CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z/28 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   Could this be the new Z/28? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538987)

whiteboyblues2001 09-19-2018 02:27 PM

Could this be the new Z/28?

Sounds like Chevy is testing a Camaro with a louder engine at their proving grounds. Could it be a Z/28?

https://www.torquenews.com/106/myste...#comment-71746

Bhobbs 09-19-2018 02:30 PM

I guess we have to wait until we see camo cars driving around.

FH212 09-19-2018 02:41 PM

Interesting........

NW-99SS 09-20-2018 12:21 PM

Hopeful!

Bayles76 11-05-2018 02:02 PM

Interesting read. Hopefully this guy can snap a couple pictures of these heavily camo'd cars and maybe a video to show just how loud these test mules are. I know a few chest-pounders and purists wont like a FI Z/28 but why not? Its clearly the most efficient way to make power (And they sound bad ass!).

I still haven't forgotten about the car that was spotted last winter in Michigan wearing ZL1 1le wheels w/ Pirelli Sottozero winter tires, tail lamps and front bumper with dive planes. The strange part about that car was that it was armed with MASSIVE Carbon Ceramic brakes never before seen on a 6th Gen. It also didn't have a 1LE spoiler.

Something is in the works, I can't wait to see what the GM Performance Skunkworks has cooked up for us next.

NASTY99Z28 11-07-2018 03:03 AM

Chevy is supposed to be offering a bigger gas engine for the heavy duty trucks. Maybe they will offer a performance version for the camaro.

NASTY99Z28 11-07-2018 03:10 AM

6.6 liters to be exact. 😎😎😎

Joel2702zzz 11-07-2018 11:47 AM

Return of the 400ci ?

GrimReaperSS 11-10-2018 08:00 PM

Or a 402 labeled as a 396 again.....

brantley847 01-01-2019 10:17 PM

Just give me an N/A with a crunchy cam and some juicy headers please...

Bhobbs 01-02-2019 01:13 AM

Al O got moved because the 6th gen is done. No Z/28 is coming.

BradfordCamaro 01-02-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10398891)

Or. The 7th Gen is done including a Z/28 so they sent him over to rock out their EV product.:wave:

Desert Drifter 01-02-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS (Post 10359828)
Or a 402 labeled as a 396 again.....

416 CID seems to be the easy bore/stroke combination for the Gen 5 powerplant. The current cylinder head/ intake manifold design would require a lot of engineering to go bigger bore and proportionate gains from what I understand.

I am waiting for the aftermarket to catch up with goodies for the LT1/LT4 engines. Seems like there it 10 times as many parts for the "old" LS motors.

Trans damm 01-03-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10398891)

Or the 6th Gen is selling like absolute crap so they brought someone else in to finish a Z28 that will look good. I bet the Auto LT5 Z28 is going to be a monster.

Quinten_33 01-03-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trans damm (Post 10400198)
Or the 6th Gen is selling like absolute crap so they brought someone else in to finish a Z28 that will look good. I bet the Auto LT5 Z28 is going to be a monster.

Al O was the Chief Engineer, not Chief Designer. He’s that guy who made the Camaro faster around a track than cars that cost three to five times as much. He is not responsible for making it look good.

mb13 01-05-2019 08:27 AM

"We have launched the final variant of this generation of Camaro, so the time is right," Chevy spokesperson Mike Albano told Car and Driver of Oppenheiser's move.

That statement ther seems to say nothing new this generation of the Camaro. Could they have some secret project, sure but it doesn’t look like anything else new from Camaro 6th gen

Orangeman13 01-06-2019 08:39 PM

I thought GM was killing the Camaro?

Jupiter 1 02-08-2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangeman13 (Post 10403227)
I thought GM was killing the Camaro?

BLASPHEMOUS!!!

Cut out his tongue!!!

Squatch 02-08-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jupiter 1 (Post 10431827)
BLASPHEMOUS!!!

Cut out his tongue!!!

Second !

radz28 02-09-2019 02:00 PM

GM doesn't talk about future products, so that might be part of the statement about a final model, but no one knows except for them.

I don't disagree with Al O. making Camaro as good as it is. But - I am left wondering if the direction they went is not popular. Sales, to me, suggest that. And it's interesting that Dodge has come so far forward, after introducing models like the Hellcats and Demons, and now Redeye. I'm wondering is GM just missed the mark on what is popular. Can you make a car that is reasonably good around corners but makes you turn your shorts brown in a straight line? Maybe, as AWESOME as ZL1/E is, it's just not getting interest because the competition has more than 50-almost 200-horsepower more. And I know that no one has yet to get a 9.65 or whatever in a stock Demon, and that ZL1 is at least as fast as a Hellcat, but I don't know that the numbers GM's achieved with Camaro are as appealing to the buying public as Dodge, and soon to be Ford.

And maybe nothing I said is correct and matters, HAHAHA.

tbrennyZL1 02-10-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 10432925)
GM doesn't talk about future products, so that might be part of the statement about a final model, but no one knows except for them.

I don't disagree with Al O. making Camaro as good as it is. But - I am left wondering if the direction they went is not popular. Sales, to me, suggest that. And it's interesting that Dodge has come so far forward, after introducing models like the Hellcats and Demons, and now Redeye. I'm wondering is GM just missed the mark on what is popular. Can you make a car that is reasonably good around corners but makes you turn your shorts brown in a straight line? Maybe, as AWESOME as ZL1/E is, it's just not getting interest because the competition has more than 50-almost 200-horsepower more. And I know that no one has yet to get a 9.65 or whatever in a stock Demon, and that ZL1 is at least as fast as a Hellcat, but I don't know that the numbers GM's achieved with Camaro are as appealing to the buying public as Dodge, and soon to be Ford.

I think a lot of what you said has truth. I think part of it is the general public likes hp numbers and styling. And I would say camaro has the worst style with also the worst visibility (though I think that’s hugely overblown). The cornering/performance of the car is fantastic but I think the big hp/style sell more cars. It’s exactly why I’ve said they should be the first to offer AWD on the V8 cars and see if that traction and acceleration advantage gains buyers. They can try and leap forward past the competition or just keep following.

shaffe 02-11-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 10432925)

I think it was a combination of alot things. Sales wise, to me, it seems Camaro focused to much on performance and styling that left it with shortcomings as a coupe compared to its direct competition.

As far as the Z/28, I think the 5th gen car being what it was put the nail in the coffin for future Z/28s. An all out NA track attack car, there was no NA engine to use, and now that there is the ZLE could they make a Z/28 that is the best track Camaro while keeping it NA? I don't think they can, at least at a price that is still ok for a Camaro.

I think if fans and GM were ok with the Z/28 slotting between the SS 1LE and ZL1 then we could see one. Other than that I don't see one happening.

mlee 02-16-2019 06:47 PM

I don't care what they call it... LT5 + A10 needs to happen.

Tradition on the 1LE just went out the window... NA Z/28 next:iono:

Bhobbs 02-16-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10439032)

Or, this might be a stretch, but GM could come up with a different name, in the absolutely microscopic chance an LT5 Camaro happens.

Artos 02-16-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10439032)

I agree...damn the torpedoes at this point.

Once an A10 LT5 surfaces & depending on the subjective exterior aesthetics, then the decision becomes to mod or trade. Good problem to have I guess. :doh:

mlee 02-16-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10439040)
Or, this might be a stretch, but GM could come up with a different name, in the absolutely microscopic chance an LT5 Camaro happens.

7th Gen ZL1 fits just fine. I'll take any bet that an LT5 will happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artos (Post 10439093)
I agree...damn the torpedoes at this point.

Once an A10 LT5 surfaces & depending on the subjective exterior aesthetics, then the decision becomes to mod or trade. Good problem to have I guess. :doh:

That's why I'm not going with the A10 LT4... it would happen just as soon as I pulled the trigger.:smoking:

hotlap 02-16-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10439107)

That's why I'm not going with the A10 LT4... it would happen just as soon as I pulled the trigger.:smoking:

I like the sound of this on many levels.

Gen7
ZL1
LT5 A10

:popcorn:

Bhobbs 02-16-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

What makes you so sure it will happen?

hotlap 02-17-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10439196)

:fbodgoul1:

Artos 02-17-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

What year you reckon a gen7 will appear??

I agree the LT5 is coming as well simply due to the competition the big 3 got going on & timing fits since the vette is going mid.

mlee 02-17-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10439196)

What makes you so sure it won't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlap (Post 10439421)
:fbodgoul1:

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artos (Post 10439465)
What year you reckon a gen7 will appear??

I agree the LT5 is coming as well simply due to the competition the big 3 got going on & timing fits since the vette is going mid.

Just doing the math and the fact 2019 was a refresh year, my guess would be MY 22 which would put it coming out fall of 2021. Still plenty of time to slip something in.

LT5 is like the elephant in the closet.

Bhobbs 02-18-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10439799)
What makes you so sure it won't.

Because GM has always kept the top engines out of the Camaro.

LS9
LS6
LT5
LT4
LS-6
LS-5
All the big block 427s.

GM has never put its best in the Camaro.

NW-99SS 02-18-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10439902)
Because GM has always kept the top engines out of the Camaro.

LS9
LS6
LT5
LT4
LS-6
LS-5
All the big block 427s.

GM has never put its best in the Camaro.

This has been addressed so many times, even by Al O. himself. While this was true pre-6th gen, that all changed under Al O.

For the first time ever, you could get the most powerful engine in a Corvette or Camaro at the same time (2017 Z06 - 2017 ZL1).

In FACT, the Camaro had a slight upper hand, being able to fit the A10 trans while the C7 has been stuck with the problematic A8.

So the point is mute, it's old news, and has already been debunked.

Bhobbs 02-18-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-99SS (Post 10440013)
This has been addressed so many times, even by Al O. himself. While this was true pre-6th gen, that all changed under Al O.

For the first time ever, you could get the most powerful engine in a Corvette or Camaro at the same time (2017 Z06 - 2017 ZL1).

In FACT, the Camaro had a slight upper hand, being able to fit the A10 trans while the C7 has been stuck with the problematic A8.

Except it hasn’t been debunked because the LT4 was never the top engine. Apparently, they had been working on the ZR1 before the Z06 was revealed.

If the Camaro was no longer limited, why doesn’t it exceed the Corvette in any way?

hotlap 02-18-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10440102)
Except it hasn’t been debunked because the LT4 was never the top engine. Apparently, they had been working on the ZR1 before the Z06 was revealed.

If the Camaro was no longer limited, why doesn’t it exceed the Corvette in any way?

When the LT4 was introduced you said it would never be in the Camaro using this same logic. You were certian there wasn't another engine to follow the LT4.

You may be right that the LT5 won't make it into the Camaro. We do however know that Al O and Mark Reuss set out to destroy the Mustang in the gen6 and they knew Ford would bring a 750 HP GT500. We also know that GM is developing other high HP engines for the C8 (twin Turbo Images leaked).

I personally don't think we will see it until the gen7 but the dominance of gen6 Alpha gives hope something else might drop.

shaffe 02-18-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-99SS (Post 10440013)

I disagree ( and agree that it is totally semantics lol) because as mentioned the ZR-1 was being developed before the Z06 came out. So internally GM knew the LT-4 was not top dog. Also the LT4 was the only high performance engine available, once it debuted in the CTS-V as well we all knew it would power the ZL1

What I will say that can't be disputed, is that the engine powering a ZR-1 Corvette has never made it into any other vehicle. I have a feeling that will stay the same at least until the ZR-1 goes away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlap (Post 10440111)
When the LT4 was introduced you said it would never be in the Camaro using this same logic. You were certian there wasn't another engine to follow the LT4.

You may be right that the LT5 won't make it into the Camaro. We do however know that Al O and Mark Reuss set out to destroy the Mustang in the gen6 and they knew Ford would bring a 750 HP GT500. We also know that GM is developing other high HP engines for the C8 (twin Turbo Images leaked).

I personally don't think we will see it until the gen7 but the dominance of gen6 Alpha gives hope something else might drop.

True, but like I mentioned above. The ZR-1 engine in the last two ZR-1s has remained a Corvette exclusive. I think it will stay that way until the ZR-1 is retired. I doubt we see a Camaro and Corvette powered by the LT5 at the same time.

radz28 02-18-2019 10:53 AM

ZL-1 from '69 was a the top Corvette engine, and that made it into Camaro... Just sayin'...

I'd like to see an A10 LT5. I don't care what it's called. Maybe it's time for a new RPO. I think that would be a killer combination though. I also think it's necessary for Camaro to stay relevant. BUT - that's just me.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, but I don't know that I believe LT5 will be around for a 7th Gen Camaro (G7). I think GM's coming off of superchargers and full-transitioning to turbos. They stayed away from V8 turbos' in passenger cars, in the past, because of "thermal" issues, if I recall, and with C8 seemingly going turbo', and there possibly being a plethora of DOHC-engines in the wings, I believe GM's going away from OHV, too. I don't think LT5 will make it out of this generation in Corvette, or even a possibility in the G7. I think we're seeing the last of the OHV-engines, save for maybe one more in the base C8. I could see that trickle into G7, as a base engine, and then all premium engines above base move to DOHCs that we're seeing, like the Blackwing. At any rate, if an LT5 doesn't happen soon (i.e. Gen 6), I doubt it will happen in Camaro at all.

JMHO :)

NW-99SS 02-18-2019 02:14 PM

A lot of naysaying and stipulations now. Name another time, other than 1969 as radz28 pointed out (COPO ZL-1 thanks to Fred Gibb's order of 50), when the Camaro and the Corvette were matched for HP in the highest trim available...

You can be pessimistic about an LT5 Camaro all you want, but the logic that Camaros do not get Corvette engines is FALSE - and I would rather be optimistic that it may happen.

Bhobbs 02-18-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlap (Post 10440111)

That’s because making two blown Corvettes didn’t make any sense to me. It still doesn’t but I admitted I was wrong then.

Could I be wrong again? That’s very likely but they are following the precedence laid out since the Camaro was created. GM has not and never will put its best engines in the Camaro. The 662 HP GT500 and 707 HP Hellcat didn’t bring the LS9 to the ZL1. GM has never cared how the Camaro stacks up to its competition, at least power wise. I certainly don’t see that changing now that Al O is gone.

The COPO was not a production Camaro, intended to exist by GM. It was a loop hole discovered by certain dealers. The ZL-1 wasn’t even a street engine. It was built for Can Am race cars.

And I never said the Camaro doesn’t get Corvette engines. I’m saying the Camaro only gets the lesser Corvette engines.

shaffe 02-18-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-99SS (Post 10440322)
A lot of naysaying and stipulations now. Name another time, other than 1969 as radz28 pointed out (COPO ZL-1 thanks to Fred Gibb's order of 50), when the Camaro and the Corvette were matched for HP in the highest trim available...

You can be pessimistic about an LT5 Camaro all you want, but the logic that Camaros do not get Corvette engines is FALSE - and I would rather be optimistic that it may happen.

but it's not false lol.

Camaro never got the LT5 from the 90s ZR-1
Camaro never got the LS6,
Camaro Never got LS9.

Camaro Only got the LS7 AFTER Corvette was no longer using it.
Yes Camaro got the LT4, but as Martin mentioned in another thread, the ZR-1 was part of the C7 from the beginning, so GM knew that the LT4 was not going to be the top engine

I just use history as my guide. History says that the ZR-1 engine has remained exclusive to the ZR-1.