CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   No Buick (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592550)

Monroe 05-17-2021 12:18 AM

No Buick

I went to Buicks Website because I was thinking about a Luxury sedan after seeing the experimental Avenir model. But WTF did I see? Nothing!!! Buick makes no more cars! All effing SUVs now!...If they were going to do that sh!t they should have dropped Buick and kept Pontiac!!!:mad2:

redcoats1976 05-17-2021 01:34 AM

but wouldnt an all SUV pontiac lineup suck even worse.might even have an e-gto...

Puddin 05-17-2021 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 11011570)
but wouldnt an all SUV pontiac lineup suck even worse.might even have an e-gto...

Or worse an E-Aztek.

Spaceme1117 05-17-2021 06:35 AM

These a-holes at Ford and GM think that people will move from buying cars to SUV's and its not happening. People are shifting from buying Ford and GM cars that they don't make anymore to buying Hyundai, KIA, and Honda's because they sell actual cars.

But GM has neglected Buick for years.

Petrol Head 05-17-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 11011557)
I went to Buicks Website because I was thinking about a Luxury sedan after seeing the experimental Avenir model. But WTF did I see? Nothing!!! Buick makes no more cars! All effing SUVs now!...If they were going to do that sh!t they should have dropped Buick and kept Pontiac!!!:mad2:

The only reason to keep Pontiac would have been to keep producing performance coupes and sedans. In the end the only real Pontiac remaining was the G8, and that was a rebadged Holden. Everything else Pontiac had was a rebadge car from another GM line that was just as pathetic as the original.

Pontiac was Firebird/Trans Am, Grand Prix, Bonneville, GTO. Everything else was junk and not worthy. That's what killed it.

In all honesty, if having Pontiac remain a performance brand and continuing production of the Firebird/Trans Am and/or the GTO on the Camaro's Alpha platform meant the Camaro going away, I would not be opposed to that. The Pontiac shield, the red/orange backlit gauges and dashboard, the whole thing about Pontiac vibe was black leather jacket, leather driving gloves, and aviator sun glasses. Timeless cool.

Buick? Meh. They're your Grandma's car. They had their moments with the GSX, Grand National, and GNX..... Reatta and Riviera if you're into the whole super high tech luxury coupe thing...... but really were always Grandma's car.

My Mom has a 2019 LaCrosse. But unlike most Grandmas she balances life with her 2016 Corvette w/Z51 track package :D

LT4Greg 05-17-2021 06:45 AM

Wake up folks! Hasn’t anyone noticed all the SUVs on the roads now? They are everywhere. I can usually count the cars on 2 hands when sitting in traffic. Once gas hits 5 dollars or more a gallon people will be wanting to get cars again to save money instead of SUVs big and small and of course trucks included!

Petrol Head 05-17-2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 11011613)
Wake up folks! Hasn’t anyone noticed all the SUVs on the roads now? They are everywhere. I can usually count the cars on 2 hands when sitting in traffic. Once gas hits 5 dollars or more a gallon people will be wanting to get cars again to save money instead of SUVs big and small and of course trucks included!

I've always felt that 90% of the people who have SUVs don't really need or utilize their capabilities in space, seating, cargo area, hauling/towing capacity, or terrain capability. If there was no choice but to buy a standard coupe or sedan they'd get along in life just fine.

I mean, do you really need 60 cu. ft of cargo space to get the groceries? If you seriously need even half that, you and the significant other need to get fixed :nod:

HCI2000SS 05-17-2021 06:57 AM

We've recently found that you can buy 3-4:year old lightly used Buick sedans for dirt cheap. The resale is horrible. My girl was looking a loaded 2017 Lacrosse with 30,000 miles and they were asking 20k. This car had a sticker of 46k brand new in 2017. Hell of a car at that price, and this particular one had a great history and is certified pre- owned.

Silverado57 05-17-2021 07:44 AM

Two years ago we got one of the few remaining Buick LaCrosses available. It's a darn shame they stopped making these. The LaCrosse is a big, comfortable car with a V6 that has over 300HP and gets 34MPG+ in highway driving. We love it!
GM needs to wake up and start making cars like that again.

Petrol Head 05-17-2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverado57 (Post 11011632)
Two years ago we got one of the few remaining Buick LaCrosses available. It's a darn shame they stopped making these. The LaCrosse is a big, comfortable car with a V6 that has over 300HP and gets 34MPG+ in highway driving. We love it!
GM needs to wake up and start making cars like that again.

Yeah it's actually quite quick with the 3.6 V6 and 9 speed transmission. Coming from the 2007 Lucerne my Mom had with the old 3800 and 4 speed, she wasn't ready for it at first lol

zaimer 05-17-2021 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrol Head (Post 11011615)
I've always felt that 90% of the people who have SUVs don't really need or utilize their capabilities in space, seating, cargo area, hauling/towing capacity, or terrain capability. If there was no choice but to buy a standard coupe or sedan they'd get along in life just fine.

I mean, do you really need 60 cu. ft of cargo space to get the groceries? If you seriously need even half that, you and the significant other need to get fixed :nod:

I agree, but also looks at the people who are expecting one child and all of a sudden they NEED a van. Or the guys that buy big diesel 3/4 trucks to get groceries and look cool.

zaimer 05-17-2021 08:02 AM

It is a bit sad the Buick is no longer making cars. They've always had the reputation of being the grandma car, but they were excellent for what they were. Most of them rode very well, great on gas and have big enough motors to actually move the car.

90503 05-17-2021 08:10 AM

Buick is basically a Chinese car that GM only makes in China...What Buick SUVs sold here are made in China....Buick has some celestial ancient connection to the Chinese...They can keep them over there....Buick in the US is dead.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/04...olio-in-china/

redcoats1976 05-17-2021 08:10 AM

my daughter has 4 kids...i dont really know what she was thinking,but she is a soccer van mom.and buick was dead when the last GNX left the factory.

foshjowler 05-17-2021 08:14 AM

The modern crossover SUV is just the current thing in the line of Americans buying a bigger car than we really need. It was the wagon, then the minivan, now it's the crossover. People like them because it makes them feel bigger, safer, and they provide more utility than a midsize sedan. The crossover also doesn't give the fuel economy hit that the last SUV trend of the 90s did. Crossovers still get high 20s and into 30s MPG, which is more or less on par with midsize and full-size sedans. I just don't see people shifting back to those cars to gain 5 mpg. The cost difference isn't that great. Crossovers will eventually fall out of trend like all the past family utility vehicles, but they'll be replaced by something similar.

Number 3 05-17-2021 08:16 AM

OP welcome to the 2020s. When the Regal died that was the end. Saw it coming when they cancelled the Verano.

As mentioned go to Buick’s China website. There you will see the Verano and LaCrosse, both still manufactured there. You will also see a competent but not great mini van.

Chevy is not far behind. Cruise gone ( still manufactured in China and Mexico). Sonic gone (still manufactured in Korea I believe). Take out the performance cars and Chevy has Malibu and Spark.

Pontiac was lonnngggggggg dead at the end of 00s. Nothing but rebadged cars that weren’t selling. Buick globally is a pretty powerful brand.

Petrol Head 05-17-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaimer (Post 11011643)
It is a bit sad the Buick is no longer making cars. They've always had the reputation of being the grandma car, but they were excellent for what they were. Most of them rode very well, great on gas and have big enough motors to actually move the car.

Oh no question about that. If you wanted a comfortable sedan that fit everyone and their luggage with ease and was quiet, powerful, smooth, economical, and reliable, there was nothing like a Buick.

GearheadSS 05-17-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 11011557)

That was 12 years ago.....:smiling1:

You clearly haven't read up on the business side of that decision that was made back then. Buick in 2009=Profit, Pontiac in 2009=non profit. During the bankruptcy, GM had to shutter 2 divisions, Hummer and one other division. The decision was easy for GM since Buick was mega profitable in China.

I can tell you for certain though. If Pontiac had survived, it would look similar to Buick now. Cars aren't available for a reason.

HCI2000SS 05-17-2021 08:38 AM

I gotta tell you, the newer Buick sedans are nothing like old floaty boats of years past in my opinion. We drove both the Lacrosse and Regal, and while they were both very quiet and refined, they handled exceptionally well for a bigger luxury type car. Very little body roll too. We drove many cars in this class including the Cadenza, Avalon, 300, and Impala. The Lacrosse honestly felt the best overall

90503 05-17-2021 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My favorite Buick....1965 Riviera....Mostly, though, I remember seeing all the old 50's Buick Road Masters and other behemoths stacked up like cordwood in junkyards...lol. They were a good heavy car to have for Destruction Derby....lol

Attachment 1068110

Attachment 1068111

Petrol Head 05-17-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 11011689)
My favorite Buick....1965 Riviera....Mostly, though, I remember seeing all the old 50's Buick Road Masters and other behemoths stacked up like cordwood in junkyards...lol. They were a good heavy car to have for Destruction Derby....lol

Attachment 1068109

I went to high school with a kid whose Dad was a classic car collector. In nice weather he would always drive his Dads 1967 Riviera GS 430 to school. Silver, black landau roof, black interior, factory 5 spoke mag wheels. This was in 1994-95.

He was always the coolest kid in school the days he drove it!

BluinSC 05-17-2021 09:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I loved my 18 Lacrosse Premium. Had every option. Great riding car and the V6 had the right amount of power and fuel economy. Traded it to get another SS. But I should have paid it off first.

Might get another in a couple years once the SS is paid off. Or just wait save up and get. CTS V or CT6V. I do wish Buick made a performance sedan on the level of those two. GF loved the massaging seats of the Lacrosse on long drives

SSJ455 05-17-2021 09:53 AM

I have a 13 GS which I love but soon it will be time replace it. Buick has nothing I want since they went to the all SUV lineup. I am liking the Caddy CT5 but sedans are difficult to come by in the GM store - or any sedans that I like.

FarmerFran 05-17-2021 09:55 AM

Chevy
10 = SUV (including 3 electric)
4 = Cars (including Camaro and Corvette)

Cadillac
5 = SUV (including 1 electric)
6 = Cars (Including V)

Buick
6 = SUV

GM
21 = SUV
10 = Cars

CanadianVetZL1 05-17-2021 09:58 AM

IF you build it, they may not come...............

Silverado57 05-17-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 11011654)
Buick is basically a Chinese car that GM only makes in China...What Buick SUVs sold here are made in China....Buick has some celestial ancient connection to the Chinese...They can keep them over there....Buick in the US is dead.

The Envision is made in china but I believe other models are made in USA. GMCs are still made in North America. Our 2019 LaCrosse was made in USA.

90503 05-17-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverado57 (Post 11011745)
The Envision is made in china but I believe other models are made in USA. GMCs are still made in North America. Our 2019 LaCrosse was made in USA.

https://www.buick.com/

All new Buicks for sale at dealerships in the US are SUVs and Crossovers only. I don't think any of them are made in the US, but I could be mistaken.

Perhaps some discontinued models were made in US.

cthulhucaller 05-17-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddin (Post 11011600)
Or worse an E-Aztek.

There's an idea. An E-Aztek would be something the entire car enthusiast community could come together and hate. :)

CamaroSSStlfan 05-17-2021 11:21 AM

GM should have never killed Pontiac. It should have kept it and made it their more stylish, premium and performance mixed in wing. Go back to the days of the REAL GTO, not that bland looking one.

They should have brought the Firebird back and designed the GTO that looked like a real GTO. Specialize in performance for people like us.

They could made a modern day equiv to a Judge with the 455 engine like in 1970 that would be their beast, then have a regular Judge and GTO like the SS and LT1. Beef it up and have a fine interior like the GTO did.

To hell with electric and stupid weenie hybrid cars that a lot of dweebs and millennials like to drive now!

GearheadSS 05-17-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerFran (Post 11011723)
Chevy
14 = Truck/SUV/EV (including 2022 Bolt EUV)
4 = Cars

Cadillac
6 = SUV (including 2022 Lyriq)
2 = Cars

Buick
4 = SUV

GMC
10= Truck/SUV/EV (including 2022 Hummer EV)

GM
34 = Truck/SUV/EV
6 = Cars

Fixed this for you.

Cadillac only has 2 models that are cars. CT4 and CT5. V and Blackwing are just trims in those model lines.

Buick has 4 models. Encore, Encore GX, Envision and Enclave.

I'm also including models like the Chevy Express and GMC Savanna since they're available in passenger configuration. Not including Medium Duty 3500/4500/5500/6500 trucks since those are fleet only.

KirkH 05-17-2021 12:15 PM

I detailed a 1991 Buick Roadmaster last week. They don't make them like that anymore! Thank goodness!!! This one is in pretty good shape. This is the "before" picture.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...164020e5b1.jpg

N Camarolina 05-17-2021 12:30 PM

Did they ever make a Roadmaster in the 80's/90's with feaux wood panel sides? I seem to remember seeing one from back then, and thinking "REALLY, this is what a car company thinks people want to drive?"

YellowFever 05-17-2021 12:35 PM

My wife and I have the Buick Enclave, and it's a very nice car/crossover. Plenty of room, handles great also. Great for road trips. She drives it daily and loves it.

Petrol Head 05-17-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Camarolina (Post 11011812)
Did they ever make a Roadmaster in the 80's/90's with feaux wood panel sides? I seem to remember seeing one from back then, and thinking "REALLY, this is what a car company thinks people want to drive?"

The Roadmaster name was first used from the 1930s until the late 1950s. Then it was resurrected in 1991-1996.

The wagon version could be had with optional "faux wood" paneling. Yeah it was kinda lame. But, the bones of that car were very good. Especially with the 350. It was the same chassis GM made all their 1990s police cruisers on and you could cheaply and easily soup the car up.

My cousin has a '93 wagon with a crate 402 motor in it and completely beefed up suspension and brakes.

A lot of people even do manual transmission swaps in them now.

HighIron 05-17-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

That's kind of my observation as well. It seems those smaller SUVs are very popular ( Toyota RAV, Ford Escape, Hyundai Tuscon, Honda CRV etc ) but based on the one's I've ridden in ( relatives, friends, GF ), there's certainly not much in the "S" department of SUV, and as well not really all that much in the way of the "U" either. The area between the back seat and the rear tailgate is really not that big...it's like the trunk of my Camaro if stood up on end. So what we have is compact four door sedan with more ground clearance than a sedan, and doesn't handle as well as a car.

Monroe 05-17-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 11011654)

So GM is also selling out to Communist China? Truly a sad commentary.

UnknownJinX 05-17-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

They are easier to get in and out of, though, for old, overweight people, or people with physical conditions like chronic pain. That alone could sell them.

As much as I loved my RX-8, it felt kinda wrong to have my grandparents get in and out of it when they visited me, and that was a relatively practical coupé with its suicide doors. Ended up renting a BMW X3, which was kind of a POS(mainly due to CEL being on, very BMW) but it held their massive amount of luggage and it's less difficult to get in and out of for them.

There aren't many wagons to choose from here, either.

GearheadSS 05-17-2021 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by N Camarolina (Post 11011812)

Yes. I never did like the faux woodgrain look. They make great sleepers though.

This one belongs to Dax Shepard and has a 700hp LSA in it.

Petrol Head 05-17-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 11011843)
They are easier to get in and out of, though, for old, overweight people, or people with physical conditions like chronic pain. That alone could sell them.

As much as I loved my RX-8, it felt kinda wrong to have my grandparents get in and out of it when they visited me, and that was a relatively practical coupé with its suicide doors. Ended up renting a BMW X3, which was kind of a POS(mainly due to CEL being on, very BMW) but it held their massive amount of luggage and it's less difficult to get in and out of for them.

There aren't many wagons to choose from here, either.

My 71 year old, 5'1" mother gets in and out of her Corvette far easier than any SUV. She will NEVER buy one. So there's that.

Zr8000 05-17-2021 01:55 PM

90% of suv built now are pretty mini vans with normal doors