CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   LT1 vs 1SS (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562304)

RobbyBeefcake87 09-23-2019 10:01 AM

Rev match

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOMike (Post 10625336)
It's the exact same suspension as the SS. Minus a couple of coolers that would only be needed if pushed very hard on a road course. Brembo fronts, standard rear. Appearance aside, no one would notice that difference driving.

Let's not start this LT-1 is unsafe over 60mph nonsense because it doesn't have a SS badge again.

My only complaint with the LT-1 is no RS package and non-active rev matching. Love the looks of a RS "base" front over the SS

I thought I read that it didn't have active rev match but I swear I saw a review video of one one a lot that had rev match. It was the rp productions YouTube channel.

95 imp 09-23-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverDie (Post 10625595)
A stock SS will have more grip at the dragstrip from it's wider, stickier summer-only tires stock for stock.

Did Chevy start welding the rims and tires to the LT1's so you can't change them. EVER?

And since it is the same body, wouldn't you be able to put a used set of SS rims that would fit? Or, even go down and buy an aftermarket set?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverDie (Post 10625595)
So that was a hella dumb comment for you to make.

Congratulations! You're in the lead!

95 imp 09-23-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 (Post 10625601)
I thought I read that it didn't have active rev match but I swear I saw a review video of one one a lot that had rev match. It was the rp productions YouTube channel.

I seen the same video. It did.

IOMike 09-23-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10625685)
I seen the same video. It did.

I'll look that up after work. It's been a decade since I drove a manual and that would help push me into one. I suppose if a dealer had a manual Lt-1 looking to see if it has paddles would tell us.

Petrol Head 09-23-2019 11:15 AM

If you think back to the 4th gen f-bodies, you could get a Camaro Z28 (or a Pontiac Firebird Formula) with the 350 and no options. Wind up windows, no t-tops, no cruise, cloth seats, basic radio, 16" tires, and the brakes from the base model which had the 3800 V6. At that time you could get that for barely over $20k.

I think GM was a bit over enthusiastic with the 6th gen SS, making the 6.2 only available with all the beefed up cooling, brakes, and tires. I'm ordering a 2SS as soon as the strike is over, but I definitely see a market for a Camaro V8 with no frills. They put all the extra cooling, beefier brakes, and bigger tires on the SS out of the box. Even though I'm buying one, I completely understand why people would want a V8 Camaro without all the beefed up stuff.

95 imp 09-23-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOMike (Post 10625688)
I'll look that up after work. It's been a decade since I drove a manual and that would help push me into one. I suppose if a dealer had a manual Lt-1 looking to see if it has paddles would tell us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIw_AZJGLog&t=1146s

8:03 shows rev match standard on the $34,995 base model.

hotlap 09-23-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10625682)
Did Chevy start welding the rims and tires to the LT1's so you can't change them. EVER?

And since it is the same body, wouldn't you be able to put a used set of SS rims that would fit? Or, even go down and buy an aftermarket set?

Chevy will honor the warranty of a SS and ZL1. Standard configuration or 1LE.
Quote:

Yes! Chevrolet Will Honor Your Camaro's Warranty If You Take It to the Track
Trackday trouble? No problem, says chief engineer Al Oppenheiser.

Your average car company will flip a lid if you bring its shiny new warranty-covered product to a racetrack. Mitsubishi famously refused to honor the warranties of its Lancer Evolution when its owners dared to so much push their new sporting machines in, say, a sporting manner, under competition. Bad vibes ensued. Loyalties were severed. Word gets out about this sort of thing.

Chevrolet might be one of the first manufacturers to actually extend its warranty coverage to track use. That's huge.
The man behind it? Non other than Al Oppenheiser, the Camaro ZL1's chief engineer, a diehard automotive wizard who gives credence to the "gearhead" appellation. "If you're not modifying your car and you take your production car to a track day and you have an issue with one of your parts, it's covered under warranty," he recently told Motor Authority. "We know when somebody changes their ECM calibration and we know if they changed to a cold-air intake, we can tell all that. But driving it as you break it in from the dealership, if you have a half-shaft or whatever, it's covered."

That's right: Go on, take your Camaro to the track, the parking lot, the dragstrip. If you miss a shift weaving through the cones and a conrod punches through the hood at 14,000 RPM (unlikely), then you can luxuriate in the fact that you won't need to sell your firstborn for a moment of self-indulgence. But, there's that caveat—you must resist the temptation of adding more horsepower, swapping out parts, and your beautiful ride must remain factory stock.

The policy applies to all track-oriented Camaros: the V8 SS in particular, as well as the ZL1, the forthcoming Z/28, and the 1LE and both of its available engines. The last ZL1 and Z/28 were also track-covered, so the fact that this policy is trickling down to other performance trims shows a lot of confidence on the part of GM for its sixth-gen Camaro's ability to handle competition.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-to-the-track/
The LT1 model is a street car with no cooling and all-season tires so it isn't intended for the track or drag strip. You're free to modify it any way you please. Its the ultimate platform to "do you own thing" since you're throwing away the warranty anyway.

Fraxum 09-23-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 10625099)
Pyroguy, if you want a LT4 in a Camaro then see if you can find a good used ZL1. They won’t be as cheap as an LT-1 or SS but the ZL1 is a good bang for the buck if you can afford it! That’s how I bought my ZL1, used with low miles, a 2017 for a good price. I was looking at buying a 2SS 1LE new and the ZL1 I bought was right around the same price so it seemed the better deal. It all depends though on what you want and can afford to buy and either an SS or LT-1 would be a good choice in my opinion!

Smart buy! With used 6th gen ZL1s changing hands now for under $50K. Does a $50K SS even make sense at all?

And as a performance car the LT1 is every bit the performance car the SS is. It is only missing track cooling, tires, and the SS braking in a track session will fade a little less. And what percentage of SSes ever see any kind of track?

It is a shame you need to pay for all that other stuff to get the bose head unit in a 2SS.

pyroguy 09-23-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 10625582)
Pyroguy, I think you are wanting an LT-1 version Camaro that Chevy will never build, LT4 or LT5! I owned 2 third gens, a 1982 Z28 and a 1987 IROC Z28 and always wondered why Chevy didn’t put a 350 with a 4 speed in the 1982 Z and a 350 TPI 5 speed combo in the 1987 IROC Z28. But they never did so that was my point about getting a ZL1 with the LT4 and it was only a suggestion anyway! I think some of us are living in the wrong decade wishing for a 1967-1969 with a big block, bare bones Camaro! I would love one too but we can’t go back in time! ��

I know I'm living in the wrong decade. I would LOVE to blow every bit of my paycheck on a 1969 ZL-1 in 1969. Totally not practical, totally out of this world price, but totally and completely the definition of bad @$$!! I would love to see some "LT1" trim cars sneak out with a LT4 or LT5 from Chevy just because it would be totally and completely insane! Talk about a Hellcat redeye killer, a LT1 trim Camaro with a LT5 engine. If Chevy wants to get picky call it a LT5 for a trim level, but let it decimate all!

s346k 09-23-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyroguy (Post 10625777)
I would love to see some "LT1" trim cars sneak out with a LT4 or LT5 from Chevy just because it would be totally and completely insane! Talk about a Hellcat redeye killer, a LT1 trim Camaro with a LT5 engine. If Chevy wants to get picky call it a LT5 for a trim level, but let it decimate all!

it sounds cool, but in all reality it would be another yenko failure and only be valuable due to limited production. the real world performance would be embarrassing at best on any 18”+ wheel gm can fit under the car.

95 imp 09-23-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s346k (Post 10625784)
it sounds cool, but in all reality it would be another yenko failure and only be valuable due to limited production. the real world performance would be embarrassing at best on any 18”+ wheel gm can fit under the car.

^ CRAZY TALK! ^

Who said anything about valuable, or wanting a collector car?

I'm seriously doubting everyone back in 69 was sitting around an Ouija board trying figure out what engine/body combo would sell for 6 figures in the future.

They ordered them because they wanted the badest car on the strip/street.

Also, I'm guessing you think that a current ZL1 has "magic tires" that only fit a ZL1 w/ an LT4? Or DR/slicks do not fit on the 1LT/LT1?

And, was the lack of traction with bias ply tires a reason why they didn't put a ZL-1 in a 69 Camaro?

s346k 09-23-2019 01:58 PM

simply stating: it would be another totally unattainable car for 99% of people and the 1% that do buy one would not be racing them. making it an ornament, at best.

95 imp: you could save yourself a lot of wasted time replying to posts if you’d critically think before responding.

95 imp 09-23-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s346k (Post 10625831)
simply stating: it would be another totally unattainable car for 99% of people and the 1% that do buy one would not be racing them. making it an ornament, at best.

95 imp: you could save yourself a lot of wasted time replying to posts if you’d critically think before responding.

Evidently, there are no Demons on the track, or COPO's, or any other ultra high performance cars. I guess those YouTube videos are faked like the moon landing.

Thanks for that important update.

In reality, we were talking production motors in the same body. Nothing special has to be made to accommodate it. Nothing is hand done, in a shop, like Callaway, Lingenfelter, or Hennessey.

Crate motor to crate motor (LT1 v LT4) is about 2-3k. Most people could afford upgrading to that. Even if you say 5-6k for upgraded drivetrain. STILL an affordable factory option.

Oh, and thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll keep it in mind next time someone tells me that you can't have a factory installed, high horse motor because your stock tires can't hold it. Even with the built-in traction control...

Lazerbrainz2k3 09-23-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10625899)
Evidently, there are no Demons on the track, or COPO's, or any other ultra high performance cars. I guess those YouTube videos are faked like the moon landing.

Thanks for that important update.

In reality, we were talking production motors in the same body. Nothing special has to be made to accommodate it. Nothing is hand done, in a shop, like Callaway, Lingenfelter, or Hennessey.

Crate motor to crate motor (LT1 v LT4) is about 2-3k. Most people could afford upgrading to that. Even if you say 5-6k for upgraded drivetrain. STILL an affordable factory option.

Oh, and thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll keep it in mind next time someone tells me that you can't have a factory installed, high horse motor because your stock tires can't hold it. Even with the built-in traction control...

And when the dummy who forgot he's got an SS drivetrain with a ZL1 motor does something foolish and breaks lots of expensive stuff not spec'd to the higher power at hand a week after taking delivery, is GM supposed to eat the cost of performing repairs under warranty?

You can always buy an LT1trim Camaro and an LT4 crate engine and do the work yourself, then sell the original LT1 engine (you'll probably be paying out of pocket more, but isn't it worth it since the point here seems to be to build project cars?).