Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Alpine iLX-W650 on PAC RPK5-GM4102 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549956)

CreeperRS 03-15-2019 02:17 AM

Alpine iLX-W650 on PAC RPK5-GM4102

Just purchased these two, they’re currently on back order… doh!!

The Alpine, the price and the size, is what did it for me! For me the PAC looks so much better than the other brands.

Also, this version of the PAC has the buttons already installed, no need to switch over the old ones!

What do you guys think??

Timbogrip 03-26-2019 06:05 AM

just installed the same combo!

Just had this exact combo installed in my wife's 2013 SS, looks great and sounds great, went with Hertz Speakers all around, Audison SR 5 Amp, and Audison 10" DL sub box. It sounds amazing, especially compared to the stock(non-Bose) radio.

The installer and I have been on quite a learning curve with the PAC unit, carefully read everything you can find. The link below is the best information I have found about the PAC kit, so good, wish I had read it before I dropped off the car, would have saved a couple of headaches. CUT THE BROWN WIRE!

http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/pac-a...4101-hands-on/

Cheap Guy 03-26-2019 01:17 PM

While I still like the PAC unit, I'm really growing to hate the Pioneer unit I bought, especially due to the tight fit and the lack of a volume knob. I strongly recommend a HU with a short chassis like the one you bought. It's really tight behind the radio especially with all of the wiring. With that unit I would have been able to possibly hide the Sirius unit behind the radio too and possible eliminate some of the cutting. I've never used the DVD/CD function so I obviously wouldn't miss it.

CreeperRS 04-10-2019 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbogrip (Post 10471411)
Just had this exact combo installed in my wife's 2013 SS, looks great and sounds great, went with Hertz Speakers all around, Audison SR 5 Amp, and Audison 10" DL sub box. It sounds amazing, especially compared to the stock(non-Bose) radio.

The installer and I have been on quite a learning curve with the PAC unit, carefully read everything you can find. The link below is the best information I have found about the PAC kit, so good, wish I had read it before I dropped off the car, would have saved a couple of headaches. CUT THE BROWN WIRE!

http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/pac-a...4101-hands-on/

Thanks for the info, much appreciated it!

CreeperRS 04-10-2019 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy (Post 10471800)
While I still like the PAC unit, I'm really growing to hate the Pioneer unit I bought, especially due to the tight fit and the lack of a volume knob. I strongly recommend a HU with a short chassis like the one you bought. It's really tight behind the radio especially with all of the wiring. With that unit I would have been able to possibly hide the Sirius unit behind the radio too and possible eliminate some of the cutting. I've never used the DVD/CD function so I obviously wouldn't miss it.

Yeah, I was thinking that same, I remember the other HU I had to cram into my 2010 SS, too bad it didn’t occur to me to cut the small plastic tab to make room. I had to get creative, It was a real pain. Thanks

CreeperRS 04-10-2019 02:20 AM

Just got these tonight!

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 982283

Attachment 982284

CreeperRS 04-10-2019 10:59 AM

Already working on this install!!

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 982325

Cheap Guy 04-10-2019 11:42 AM

i see on Five Star Car Stereo's recent Camaro install video they recommend opening up the back of the dash a little bit more than originally recommended so that the fit isn't so tight and allows more room to put the Pac module.

CreeperRS 04-10-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy (Post 10486313)
i see on Five Star Car Stereo's recent Camaro install video they recommend opening up the back of the dash a little bit more than originally recommended so that the fit isn't so tight and allows more room to put the Pac module.

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

CreeperRS 04-11-2019 10:16 AM

Back at it again!

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 982467

Snoman 04-11-2019 10:27 AM

Good selections. However, I wish Alpine offered a true tuner (no power) with Optical and RCA outs. Alpine has seriously dropped the ball on this proven quality design.

CreeperRS 04-11-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoman (Post 10487420)
Good selections. However, I wish Alpine offered a true tuner (no power) with Optical and RCA outs. Alpine has seriously dropped the ball on this proven quality design.

Yeah, but for $299. It’s not bad, plus it has all the stuff I will use!

CreeperRS 04-11-2019 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 982469

PistonHead 04-11-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy (Post 10486313)

Shouldn't be an issue with how shallow the W650 is. It leaves a ton of room behind this unit.

5 Star was installing a full depth double din Pioneer, which leaves no room behind it.

Later,
Brad