CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   LT1 vs 1SS (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562304)

hotlap 09-22-2019 03:16 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss (Post 10624959)
For a DD get the SS has a better package with better suspension, wider tires, better brakes, improved cooling, etc. The way that the V8 Camaro was designed since the beginning. The LT1 is the base 6 cylinders entry level car with just an 8 cylinders engine option for those that are on a thight budget and just want a straight line driving car, a very basic car option, not worth it, just a marketing scheme. If you drive a Camaro SS you wouldn't care for the LT1 option. If you are on a budget, instead get a used Camaro SS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10625012)
Where do you people come up with this crazy talk?:crazy:

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...age=7&butID=16

lt4camaro 09-22-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss (Post 10624959)
For a DD get the SS has a better package with better suspension, wider tires, better brakes, improved cooling, etc. The way that the V8 Camaro was designed since the beginning. The LT1 is the base 6 cylinders entry level car with just an 8 cylinders engine option for those that are on a thight budget and just want a straight line driving car, a very basic car option, not worth it, just a marketing scheme. If you drive a Camaro SS you wouldn't care for the LT1 option. If you are on a budget, instead get a used Camaro SS.

Total BS, I put 10k miles on my 2016 1LT v6 manual and loved it and every mile, I also have a 2015 1Lt stingray manual to compare. Loved the Camaro and the LT1 would be a perfect street car and 1/4 mile car for the majority as that primarily is what we use these cars for.

Lazerbrainz2k3 09-22-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlap (Post 10625182)

I think the "crazy talk" was in reference to the idea that V8 Camaros have always been basically what the SS is, which is simply untrue, as evidenced by the existence of the Camaro with the 327 V8 that could not be had with the SS package.

hotlap 09-22-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 (Post 10625208)
I think the "crazy talk" was in reference to the idea that V8 Camaros have always been basically what the SS is, which is simply untrue, as evidenced by the existence of the Camaro with the 327 V8 that could not be had with the SS package.

Gothca. :thumbsup:

I took it to mean the gen6, Aplha SS which was the first time Chevy went all in performance-wise on the SS.

AZCamaroFan 09-22-2019 05:17 PM

well as far as calling the LT1 a 'straight line car' , it has different rear brakes and slightly smaller tires, but it does have the same suspension as an SS.

RobbyBeefcake87 09-22-2019 06:26 PM

Lt1

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan (Post 10625245)
well as far as calling the LT1 a 'straight line car' , it has different rear brakes and slightly smaller tires, but it does have the same suspension as an SS.

Yea, it's still the same chassis and suspension geometry. Different tuning on the suspension and lack of coolers doesn't suddenly make it a straight line only car.

IOMike 09-22-2019 08:22 PM

It's the exact same suspension as the SS. Minus a couple of coolers that would only be needed if pushed very hard on a road course. Brembo fronts, standard rear. Appearance aside, no one would notice that difference driving.

Let's not start this LT-1 is unsafe over 60mph nonsense because it doesn't have a SS badge again.

My only complaint with the LT-1 is no RS package and non-active rev matching. Love the looks of a RS "base" front over the SS

pyroguy 09-22-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 10625099)
Pyroguy, if you want a LT4 in a Camaro then see if you can find a good used ZL1. They won’t be as cheap as an LT-1 or SS but the ZL1 is a good bang for the buck if you can afford it! That’s how I bought my ZL1, used with low miles, a 2017 for a good price. I was looking at buying a 2SS 1LE new and the ZL1 I bought was right around the same price so it seemed the better deal. It all depends though on what you want and can afford to buy and either an SS or LT-1 would be a good choice in my opinion!

If I wanted a ZL1 I would buy one. However, the point I found interesting with the LT1 package is that it can be a sleeper and has the vibe of an old school COPO, IMO. The original COPO cars were stripped down of all frills, just all business. I'd love to see something like the LT1 with an optional LT4 or LT5 because it is no frills and all business. That just seems super cool to me. Besides a Camaro with a LT5 would be incredible.

95 imp 09-22-2019 09:55 PM

Sorry for the confusion!

The "crazy talk" is the fact that people sincerely believe that Chevrolet would actually let an inferior car out the door. You can't "put a V8 in a V6 car" and have it last thru the warranty period. This violates common sense and a good business model. What company is going to intentional produce an unsafe car that is going to ruin their reputation, cause butt loads of warranty (cost them money) work, and start a class action lawsuit?

C-R-A-Z-Y T-A-L-K

Then.... we have the auxiliary cooling....

You do not NEED the coolers. I bet 95% of the 1SS, 2SS and ZL1's never see a track.

But, yet, everybody who has one INSISTS the car will self-destruct if you don't have them.

Never mind the fact that over 100 years worth of vehicles have been made and functioned just fine without the coolers (or 6 piston calipers).

C-R-A-Z-Y T-A-L-K

The LT1 is a 1SS with a different nose and the non-essential stuff cut out. period. It is another version of the Camaro. I hope they sell a ton of them so the F-body will be around longer.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. What else is there to say?

c4racer 09-22-2019 11:49 PM

The SS convertible doesn’t have the oil
Or trans coolers either. Since it’s not likely to be used on the track.
It does get the SS tires and full brake package of course.

Lazerbrainz2k3 09-23-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10625390)
Sorry for the confusion!

The "crazy talk" is the fact that people sincerely believe that Chevrolet would actually let an inferior car out the door. You can't "put a V8 in a V6 car" and have it last thru the warranty period. This violates common sense and a good business model. What company is going to intentional produce an unsafe car that is going to ruin their reputation, cause butt loads of warranty (cost them money) work, and start a class action lawsuit?

C-R-A-Z-Y T-A-L-K

Then.... we have the auxiliary cooling....

You do not NEED the coolers. I bet 95% of the 1SS, 2SS and ZL1's never see a track.

But, yet, everybody who has one INSISTS the car will self-destruct if you don't have them.

Never mind the fact that over 100 years worth of vehicles have been made and functioned just fine without the coolers (or 6 piston calipers).

C-R-A-Z-Y T-A-L-K

The LT1 is a 1SS with a different nose and the non-essential stuff cut out. period. It is another version of the Camaro. I hope they sell a ton of them so the F-body will be around longer.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. What else is there to say?

I stand corrected.

Although, I think the fact that V8 Camaros were built and sold without the added capability (and cost, more importantly) only complements your point, with the added bonus of 50 years of engineering know-how probably making the current LT1 trim much more performance-capable relative to the 6th gen SS than the old 327s were relative to their contemporary SS350s.

lt4camaro 09-23-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOMike (Post 10625336)
It's the exact same suspension as the SS. Minus a couple of coolers that would only be needed if pushed very hard on a road course. Brembo fronts, standard rear. Appearance aside, no one would notice that difference driving.

Let's not start this LT-1 is unsafe over 60mph nonsense because it doesn't have a SS badge again.

My only complaint with the LT-1 is no RS package and non-active rev matching. Love the looks of a RS "base" front over the SS

The 10 speed auto is a so much quicker that the manual and have had 2 manual C7 corvettes, never use rev match, do it myself when I want to cause i know how LOL

LT4Greg 09-23-2019 09:27 AM

Pyroguy, I think you are wanting an LT-1 version Camaro that Chevy will never build, LT4 or LT5! I owned 2 third gens, a 1982 Z28 and a 1987 IROC Z28 and always wondered why Chevy didn’t put a 350 with a 4 speed in the 1982 Z and a 350 TPI 5 speed combo in the 1987 IROC Z28. But they never did so that was my point about getting a ZL1 with the LT4 and it was only a suggestion anyway! I think some of us are living in the wrong decade wishing for a 1967-1969 with a big block, bare bones Camaro! I would love one too but we can’t go back in time! ��

NeverDie 09-23-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt4camaro (Post 10623424)
Get the LT1, for everyday street use and a for drag racing you cannot beat it. the simpler the car the better.

A stock SS will have more grip at the dragstrip from it's wider, stickier summer-only tires stock for stock.

So that was a hella dumb comment for you to make.