CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - NY / NJ / PA (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Cuomo and NYPD Commissioner passed law for Inspection places to fail for illegal tint (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475357)

gosutag 11-30-2016 12:04 AM

Cuomo and NYPD Commissioner passed law for Inspection places to fail for illegal tint

This is terrible news for most drivers out there and even more so our group of drivers.

If anyone in NYC, LI know any good inspection places to go to I have a PM box waiting to be spammed.
If this is the wrong place to put this post please delete/remove it.

leadfoot93 12-01-2016 10:17 AM

Yeah I am pretty pissed about this, its going to be tough.... I talked to a friend and my dealer about it and both of them said its not worth the risk to lose their inspection machines.. So we'll see how this pans out.

gosutag 12-01-2016 08:52 PM

Is there no way to get it overturned? I know nothing about repealing laws.

fighting irish 12-02-2016 01:54 AM

What I have a problem with is the passing of laws without any evidence that they are beneficial. As far as I am aware, there are no observational studies regarding overall safety and tinted windows. Can tinted windows hide potential criminal activity? Yes. However, whenever I get pulled over, the first thing I do is roll down all of my windows.

From 2003-2012, only 62 police officers died as a result of a traffic stop. During this time period, almost 100,000 people died as a result of skin cancer. There is a direct correlation between driving and skin cancer, as between 53-56% of skin cancers occur on the left or driver's side of the body compared with the right. That could mean as high as 10% of skin cancers are a result of driving. Want to know how to prevent those? Window tint with UV filtering. Other benefits include reduced window shattering/shrapnel during an accident, decreased risk of vehicle break ins, reduced UV damage to interior, and reduced need for cooling during summer months.

An additional reason that the lawmakers say is that it will "prevent accidents because pedestrians can make eye contact with the driver". There are no times on the road that eye contact with another driver or pedestrian is necessary in preventing an accident. Always assume that the other driver or person doesn't see you, it is called defensive driving.

As a physician, I fully support the use of illegal window tint. You can apply for a medical waiver in NY state, however only for the following conditions:
-Porphyria (1:10,00 or higher)
-Xeroderma pigmentosa (1:250,000 risk)
-"Severe drug photosensitivity"- now this one might have some merit to a lot of people. Guess which common medications can cause this- NSAIDS! Statins! Certain Antibiotics! Plenty of others! This is about the only way that I can see to get past this new law. I don't know how keen your physician might be in filling out a letter stating that your ibuprofen is going to cause severe phototoxic reaction, but it might be worth a try.

Mr. Wyndham 12-02-2016 02:18 AM

It's a shame that he believes he's so damn right all the time...His ego is signing these laws, and it's ridiculous.

Luckily (depends on how you look at it)...I don't have any tint...but he's got his fingers in my career (education), my gun rights, and now my hobby....ugh...we can't vote him out of there quick enough. :rant:

gosutag 12-02-2016 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fighting irish (Post 9434352)
As a physician, I fully support the use of illegal window tint. You can apply for a medical waiver in NY state, however only for the following conditions:
-Porphyria (1:10,00 or higher)
-Xeroderma pigmentosa (1:250,000 risk)
-"Severe drug photosensitivity"- now this one might have some merit to a lot of people. Guess which common medications can cause this- NSAIDS! Statins! Certain Antibiotics! Plenty of others! This is about the only way that I can see to get past this new law. I don't know how keen your physician might be in filling out a letter stating that your ibuprofen is going to cause severe phototoxic reaction, but it might be worth a try.

So how do I make you my physician?

LibertyHill 12-02-2016 06:19 AM

Same law in Texas, but side windows are not required to function. Therefore you can roll them down, remove the fuse, and roll into inspection. :)

gosutag 12-10-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyHill (Post 9434430)
Same law in Texas, but side windows are not required to function. Therefore you can roll them down, remove the fuse, and roll into inspection. :)

Unfortunately this law in NY requires that the NYS inspection place have a tester that tests all windows not just roll down windows.

I wish I knew enough guys in NY that we could attempt to get this law overturned.

gosutag 01-10-2017 05:15 PM

After looking for too long for the actual bill itself I found the bill -- I believe -- and it's here:
http://legislation.nysenate.gov/pdf/bills/2015/S6034A

I actually found a website that allows you to sign up and petition it.
Here's the site:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation...nt/original#no

Just click on "Nay" to be brought down to a form to fill in.

The initial proposed oppositions for this bill are as follows:
Enforcement is already a police function pursuant to NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law
Increased non-compensated labor costs to perform window tint inspection
Additional time required to test ANY windows treated with any material
Additional time to ascertain window is clean of road grime, smoke film, etc.
Maintaining clean environment for tester and calibration control strip
Increased costs to New York State to revise procedures and implementing changes that will require software updates, vehicle inspector training and record keeping

I don't know if I believe any of those are good reasons. My arguments are as follows:
Tint does not affect driver performance and there are no studies supporting that claim.
Tint is not an obstruction of a vehicle’s performance and capability and therefore should not be tested at NYS Inspection appointments.

The form allows for the signer to write a letter to their senator.
I am currently trying to figure out a proper letter to send.

Please understand that I'm new to this entire legislative process so I am learning as I go. If anyone has suggestions please feel free to let me know in PM.

Paintslinger16 11-30-2019 02:19 PM

I applied for and got a NYS waiver for tint, had multiple reasons, statins and TBI. Got approved in just a couple weeks wait.

Vtor_ZL1 11-30-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

windshield and front side windows must allow at least 70 percent or more of outside light to pass through

Sounds reasonable to me.

1. You can see where you are going
2. See point number one :)

Don't like it - petition your local law makers. Dont like them, run for office yourself.

jcastag 12-31-2019 07:42 AM

And on top of what this does to driver's... It also puts another segment of small business owners out of work and potentially in debt. These ****face politicians need to stop this madness and we need to remind them they work for the taxpayer.