CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   My overview on swapping out ZL1 Spoiler for 1le Rear Wing (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529318)

45LongColt 05-19-2018 02:20 PM

My overview on swapping out ZL1 Spoiler for 1le Rear Wing

I swapped my ZL1 with a GM Original 1le rear wing. A couple things worth noting.

The trunk holes align perfectly, but the base of the le1 wing support does not match the location of the original ZL1 spoiler. This is where it sits on the trunk deck. It is a much smaller base footprint and the two furthest supports are angled pointing outward over pointing straight ahead.

Getting the nuts off the old spoiler are pretty easy. Socket/driver for the two outside supports, but the middle support actually requires a open ended wrench due to the location and limited space. Word of caution, don't drop the nuts into the truck deck cavity.

Don't worry about the original spoiler falling off the trunk while taking off the nuts from underneith as the 3M adhesive between the spoiler base and trunk surface is ridiculously strong. Which brings me to my next bullet.

The 3M gorilla adhesive is insanely strong. So strong, doubt the bolts are actually holding anything in place. You can not just pull the old spoiler off the trunk deck. You have to separate the bond from the deck lid to have any hopes of getting it off. I highly recommend plastic trim tools and goo-gone. Need to use both to lift a little, spray goo-gone, lift a little more, more goo-gone... repeat again and again. Do not force it as I can see how you could easily dent or bend in your deck lid. This step was BY FAR the longest and most pain staking part of the process.

Couldn't find any instructions on the trunk latch cover removal, but after examining it for about 5 minutes found out it just pulls right off as it is just a snap on plastic cover.

Not sure about others, but my deck lid was actually scratched and dented under the 3M adhesive. Never could tell while the ZL1 spoiler was on as the bases are large and covered a big portion of the area. But with the 1le wing, the bases are much smaller and pointed in a different location so the scratches and dent are now visible with the new wing installed.

Tighten the furthest bolts, the ones closest to the rear window first. This is important as the 1le Wing bases are a little longer and pointier at that end and if you don't, it will stick up a bit off the trunk deck.

Do not over tighten the bolts. I tell you, the adhesive is so darn strong, I'm not sure the bolts are even needed... seriously... besides that, if you over tighten, you will certainly buckle in the deck lid in the base area.

I recommend scratch remover, polish and goo-gone to clean up the deck lid after removal as there will be some noticeable area from the old spoiler bases.

I took a trip to PA and back last week. Put over 650 miles on the car and for the most part, was highway driving at 80 mph with the occasional 100 mph dashed up the mountains. When I got back I checked the deck for issue as well as the wing for security and found zero problems. Did not cause any buckling or denting or anything else people seem to be claiming on here due to a non reinforced truck deck.

Would I do it again? Not sure. The cost of the OEM GM Wing is very steep, time to install was about an hour and a half... an hour just to remove the damn adhesive. The foot print not matching really ticked me off as well as finding a dent and scratches under the much larger support base.

Overall improvement in appearance.... priceless!!!

http://www.handgundefense.com/pics/ZL1-21.JPG

Sooner Cole 05-19-2018 02:32 PM

My understanding is that the trunk lid on the 1LE is reinforced due to the downforce the wing puts on the trunk and they were denting the lids on the first production models during testing.

VAZL1 05-19-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner Cole (Post 10190816)
My understanding is that the trunk lid on the 1LE is reinforced due to the downforce the wing puts on the trunk and they were denting the lids on the first production models during testing.

I believe this was already proven not to be an issue.

Op The wing looks awesome:thumbsup:

mlee 05-19-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner Cole (Post 10190816)

The 2017 lids are the once not reinforced. 1LE came out in 18 and the Op has an 18 so shouldn't be an issue. I haven't heard of any of the 17's actually having issues FWIW.

Nice upgrade, hope you get to try it out on the track.

devnull 05-19-2018 09:30 PM

I wasn't a huge wing fan until I bought the ZL1 1LE. Now it is a must lol. LOOKS AWESOME!

Went to the dealer last night to drop off a part, and they had an ACR sitting in the showroom. My wing is now small. :D

mlee 05-19-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 10191117)
I wasn't a huge wing fan until I bought the ZL1 1LE. Now it is a must lol. LOOKS AWESOME!

Went to the dealer last night to drop off a part, and they had an ACR sitting in the showroom. My wing is now small. :D

Me too... LOL

Chevy dealer with an ACR :iono:

devnull 05-19-2018 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10191129)
Me too... LOL

Chevy dealer with an ACR :iono:

Steve Rayman haha. They have all kinds of amazing stuff!!! I need an unlimited budget.

Attachment 936610

bigmike32172 05-19-2018 11:31 PM

Great write up! Thanks for your info :thumbup:

Biscuit.fr 05-20-2018 07:09 AM

Do you have pictures of the exact non fitting of the pylon on the trunk?

nighttowl 05-20-2018 11:35 AM

ACR wing generates something like 1250 lbs of downforce.

I was looking at vipers before I bought this car.
I read an article where one of the engineers who worked on the development of the car said you can really screw up the car by messing with the wing.

mlee 05-20-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 10191164)
Steve Rayman haha. They have all kinds of amazing stuff!!! I need an unlimited budget.

Ha Ha... nice and it doesn't impede visibility out the rear window.

45LongColt 05-21-2018 12:10 PM

I can certainly take some pictures of that area. The pylons on the 1le wing actually point to about 1:00-2:00 on the right deck lid and about 10:00-11:00 on the left where the original ZL1 spoiler pointed 12:00 on all three.

Biscuit.fr 05-21-2018 07:10 PM

Any issue from the fixation at the top of the pylon to make it open 10:00-0200 at the bottom?
I’m surprised

45LongColt 05-22-2018 03:13 PM

None that I had noticed.