CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   vs 2018 Mustang (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480885)

DFW1LE 01-25-2017 01:34 PM

Here is Shelby's latest limited edition, pretty impressive, but remember this is a tuner car.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-sh...h-up-to-750-hp

SuperSound 01-25-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW1LE (Post 9524253)
Here is Shelby's latest limited edition, pretty impressive, but remember this is a tuner car.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-sh...h-up-to-750-hp

Considering the actual performance of the '15 one, this one seems just as unlikely to actually perform.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ake-road-test/

Hate to say it, but Ford can build a better "Shelby" than Shelby can. Will have to wait and see if this one actually does better.

IOMike 01-25-2017 06:46 PM

I foresee the GtPP2 having the slightest edge over the SS (since the GTPP2 is available with an auto). It won't come close to the 1le.

Ford fans will claim victory.
Chevy fans will claim victory.

KMPrenger 01-26-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOMike (Post 9524830)
I foresee the GtPP2 having the slightest edge over the SS (since the GTPP2 is available with an auto). It won't come close to the 1le.

Ford fans will claim victory.
Chevy fans will claim victory.

I agree. But I can see it going either way on the SS vs GTPP. Straight line, I think even with the 10 speed in the Mustang the Camaro is still going to be just as fast, or still maybe a hair faster....unless the GT is getting more HP than I'm thinking its going to get. 455HP isn't going to cut it. Its going to need something more to get ahead of the SS.

Regardless...its going to close the current gap, that's for sure. Camaro will likely have the 10 speed for the 2018 or 2019 model year also.

I can't imagine it toppling the 1LE on the track though. If it does, why would anyone want a GT350....except for maybe name bragging rights?

khell86 01-26-2017 12:52 PM

With the current options available now to the mustang GT, they definitely have to do something to the GT350. That's if they plan on selling it the rest of this generation. I'm not sure if they only approved MY18 or said they were going to continue it farther.

The GT now has optional magneride, MPS4 tires(getting great reviews), forged aluminum wheels, and a much needed HP boost. It could give the base GT350 a run for its money.

SS 1LE 01-26-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khell86 (Post 9526128)
With the current options available now to the mustang GT, they definitely have to do something to the GT350. That's if they plan on selling it the rest of this generation. I'm not sure if they only approved MY18 or said they were going to continue it farther.

The GT now has optional magneride, MPS4 tires(getting great reviews), forged aluminum wheels, and a much needed HP boost. It could give the base GT350 a run for its money.

Wasn't there a DCT rumor for the GT350? I remember all the purists on M6G bitching about not wanting it a few months ago...

khell86 01-26-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS 1LE (Post 9526197)
Wasn't there a DCT rumor for the GT350? I remember all the purists on M6G bitching about not wanting it a few months ago...

Yes supposedly the DCT from the GT would trickle down to the GT350.

magGT 01-30-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy (Post 9516226)
Common sense says a GT PP won't beat a GT350.. Please show me another vehicle that outperforms a higher trim.

I mean in the C&D's lightening lap, the 17 1le almost outperformed the 14 stingray. It was exactly one second behind. Ford could do the same with the GT with PP and the GT350.

SS 1LE 01-30-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magGT (Post 9531796)
I mean in the C&D's lightening lap, the 17 1le almost outperformed the 14 stingray. It was exactly one second behind. Ford could do the same with the GT with PP and the GT350.

In the MT Best Drivers Car, the SS 1LE actually beats the Stingray Z51 at Laguna Seca...but the difference is that is not the top dog Corvette, or in the same model line like the GT PP2 and GT350 are.

pdiddy972 01-31-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron scubadiver (Post 9510721)
Ford is saying it is faster than the 2012-2013 Boss 302. That's a start. I don't think horsepower numbers matter. It's actual performance that counts. The current Mustang lags the Camaro SS by more than 20 hp and 100 lbs would suggest.

Besides, speculating about the next Mustang is irresistible.

So horsepower numbers don't matter, but in the next breath you mention the Mustang lags the SS by 20HP? :frusty:

KMPrenger 01-31-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 (Post 9534097)
So horsepower numbers don't matter, but in the next breath you mention the Mustang lags the SS by 20HP? :frusty:

Actually...he used that as an example to backup his first statement...that the Mustang is farther behind than just 20HP would indicate....as in...20 HP and 100 lbs shouldn't mean that much.

Get it?

Anyways...the transmission is also key here. That 10 speed is going to make as much or more difference than the increase in power. The one advantage the Mustang won't catch is torque under the curve, but I said before, the gap will be mostly gone.

internationlriders 02-06-2017 03:47 PM

IMO, unless you get a GT350 or a Shelby, too many new Mustangs are being sold to make them special or covetable. I suppose this also depends on where you live, I live in Vancouver BC and we have very few Camaros here, mostly Bimmers and Benz. When I test drove the '15 GT I liked the car and was impressed by the handling and braking compared to the previous models but I didn't feel special. When I first test drove the new Camaro I immediately felt special, and cruising around was already getting a lot of looks. I can see how perhaps in some areas though other cars may be deemed cooler just because they're not seen as often.

SpeedIsLife 02-06-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by internationlriders (Post 9544603)
IMO, unless you get a GT350 or a Shelby, too many new Mustangs are being sold to make them special or covetable. I suppose this also depends on where you live, I live in Vancouver BC and we have very few Camaros here, mostly Bimmers and Benz. When I test drove the '15 GT I liked the car and was impressed by the handling and braking compared to the previous models but I didn't feel special. When I first test drove the new Camaro I immediately felt special, and cruising around was already getting a lot of looks. I can see how perhaps in some areas though other cars may be deemed cooler just because they're not seen as often.

That's pretty much the story for any of the 3 "pony cars".

Pretty much the only thing that really catches my eye anymore are ZL1's, Shelby's and Hellcats.

ron scubadiver 02-26-2017 09:52 AM

At one point I was shopping the 2017 Mustang and decided against it because one had to get an M6 if they wanted a track capable suspension. The A6 was said to wallow at speed. It's a boulevard cruiser, not a sports car. Also, some automotive journalists reported the track package was too harsh for a DD.

In Ford's favor is the 2018 is more than just a refresh with a new A10, revised engine and styling changes going beyond the minimal changes many manufacturers make after a few years. I doubt it will be faster than an SS, but the gap will be a lot less than it is now.

Just saying...