CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Upgraded Brake Lines (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581139)

Cleancoupe 09-02-2020 06:22 AM

Upgraded Brake Lines

Planning on tracking my ZLE this fall so I will be changing out to DOT4 fluid so I figured I would upgrade the brake lines while in the process. I know it’s not a necessity, but I figured why not.

I’m not trying to set any track records or anything, but my question is are the Carbon Fiber Brake Lines worth the premium over the Stainless Steel Lines? Thanks

PROMETHEUS 09-02-2020 07:45 AM

I changed to the CF brake lines. I don't really feel any significant difference between the OEM and the CF. I liked the idea of their high pressure abilities and I was okay at spending that kind of money for piece of mind. But no.....you really don't need them! But the DOT4 is an absolutely must!!!!!

MatthewAMEL 09-02-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleancoupe (Post 10860643)
Planning on tracking my ZLE this fall so I will be changing out to DOT4 fluid so I figured I would upgrade the brake lines while in the process. I know it’s not a necessity, but I figured why not.

I’m not trying to set any track records or anything, but my question is are the Carbon Fiber Brake Lines worth the premium over the Stainless Steel Lines? Thanks

CF lines are NOT worth the $.

Even stainless lines aren't necessary on this car.

However if you just gotta do it...(and that's me) the Goodridge or Spiegler lines are very good build quality. I have the Speigler's.

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/53...el+Brake+Lines

Where in FL are you going? I run at Sebring, Daytona, PBIR and The FIRM often. Are you going to Sebring on the 16th?

Vigilante375 09-02-2020 09:29 AM

Carbon fiber lines, from what I heard, actually flex more than stainless steel. Yea you might save a couple of ounces in weight, thats about all.

If you want to spend the money and say you have carbon fiber lines, go ahead but stainless steel lines are better overall and cheaper.

hooligan317 09-02-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigilante375 (Post 10860749)
Carbon fiber lines, from what I heard, actually flex more than stainless steel. Yea you might save a couple of ounces in weight, thats about all.

If you want to spend the money and say you have carbon fiber lines, go ahead but stainless steel lines are better overall and cheaper.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing your statement, "stainless lines are better overall," on? The previous comment that you heard they flex more? Just looking for facts/data to help make decisions.

Vigilante375 09-02-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooligan317 (Post 10860755)
Out of curiosity, what are you basing your statement, "stainless lines are better overall," on? The previous comment that you heard they flex more? Just looking for facts/data to help make decisions.

It's from the days of being in the motorcycle seen and people wanting carbon fiber brake lines, just because. So maybe things have changed since then.

I'm certain you can Google carbon fiber brake lines vs stainless steel and find what you're looking for.

Actually, I found this:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=563269&page=2

Get in touch with that member and see what he can tell you.

Heartbreaker 09-02-2020 09:57 AM

Brake lines

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleancoupe (Post 10860643)

I switched over to Goodridge stainless steel lines. I do not notice a different feel in the brakes. Abrasion resistance and protection from road debrie is better than OEM. The big improvement was when I put in SRF DOT 4. Great stuff...

hooligan317 09-02-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigilante375 (Post 10860762)
It's from the days of being in the motorcycle seen and people wanting carbon fiber brake lines, just because. So maybe things have changed since then.

I'm certain you can Google carbon fiber brake lines vs stainless steel and find what you're looking for.

Actually, I found this:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=563269&page=2

Get in touch with that member and see what he can tell you.

Got it. Your comment to the OP was pretty matter of fact that one was superior to the other so I was just looking for the facts/data you were using behind that. All good, appreciate the input.

Here's the other thread that goes into a lot of detail on the CF lines and the "why" behind them vs. Stainless, in case the OP is interested:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561322

Mountain 09-02-2020 10:29 AM

I dove into this subject pretty in depth. You can search for the posts I have on this (there is a thread what a majority of it).

The OEM lines are a higher-grade line than typical rubber lines on your Honda Civic. They are well-enough for most people tracking their cars.

With aftermarket lines, really, you are just grabbing that extra 2%. You wont really notice a whole lot on the street or unless you have a sensitive foot/really looking for any change at all. The lower expansion of stainless and CF lines, in general, is minute enough to be overwhelmed by brake pads that compress less than OE. What I am saying is if you change nothing but race brake pads and DOT 4 fluid, you won't really be able to feel the difference that these lower expansion lines provide. Where you will be able to notice a difference, otherwise, would be on-track with brake ON/OFF timing and how that works into modulation. Either stainless or CF lines will last longer than the OEM lines, both to track abuse and purely just over time.

The CF lines are stiffer than stainless, but not enough to notice anything between the two. Between stainless and CF, you are just getting lower weight and a better bending radius with CF.

soceur77 09-02-2020 10:30 AM

Can agree with previous comments as I jumped on the CF bandwagon when the guy had them made in Italy....I can tell no concernable diff even with SRF brake fluid. I wont say it was a waste of money, ut I would advise anyine else to do as I did. Hell I vote on a CF bow tie first, (sarcasm)

SCCAForums 09-02-2020 10:43 AM

The OEM lines ARE NOT safe IMO. I would get about 4 laps and the pedal would get soft.

I switched to C/F lines... and ZERO soft pedal.

I cannot speak to pro/con vs. Stainless... as I've ran Stainless on my other race cars without issue.

The C/F fit and finish are second to none, I'm a big fan of them... and felt overall the price was reasonable.

Whether you choose C/F or Stainless, I highly recommend upgrading if you do any sort of tracking.

Best regards,
Dave

ZRacerLE 09-02-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCCAForums (Post 10860794)
The OEM lines ARE NOT safe IMO. I would get about 4 laps and the pedal would get soft.

I switched to C/F lines... and ZERO soft pedal.

I cannot speak to pro/con vs. Stainless... as I've ran Stainless on my other race cars without issue.

The C/F fit and finish are second to none, I'm a big fan of them... and felt overall the price was reasonable.

Whether you choose C/F or Stainless, I highly recommend upgrading if you do any sort of tracking.

Best regards,
Dave

I haven't had any issues with the stock brakes with dot4 fluid and braking hard at the track. Wonder if it's the extra power of your car? What tracks do you run? I've only been to MSR Houston (4 days) in this car, so maybe it's not a fast enough track to see the limits of the stock brakes.

kropscamaro16 09-02-2020 12:33 PM

i have goodridge lines and motul 660 fluid no issues here

SCCAForums 09-02-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZRacerLE (Post 10860873)
I haven't had any issues with the stock brakes with dot4 fluid and braking hard at the track. Wonder if it's the extra power of your car? What tracks do you run? I've only been to MSR Houston (4 days) in this car, so maybe it's not a fast enough track to see the limits of the stock brakes.

This was in my 2018 ZLE, so stock power. At APEX Motorsports in Phoenix AZ. I ran Race brake fluid with stock lines and pedal would be soft by lap 5... still broke fine, just a “longer pedal”.

Once I switched to the C/F lines, brake pedal remained firm entire sessions.

Best Regards,
Dave