CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why are you hiding your digits? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415581)

Tahlee 07-10-2015 06:27 AM

Why are you hiding your digits?

Hello everyone!

I have a general question to the masses:

Why do people hide their registration plate in photos? Strangers can read the plate as you drive down the road or see the car in your driveway. Maybe someone could run the plate and find my name and address, but to what end? Is it an identity theft issue because they may be able to get my date of birth, too? Or, should I be worried that some stranger may pay me a visit at home?

I am just really curious. Please enlighten me!

Thanks,
Bryan

hrpiii 07-10-2015 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tahlee (Post 8525415)
Hello everyone!

Why do people hide their registration plate in photos? Strangers can read the plate as you drive down the road or see the car in your driveway. Maybe someone could run the plate and find my name and address, but to what end? Is it an identity theft issue because they may be able to get my date of birth, too? Or, should I be worried that some stranger may pay me a visit at home?

Thanks,
Bryan

In todays world, hiding it does nothing. If someone really wants to work hard to find out where you live, they can. But most of the time, people hiding their plates in a photo adds a bit of comfort level to giving out information about themselves. When an image is posted on the internet, you never know what types of idiots/thieves are wanting to do some harm.

In todays world, you should be more worried about people doing a trace on your IP, hacking your home computer, or hacking institutions that have financial information about you. Best practice is to cancel your credit cards and debit cards yearly, and have new ones issues. IRS, Home Depot, Target, Anthem are some of the large companies hacked and thousands and thousands of personal information stolen.

Tahlee 07-10-2015 06:51 AM

Thank you, Beefcake.

VTSummit 07-10-2015 07:44 AM

I always thought it was funny too. If someone runs your plate through NCIC or similar system for personal use, they can be terminated from their job and prosecuted. It's not like the old days when I could run any license # and find out about someone.
It serves NO purpose.

Tahlee 07-10-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTSummit (Post 8525492)
I always thought it was funny too. If someone runs your plate through NCIC or similar system for personal use, they can be terminated from their job and prosecuted. It's not like the old days when I could run any license # and find out about someone.
It serves NO purpose.

Even back in the 90's, every time you ran a plate your police department's ID number was tagged to the inquiry on the NCIC system.

bwk1971 07-10-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tahlee (Post 8525415)
Hello everyone!

Thanks,
Bryan

I found this to be weird too. To make it even stranger there are numerous threads showing off personalized license plates, the polar opposite of hiding them. :noidea:

Bizaro 07-10-2015 10:30 AM

WOW really? Troll

Ryanbabz71 07-10-2015 10:38 AM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07...302f25e837.jpg

Ryan

Bizaro 07-10-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMTool (Post 8525860)
I never posted that. What are trying to do?

same thing you are

enjoy this video of metallica as my peace offering to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-2Q8QtCY4

SSJ455 07-10-2015 11:13 AM

I only hide them when I drive.

ssrs2lt 07-10-2015 11:24 AM

Wow crazy thread, but I hide mine simply because it's that much harder to track me..especially under my tinfoil hat enclosed in my anti nuke basement lol

hrpiii 07-10-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrs2lt (Post 8525960)
Wow crazy thread, but I hide mine simply because it's that much harder to track me..especially under my tinfoil hat enclosed in my anti nuke basement lol

I actually came across a guy wearing a tinfoil hat a couple years ago, and was very serious about it. He was a customer in Best Buy, older gentleman. Very, very paranoid. When I left, I walked by an old truck, and the back windows and parts of the side windows had tinfoil on it, taped up. When I ask a salesperson about him, they knew him, lived close and all were aware of his 'differences'. Said he was a nice, polite guy, but wow.

So they do exist in the wild! :crazy:

ssrs2lt 07-10-2015 12:17 PM

Hahaha fair enough

Red2014SS 07-10-2015 02:09 PM

Our local car dealerships can run plates and get any info associated with the plate. They need the info when cars get randomly dropped off on the lot and they need to contact the owner.