CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   LT1 vs 1SS (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562304)

3.8TransAM 09-21-2019 03:05 PM

We need a version with all the performance stuff but take out all the other garbage we don't need.

pyroguy 09-21-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM (Post 10624647)
We need a version with all the performance stuff but take out all the other garbage we don't need.

That's pretty much the LT1. The one I looked at was VERY basic. It had a sunroof and the 10 speed auto. Other than that the radio was very basic/low end, it had cloth seats, it didn't even have a spoiler. The only thing I wish could be done different was that I wish there was an option to order a LT4 or LT5 in this body style. That would be truly reminiscent of the old school COPO Camaros instead of the track only versions out now, which are totally bad @$$, but not street legal.

95 imp 09-22-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyroguy (Post 10624652)
That's pretty much the LT1. The one I looked at was VERY basic. It had a sunroof and the 10 speed auto. Other than that the radio was very basic/low end, it had cloth seats, it didn't even have a spoiler. The only thing I wish could be done different was that I wish there was an option to order a LT4 or LT5 in this body style. That would be truly reminiscent of the old school COPO Camaros instead of the track only versions out now, which are totally bad @$$, but not street legal.

+1

Bosse'sBoss 09-22-2019 08:08 AM

For a DD get the SS has a better package with better suspension, wider tires, better brakes, improved cooling, etc. The way that the 5th & 6th gen V8 Camaros were designed to be. The LT1 is the base 6 cylinders entry level car with just an 8 cylinders engine option for those that are on a thight budget and just want a straight line driving car, a very basic car option, not worth it, just a marketing scheme. If you drive a Camaro SS you wouldn't care for the LT1 option. If you are on a budget, instead get a used Camaro SS.

95 imp 09-22-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss (Post 10624959)
For a DD get the SS has a better package with better suspension, wider tires, better brakes, improved cooling, etc. The way that the V8 Camaro was designed since the beginning. The LT1 is the base 6 cylinders entry level car with just an 8 cylinders engine option for those that are on a thight budget and just want a straight line driving car, a very basic car option, not worth it, just a marketing scheme. If you drive a Camaro SS you wouldn't care for the LT1 option. If you are on a budget, instead get a used Camaro SS.

Where do you people come up with this crazy talk?:crazy:

LT4Greg 09-22-2019 11:18 AM

The LT-1 is based off of the SS platform devoid of the SS badging and some other standard features of the SS. It isn’t a V6 platform with an LT1 engine installed!! I hope Chevy sells a lot of them to help keep the Camaro alive at GM.

LT4Greg 09-22-2019 12:15 PM

Pyroguy, if you want a LT4 in a Camaro then see if you can find a good used ZL1. They won’t be as cheap as an LT-1 or SS but the ZL1 is a good bang for the buck if you can afford it! That’s how I bought my ZL1, used with low miles, a 2017 for a good price. I was looking at buying a 2SS 1LE new and the ZL1 I bought was right around the same price so it seemed the better deal. It all depends though on what you want and can afford to buy and either an SS or LT-1 would be a good choice in my opinion!

RobbyBeefcake87 09-22-2019 12:15 PM

Lt1

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 10625063)
The LT-1 is based off of the SS platform devoid of the SS badging and some other standard features of the SS. It isn’t a V6 platform with an LT1 engine installed!! I hope Chevy sells a lot of them to help keep the Camaro alive at GM.

What? It's basically a 1lt car with SS engine, trans, diff, and hood.

LT4Greg 09-22-2019 12:18 PM

Whatever!

Red Chief 09-22-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10625012)
Where do you people come up with this crazy talk?:crazy:

The 6th gen 1SS was over-engineered for the average V8 shopper. The added coolers and suspension should have been part of a track pack factory option all along.

Now that I've seen the improved SS bumper I like it better than the LT1 but the LT1 offers the most horsepower for the least money on a chassis that was already more than sufficient. The improvement in handling on the base 6th gen base models is night and day better than the 5th gen.

For now it's a coin toss between the two for me but I won't have my current RS paid off until next year so I have time to weigh the price difference against each other.

3.8TransAM 09-22-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyroguy (Post 10624652)

Not really, not at all.

Formula = all the good stuff of the Trans AM without all the fluff garbage.

Take out all the garbage electronics and fluff and leave all the coolers and mechanical stuff.

95 imp 09-22-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Chief (Post 10625105)
The 6th gen 1SS was over-engineered for the average V8 shopper. The added coolers and suspension should have been part of a track pack factory option all along.

^This^ ^Right^ ^Here^

Not everyone wants a track car. Maybe some of us just want a car with lots of horses.

The coolers should of been part of the 1LE package.
( I could see an engine oil cooler being standard)

Those coolers are the only real difference, mechanically, from a 1SS to 1LT/LT1 and the main reason you only lose 66 Lbs. going to the LT body. (Alright dumbass hairsplitters, the rims/tires are different too. Happy?)

And I'm with 3.8.... half of the electronics, air bags, etc, should be optional...

I already know it isn't going to happen, so I don't need the hair-splitting dumbass post to explain all the reasons why they think I need it or why it can't be done.

This is what some of us want:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e2/6f/ae/e...cfe321f061.jpg

A butt load of ponies in a light body. Stock. Even better? LT/4/5 option like pyro said.

Or, second choice, something we can take some of the dead weight out and/or easily swap those motors into that body without pissing off a computer or a nanny in Detroit,

Craig 09-22-2019 01:47 PM

Dude, bookmark every leftover 19 SS within driving distance and wait for the real close-out sales this winter. GM eventually offered 10% rebates on leftover 2018, then went 15% and finally 25%. I doubt any SS’s will be left for 25% off but if you out hold out until there’s just a few left and are willing to act fast you’ll probably be able to get an optioned SS for the same money as an LT1. I’ve read that the front crossbar pops off the front clip so you could get it repainted or wrapped body color for a few hundred.

I like the idea of the LT1 but would feel a lot better if it had been engineered from the start as a budget friendly model and not so much a decontented SS.

Craig 09-22-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Chief (Post 10625105)

Now that I've seen the improved SS bumper I like it better than the LT1 but the LT1 offers the most horsepower for the least money on a chassis that was already more than sufficient. The improvement in handling on the base 6th gen base models is night and day better than the 5th gen.

For now it's a coin toss between the two for me but I won't have my current RS paid off until next year so I have time to weigh the price difference against each other.

I don’t think many of us here are average shoppers but different strokes for different folks :smoking: I am the exact opposite, for me being over-engineered is a HUGE positive when it comes to performance cars and one of the first things I look for. If you get the mod bug then what’s enough today might not be tomorrow and it’s usually cheaper to buy more than what you think you need than it is to do additional upgrades later.