CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launching Discussion (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=256)
-   -   5.99@119 and 149mph 1/4 mile pass (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563568)

laynlo15 10-12-2019 09:38 PM

5.99@119 and 149mph 1/4 mile pass

Well I achieved one goal and almost another. I wanted to run 5s in the 1/8, did that. Wanted to run 9.20s, didn't do that, wanted to run 150 mph and almost did that with 149mph pass. DA was -300 and temps in the upper 50s. We just didn't have the right tune to launch the car. Probably needed a couple degrees pulled out, maybe a 2nd gear launch. Not sure, just wasn't expecting it not to hook. Almost aborted the 5.99 pass as it got kinda loose when it shifted to 2nd and headed toward the center line but I was balls deep and stayed in it. Could have probably run 5.80s but was just spinning too much in second.

Joshinator99 10-12-2019 10:33 PM

Nice runs even with the traction issues. That DA is damn good! Breaking into the 5’s in the 1/8th and 149 in the 1/4 is putting it to really good use.

KingLT1 10-12-2019 10:58 PM

5's in the 1/8 is getting it.

laynlo15 10-13-2019 07:32 AM

I'm pretty sure its unloading the chassis, there were a few having traction issues also but mine was very consistent in where it was breaking the tires loose. So I think I'm going back Friday night and putting some timing in and launching in second gear. It was really making some hp for sure. We might see similar DAs Friday but will be just a little warmer. Honestly it hooked better with the stock trailing arms and control arms. I guess I'll do the cradle lock outs this winter and try to calm the chassis down. According to Gforce that's why my Aluminum DS broke at the LS fest. Too much power and too much movement.

Joshinator99 10-13-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 10639302)
Honestly it hooked better with the stock trailing arms and control arms. I guess I'll do the cradle lock outs this winter and try to calm the chassis down. According to Gforce that's why my Aluminum DS broke at the LS fest. Too much power and too much movement.

What are you running for trailing/control arms now? BMR? I was thinking of doing those but if they’re a waste of money I’d rather find out now lol.

laynlo15 10-13-2019 09:10 AM

Bmr but I can't say they are causing this. Its probably a combination of several things.

laynlo15 10-13-2019 09:15 AM

I'm going to set up another tune for 2nd gear launch and then pull a couple degrees of timing out for the 1st gear launch. We'll see which one works the best. I've been hesitant on 2nd gear launch but now that we are almost at the end of the season I'm not as worried about it so might as well try it. I basically do the same thing in roll racing at Street Car Takeover, launch it and slap it over into drive and let it eat. If it works like others have done I'll have the Steven Rankin build it this winter and launch in second next year all the time cause I'm not done making more power.

KingLT1 10-13-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 10639348)
I'm going to set up another tune for 2nd gear launch and then pull a couple degrees of timing out for the 1st gear launch. We'll see which one works the best. I've been hesitant on 2nd gear launch but now that we are almost at the end of the season I'm not as worried about it so might as well try it. I basically do the same thing in roll racing at Street Car Takeover, launch it and slap it over into drive and let it eat. If it works like others have done I'll have the Steven Rankin build it this winter and launch in second next year all the time cause I'm not done making more power.

You should get the TCM tuned so you can just leave it in manual mode to hold gear and it will still shift at commanded mph without needing to slap the shifter over. Easy to do and works much better. All you have to do is EDIT the TUTD tables in the TCM. They are set at a mph higher then the Rev limiter so it will never shift.

laynlo15 10-13-2019 01:17 PM

That's what I do in roll racing, just roll up in second at 40 mph nail it and slap the baby on the ass and let it shift out automatically. I'll talk to Mike to see what he can do for launching it in second. Still want to work on 1st gear launch but may just have too much power to make it work even pulling power out of it. I got a couple more chances this month to figure it out and then our track is closing. They'll have a TNT in November but even if its open to run they don't prep the track so probably not worth going. They are having a heads up race Friday so will probably try again.

KingLT1 10-13-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 10639509)
That's what I do in roll racing, just roll up in second at 40 mph nail it and slap the baby on the ass and let it shift out automatically. I'll talk to Mike to see what he can do for launching it in second. Still want to work on 1st gear launch but may just have too much power to make it work even pulling power out of it. I got a couple more chances this month to figure it out and then our track is closing. They'll have a TNT in November but even if its open to run they don't prep the track so probably not worth going. They are having a heads up race Friday so will probably try again.

You said in your previous post that you have to manually slap the shifter over to drive after you floor it from a second gear roll. That isn't what I am talking about. What I was referring to is leaving it in manual mode at all times and never needing to touch the shifter.

laynlo15 10-13-2019 06:16 PM

Huh, that I've not heard of. I'm going to be working with Steve Rankin that builds the A8 for Shizzy, Swanson and may others to work out the Tranny for next weekend. My tranny has basically not been touched except for some line pressure changes and that's it. Probably why its lasted 230 plus passes down the track and 12,750 miles.

KingLT1 10-13-2019 08:11 PM

Like I said previously all manual mode does is set each gear so it will hit the Rev limiter before ever shifting so you have to manually shift it or move the shifter to D. You can adjust those tables so it stays in manual mode, meaning anything under X MPH you still have to shift it, but if you floor it, the trans will shift at whatever MPH each gear is set to just like it was in Drive. However this way works better because you can pedal it if the tires break loose and it will not shift until the car reaches commanded mph.

laynlo15 10-13-2019 08:46 PM

I don't know anything about the tranny tables. Maybe to old to learn those. Mine is disabled now.

wnta1ss 10-14-2019 06:40 AM

Congrats on getting into the 5s at the 1/8 :thumbup: