CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZLE Road Trip (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554928)

SJFGTO 05-23-2019 08:49 AM

ZLE Road Trip

I just completed a 10 day, 2230 mile road trip in the ZE. Never a hiccup. Combined highway/city mileage was 20.2. Highest highway MPG was 24.2. Even modified, the LT4 never skipped a beat, never knocked, ran at a constant 183-185 temp. Thank you GM and Vengeance Racing! Those PS4s are the key to long driving in this car. Never worried about rain, slightly better ride, less worries about a nail or screw causing an issue. The car was a blast on the mountain roads in Virginia through middle Pennsylvania, the seats were decent for long highway stretches and the SC whine never got old. Got stopped, photographed, questioned, videoed more times than I can count. Most people had never heard of a ZL1 1 LE, and the few that did had never seen one in person. This car is amazing. So incredibly fast and capable on the track, but rock solid reliable over a 2000 mile road trip. Too cool!

BAD MOOOFOOO 05-23-2019 09:54 AM

:thumb: Do you have two sets of wheels? If so, what did you go with for the second set?

Scottyz 05-23-2019 11:31 AM

That’s awesome. I’m still waiting for one rim to arrive. When I picked up my car at the dealer I ordered new 2015 Z28 rims with new PS4S tires. Can’t wait for that last rim to arrive.
I can’t wait to start road tripping my ZLE. I’m just waiting for these tires as I don’t wanna ruin the GYs and would rather use them on the track.

I love how people don’t know what the ZLE is. The few people that have seen my car had no clue. Once they watch reviews it becomes pretty obvious that YES, this is a very serious car.

SJFGTO 05-23-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAD MOOOFOOO (Post 10525777)
:thumb: Do you have two sets of wheels? If so, what did you go with for the second set?

One set of wheels. Keeping the stock tires for the track where they belong.

Scottyz 05-23-2019 02:05 PM

Any pics from the trip.

SJFGTO 05-23-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyz (Post 10525981)
Any pics from the trip.

Lots with my family back in Western New York. None of my car. Quite a few people along the way took pictures but I never asked for any. I messed up there. Next time!

pauly1119 05-23-2019 07:52 PM

Thats awesome! Those are great tires. Im looking to make the change as well. I had a set on another car. What did they cost you?

SJFGTO 05-24-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauly1119 (Post 10526236)
Thats awesome! Those are great tires. Im looking to make the change as well. I had a set on another car. What did they cost you?

Got them through Tire Rack, don't remember the specifics, whatever the Tire Rack price was on their web site.

mspeed1LE 05-24-2019 12:35 PM

Great to hear! I'm planning a 4-5 week trip this summer with Camarofest IX in the middle.

Can't wait!

Silver Spear 05-24-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJFGTO (Post 10525741)
I just completed a 10 day, 2230 mile road trip in the ZE. Never a hiccup. Combined highway/city mileage was 20.2. Highest highway MPG was 24.2. Even modified, the LT4 never skipped a beat, never knocked, ran at a constant 183-185 temp. Thank you GM and Vengeance Racing! Those PS4s are the key to long driving in this car. Never worried about rain, slightly better ride, less worries about a nail or screw causing an issue. The car was a blast on the mountain roads in Virginia through middle Pennsylvania, the seats were decent for long highway stretches and the SC whine never got old. Got stopped, photographed, questioned, videoed more times than I can count. Most people had never heard of a ZL1 1 LE, and the few that did had never seen one in person. This car is amazing. So incredibly fast and capable on the track, but rock solid reliable over a 2000 mile road trip. Too cool!

Did you get stopped by Barney Fife.

https://giphy.com/gifs/lP3tMfMzr2XOU/html5

mlee 05-24-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAD MOOOFOOO (Post 10525777)

I just purchased another set of OE wheels with PS4's. Like someone else said the next best thing are the Z/28 wheels which are .5" narrower on the rear.

You just can't beat the 3Rs on the track though. I drove mine back from Detroit to Houston with a ton of rain up North with no issues but I took it real easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspeed1LE (Post 10526773)
Great to hear! I'm planning a 4-5 week trip this summer with Camarofest IX in the middle.

Can't wait!

:headbang:

SJFGTO 05-24-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Spear (Post 10526842)
Did you get stopped by Barney Fife.

https://giphy.com/gifs/lP3tMfMzr2XOU/html5

No. Got a couple of looks and one big grin from law enforcement. No business discussions however.

Northtrack 05-24-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJFGTO (Post 10525741)

+1 on the whole experience. I just finished a 3000km/1900 mile road trip from Southern Ontario to Raleigh and back. Maybe even drove some of the same roads through Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Western New York. Also on PS4's but I did the drive in 3 days and virtually all in the rain including hours of heavy rain. The car is a primarily a track car for me, but it's a surprisingly good tourer if the road surface is halfway decent - helped hugely by the PS4's. Pretty much the same MPG and overall experience. Awesomely capable car. :happy0180:

590_The_Judge 05-26-2019 02:35 AM

What was your speed to get the mileage above 20? Keeping my car under 80 ive gotten a best of 19.6...