CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6th gen Camaro EOP (end of production): September 2021 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502053)

enzia35 07-19-2017 06:40 PM

I'll be barely done paying off the car by then, lol.

RenegadeXR 07-19-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 9825309)
Well, that's good news....Four more years....Perhaps this would be a good reminder to all the doom-and-gloomers that are sure the Camaro will get canceled right away after every month's sales numbers are posted...lol...

Right, because no company in history has ever spent any R&D on a product that didn't actually ship. ;)

camaro5 07-20-2017 12:07 AM

Corvette C7 is the LAST front-engine Corvette EVER.

With the Corvette C8 moving upmarket to mid-engine exotic territory and price, the front-engine RWD Camaro will be just fine through the 7th gen.

After 7th gen - this:

http://substance.etsmtl.ca/wp-conten.../04/jetson.jpg

Dethsupp0rt 07-20-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 9824996)
I've driven a Model S P90D. Acceleration is faster and much different than my SS convertible. Car is a hoot to drive.

It's a hoot to drive in a straight line when you have a full/somewhat full battery.

Other than that, they have a long way to go to match the overall experience of even a Camaro LS/LT.

BradfordCamaro 07-20-2017 07:47 AM

Planning ahead is the way it goes in the auto sector.
We are planned up to 2025 for Honda.

Martinjlm 07-20-2017 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt (Post 9826152)
It's a hoot to drive in a straight line when you have a full/somewhat full battery.

Other than that, they have a long way to go to match the overall experience of even a Camaro LS/LT.

Handling is pretty good, too. Different, but very good.

I slalommed the beast on GM's Black Lake at Milford Proving Grounds. No pylons were killed. Having a humongous battery under the floor gives it a very low center of gravity. Having no engine in the "frunk" makes it easy to get a 50/50 weight balance. It feels different than doing slalom in a Vette or Camaro, but good times are easier to achieve.

Also got to play with it on the road in the real world for a while. It is a VERY capable car. Here it is in the driveway with my wife's Volt. They had to share the power plug for a few days.

ron scubadiver 07-20-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro5 (Post 9825963)
Corvette C7 is the LAST front-engine Corvette EVER.

With the Corvette C8 moving upmarket to mid-engine exotic territory and price, the front-engine RWD Camaro will be just fine through the 7th gen.

There is a lot of speculation going on now about the future of the Corvette. Some believe the mid engine car will be priced around where the Vette is now.

NightSkyCode 07-20-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron scubadiver (Post 9827135)
There is a lot of speculation going on now about the future of the Corvette. Some believe the mid engine car will be priced around where the Vette is now.

That makes sense, you know.. Since wages are down and unemployment is up. SO increase the price! It's just science.

douglas2742 07-20-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 9824996)
Do not be surprised. Also could be a smaller ICE with strong electric motors. Check out the Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...id-first-ride/

671 combined hp (ICE + eMotors) .... 0-60 in 3.2s. Even a ZL1 will be in for a surprise pulling up to the light with one of these discreet killers at a SoCal stoplight.

Then there is the Tesla Model S and the soon to come Faraday Future 991. Pure electrics that can achieve sub-3s 0-60 if the conditions are right (sufficient state of charge, ambient temperature, electric drive system temperature, etc). I've driven a Model S P90D. Acceleration is faster and much different than my SS convertible. Car is a hoot to drive.

But without the intoxicating sound of the V8? Not interested - hearing my car's exhaust tone is as important to me as rapid acceleration. Whomever comes up with an integrated sound box for the electrics that mimics the internal combustion music is gong to make a fortune!

Martinjlm 07-20-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglas2742 (Post 9827302)
But without the intoxicating sound of the V8? Not interested - hearing my car's exhaust tone is as important to me as rapid acceleration. Whomever comes up with an integrated sound box for the electrics that mimics the internal combustion music is gong to make a fortune!

I'll just leave this right here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpX4rNtVP-g

DenverTaco07 07-20-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotfiles (Post 9825173)
Yep, I recently drove a friend's P100D. Unreal acceleration and impressive cornering because the CG is so low. As much as I hate to admit and will fight it, electric cars are the future lol

maybe. they are quick, but you know, i just took my good old Camaro on an 1800 mile road trip, good luck doing that in Tesla. i mean it can be done if you can find superchrging stations and don't mind the extra 30 to 40% drive time.

oh and Tesla couldnt get around nurburgring one time under full driving loads.

yes they are quick, but still take my rwd v8 for now.

RenegadeXR 07-20-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 9827532)
I'll just leave this right here.....

That sounds like crap. I've heard better engine sounds replicated in 99 cent racing games for mobile phones.

I don't think they know how engines work. The fake engine noise gets higher in RPMs during whats supposed to be an upshift. What?

Martinjlm 07-21-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 (Post 9827606)
maybe. they are quick, but you know, i just took my good old Camaro on an 1800 mile road trip, good luck doing that in Tesla. i mean it can be done if you can find superchrging stations and don't mind the extra 30 to 40% drive time.

oh and Tesla couldnt get around nurburgring one time under full driving loads.

yes they are quick, but still take my rwd v8 for now.

The point is not whether Tesla or any other electric can do everything a Camaro can do. The point is, the days of electric vehicles being tiny little ugly snails that can't get out of their own way are over. Most people don't take their car to the Nurburgring and will never know (or care) that the Tesla can't get around it at full load.

Today, electric cars are freaky fast, loaded with luxury content, look pretty darn good, and can travel about 300 miles on a charge on the very rare times people actually want to do that (about 6 times a year for me). And they continue to improve on all aspects through competitive development.

Electrification on some level is a very real consideration for future generations of Camaro, whether it is an electric motor to add power to a downsized ICE (Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid, next gen Nissan GT-R) or a full-blown all-electric option calibrated for performance (Tesla P100D, FF 991 or Lucid Air)

01pewterz28 07-21-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 9826986)
Handling is pretty good, too. Different, but very good.

I slalommed the beast on GM's Black Lake at Milford Proving Grounds. No pylons were killed. Having a humongous battery under the floor gives it a very low center of gravity. Having no engine in the "frunk" makes it easy to get a 50/50 weight balance. It feels different than doing slalom in a Vette or Camaro, but good times are easier to achieve.

Also got to play with it on the road in the real world for a while. It is a VERY capable car. Here it is in the driveway with my wife's Volt. They had to share the power plug for a few days.

I will say I really like them could be the 1st NON GM car I ever own.