencing is normal.
I know on my manual if I forget to release the brake, the car will "remind" me it's still set with reluctance to pull away when I'm letting out the clutch. If I start to go a second time without releasing, she'll go without issue (self-release), but that's something I try not to do cuz I'm conscientious (anal) about clutch/drivetrain wear and try not to use 1 more RPM than necessary to pull away smoothly without stalling. Been driving manuals for 50 years and I still don't want to look like an amateur!
OP maybe your clutch sensitivity is just getting better? But if she just won't let go, I'd take the time to release and take her to the doctor- I mean dealer. :happy0180:

haggler 01-30-2024 03:38 PM

It will release on on clutch out and throttle, but I dont like the feeling as there is a bit of delay from the release and it seems like the car will stall. I always manually disengage the e-brake so its routine.

Anjilslaire 01-30-2024 05:17 PM

I was today years old when I learned this, thanks :)

dfwcowboy 01-30-2024 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ventmaster (Post 11400039)
Have you been having wetter than usual weather? As we know brake discs will show a little rust after sitting for even a short while when put up wet. If the rear brake pads are pressed up against it at that time, they may be a little reluctant to let go. I think the "pop" some folks are experiencing is normal.
I know on my manual if I forget to release the brake, the car will "remind" me it's still set with reluctance to pull away when I'm letting out the clutch. If I start to go a second time without releasing, she'll go without issue (self-release), but that's something I try not to do cuz I'm conscientious (anal) about clutch/drivetrain wear and try not to use 1 more RPM than necessary to pull away smoothly without stalling. Been driving manuals for 50 years and I still don't want to look like an amateur!
OP maybe your clutch sensitivity is just getting better? But if she just won't let go, I'd take the time to release and take her to the doctor- I mean dealer. :happy0180:

The car is garaged and I don’t drive it in the rain, so I don’t think that is it. It also does it randomly, as in leaving the house it may not do it, but then does it an hour later when leaving my destination.

ctrlz 01-31-2024 09:04 AM

I think you have the cable release system. I think a good start would be to put this on a lift, or back it up on ramps (chock the front wheels). Then watch and listen to the linkage as someone engages and disengages the brake. You may have something binding, which I think is most likely. if not the cable, then maybe in one of the rear hubs. Hopefully you can tell which one to pull.