CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   2020 SS 1LE vs 2020 Mustang GT (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575690)

John_B 05-19-2020 03:00 PM

2020 SS 1LE vs 2020 Mustang GT

Hey guys, first post here and I’m hoping to get some opinions and maybe help me make this decision on my next car. I apologize in advance for the long post, just trying to show I’m not a troll and explain what i am looking for.

I’ve always been a mustang guy, my first car was a 02 V6, then a 02 GT then i bought a 2012 GT brand new and that’s where i really started getting into modding my cars. It was a Paxton supercharged coyote putting down 660 to the tire back in 2013. Eventually sold that car and got the C5Z which makes 730whp that I’m trying to sell now.

I’m torn between the Camaro and the Mustang. I think both cars look great and price is very similar so that’s not really a factor. I love how easy the gen 3 coyote can make power with boost and it would definitely be the faster of the two, I’d get the 10 speed auto and go Procharger and make an easy 750 without too much worry. But i already had a coyote and also want to try something new so i started looking more into the Camaro and nothing sounds better than a cammed LS/LT, also the exhaust note in general sounds better to me. I would get the 1LE, because i really want the Recaro seats, brakes, exterior bits and the suspension is a plus but i wouldn’t be road racing the car. From the research I’ve been doing, the LT1 pistons can’t hold too much power with boost reliably, so i figured it would be a fun N/A build and make 500+. Clearly a slower car, but sounding much better and possibly more enjoyable to drive on weekends being a manual.

I guess my decision is stuck with not being the fastest (you never are) and going into a car i know i can’t make the power i want without big money and into the motor. But realistically it’s just a weekend car to drive on nice days and to car shows if I’m not working. I used to spend a lot of time in the streets of Mexico but i can’t remember the last time i went so maybe I shouldn’t be trying to make a car for that and realize I’m past that. A fbo/cammed 6th gen Camaro would be a lot of fun to enjoy on the streets.

HCI2000SS 05-19-2020 03:45 PM

I've owned both. A 2016 Mustang and a 2018 Camaro. IMO no matter which trim and model you get, the Camaro is the more nimble and sporty feeling of the two. So all things being equal (and being a weekend toy only) I think the 1LE would be great

John_B 05-19-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10793414)
I've owned both. A 2016 Mustang and a 2018 Camaro. IMO no matter which trim and model you get, the Camaro is the more nimble and sporty feeling of the two. So all things being equal (and being a weekend toy only) I think the 1LE would be great

Thank you for your input. From what I’ve read, I’d say that’s an accurate assessment. Camaro will ride/handle better. The power is the only thing holding me back.

I prefer the sound and interior of the Camaro much more. I prefer the power potential of the mustang.

HCI2000SS 05-19-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10793418)
Thank you for your input. From what I’ve read, I’d say that’s an accurate assessment. Camaro will ride/handle better. The power is the only thing holding me back.

I prefer the sound and interior of the Camaro much more. I prefer the power potential of the mustang.

Yeah the potential of the 5.0 with a blower or turbo is crazy. I guess if it were me (and I wanted something with way over 500 hp) then I'd do the Mustang hands down. Anything less than that, then the Camaro hands down. Of course things like price, options, etc...would all be a factor as well.

Mike Aruba 05-19-2020 04:04 PM

The main thing that steered me away from an S550 is the manual tranny, and auto would never be a consideration for me. I was in a similar position and went with the SS, and I honestly have zero regrets.

Either way, both choices are great cars and you cant go wrong. Maybe try to test drive both?

Good luck!

-Aruba

ST1LE 05-19-2020 04:19 PM

Just an FYI since you mentioned getting the A10 on the Mustang. Starting in 2021 MY, the A10 will also be offered on the SS 1LE.

Good luck in your choice!

John_B 05-19-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10793428)
Yeah the potential of the 5.0 with a blower or turbo is crazy. I guess if it were me (and I wanted something with way over 500 hp) then I'd do the Mustang hands down. Anything less than that, then the Camaro hands down. Of course things like price, options, etc...would all be a factor as well.

I agree. That’s basically what I’m stuck on, do i want to build a 800hp roll race car, or an awesome sounding n/a 500hp build. If i could afford a ZL1 it would be a no brainer lol

John_B 05-19-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Aruba (Post 10793436)
The main thing that steered me away from an S550 is the manual tranny, and auto would never be a consideration for me. I was in a similar position and went with the SS, and I honestly have zero regrets.

Either way, both choices are great cars and you cant go wrong. Maybe try to test drive both?

Good luck!

-Aruba

I totally get that. The mt82 isn’t good, luckily i had no issues in my 2012. I never thought I’d say i want an auto, but seeing the gen 3 coyote with a blower/turbo and the auto is just nuts.

I need to definitely drive the Camaro, i drove a 5th gen a long time ago but i need to get into a 6th gen and see how i like it. The mustang I’ve driven already

John_B 05-19-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10793446)
Just an FYI since you mentioned getting the A10 on the Mustang. Starting in 2021 MY, the A10 will also be offered on the SS 1LE.

Good luck in your choice!

I noticed that, my thought process was if I’m building a 800hp mustang I’d want the auto (never thought I’d say that) to make it as fast and consistent as possible racing.

The 1LE being about 500ish would be more about driving enjoyment so i want to stick with the manual and be able to row through the gears and it’s just a fun car to enjoy on weekends.

Two different builds depending which route i take. I’m trying to talk myself into the Camaro but the lack of power is making me hesitate.

LESS1 05-19-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10793418)

FYSA... not the same as current LT1 but not that far removed.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/amaz...543-hp-turbos/

DaveC113 05-19-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10793448)
I agree. That’s basically what I’m stuck on, do i want to build a 800hp roll race car, or an awesome sounding n/a 500hp build. If i could afford a ZL1 it would be a no brainer lol

If you're gonna boost it, I'd look into some gently used ZL1s, if such a thing exists... :)

Not only do you get a forged motor but the suspension and electronics are all tuned for the extra weight and power, you get the ZL1 front end, side skirts, wider front fenders, ZL1 hood, larger exhaust tips, 2SS features in general, and far, far better resale value. IMO, it's a better deal to start with a ZL1 if you're going blower.

OTOH, I'd rather have my SS 1LE and build that 500 hp motor you're talking about, it weighs less, generates less heat under the hood, and you can probably build it to ~7500 rpm redline with the right valvetrain. There's a member here, Nicky something, dammit I can't remember, but his SS 1lE is a racecar and he somewhat recently posted about his new valvetrain parts. I'd be interested to see how that turned out!

John_B 05-19-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC113 (Post 10793633)
If you're gonna boost it, I'd look into some gently used ZL1s, if such a thing exists... :)

Not only do you get a forged motor but the suspension and electronics are all tuned for the extra weight and power, you get the ZL1 front end, side skirts, wider front fenders, ZL1 hood, larger exhaust tips, 2SS features in general, and far, far better resale value. IMO, it's a better deal to start with a ZL1 if you're going blower.

OTOH, I'd rather have my SS 1LE and build that 500 hp motor you're talking about, it weighs less, generates less heat under the hood, and you can probably build it to ~7500 rpm redline with the right valvetrain. There's a member here, Nicky something, dammit I can't remember, but his SS 1lE is a racecar and he somewhat recently posted about his new valvetrain parts. I'd be interested to see how that turned out!

Well if i get a Camaro SS, i wont boost it. Mustang, yes... the used ZL1 is definitely an option and ill keep an eye out. I really don’t like buying other peoples used cars and the risk that comes with it. But i also think that would be slightly out of budget going 50k+

A 500hp all motor SS would definitely be fun, just need to keep telling myself its fast enough lol

HCI2000SS 05-19-2020 10:00 PM

Here is another thought and/or option. Get a nice nasty sounding 500-550 rwhp n/a Camaro and throw a 150 shot at it. This is basically what my 2000 SS is. It's a heads and cam 6.0 with a 150 shot. I've taken down setups with 100 plus hp more than me. The massive torque and instantaneous power that nitrous makes is hard to beat. Just a thought

DaveC113 05-19-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10793661)
Well if i get a Camaro SS, i wont boost it. Mustang, yes... the used ZL1 is definitely an option and ill keep an eye out. I really don’t like buying other peoples used cars and the risk that comes with it. But i also think that would be slightly out of budget going 50k+

A 500hp all motor SS would definitely be fun, just need to keep telling myself its fast enough lol

I know, 500 hp isn't much these days! But otoh a std SS 1LE is a great all around sports car that's so well balanced and just a joy to drive right from the factory. I appreciate power but it's a lot like chasing the dragon and costs more than a drug habit too... :) I think a built motor 1LE would be a good balance, it'll be very close to ZL1 fast in a straight line, but less weight, more balanced, one of the best handling cars you can get... it will be very fast on the track and autox.

SirJangle 05-20-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10793384)
Hey guys, first post here and I’m hoping to get some opinions and maybe help me make this decision on my next car. I apologize in advance for the long post, just trying to show I’m not a troll and explain what i am looking for.

I’ve always been a mustang guy, my first car was a 02 V6, then a 02 GT then i bought a 2012 GT brand new and that’s where i really started getting into modding my cars. It was a Paxton supercharged coyote putting down 660 to the tire back in 2013. Eventually sold that car and got the C5Z which makes 730whp that I’m trying to sell now.

I’m torn between the Camaro and the Mustang. I think both cars look great and price is very similar so that’s not really a factor. I love how easy the gen 3 coyote can make power with boost and it would definitely be the faster of the two, I’d get the 10 speed auto and go Procharger and make an easy 750 without too much worry. But i already had a coyote and also want to try something new so i started looking more into the Camaro and nothing sounds better than a cammed LS/LT, also the exhaust note in general sounds better to me. I would get the 1LE, because i really want the Recaro seats, brakes, exterior bits and the suspension is a plus but i wouldn’t be road racing the car. From the research I’ve been doing, the LT1 pistons can’t hold too much power with boost reliably, so i figured it would be a fun N/A build and make 500+. Clearly a slower car, but sounding much better and possibly more enjoyable to drive on weekends being a manual.

I guess my decision is stuck with not being the fastest (you never are) and going into a car i know i can’t make the power i want without big money and into the motor. But realistically it’s just a weekend car to drive on nice days and to car shows if I’m not working. I used to spend a lot of time in the streets of Mexico but i can’t remember the last time i went so maybe I shouldn’t be trying to make a car for that and realize I’m past that. A fbo/cammed 6th gen Camaro would be a lot of fun to enjoy on the streets.

Back in May 2019, I drove my SS and the Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package (among other makes/models) trying to decide on what toy I wanted as my wife agreed we could get me one for my 50th birthday. After driving some imports over the past few years (Nissan 370Z, Lexus RC350 F-Sport, and Infiniti Q60), I found myself being drawn back to American muscle. I'll be honest, I loved the Mustang GT but the interior is awful IMO. When I drove my SS, I fell in love with EVERY single aspect of her. I know this is subjective, but that's honestly THE reason I went with the SS over the Mustang. I really don't understand why Ford does that. The interior in the Mustang is almost no different than the interior in my aunt's Focus. Way too many seams and it just looked cheap all the way down to the fake, plastic "carbon fiber" pieces.

Drive them both and get whichever puts the biggest smile on your face. That's what I did and I have absolutely no regrets. Good luck!

ST1LE 05-20-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10793451)
I noticed that, my thought process was if I’m building a 800hp mustang I’d want the auto (never thought I’d say that) to make it as fast and consistent as possible racing.

The 1LE being about 500ish would be more about driving enjoyment so i want to stick with the manual and be able to row through the gears and it’s just a fun car to enjoy on weekends.

Two different builds depending which route i take. I’m trying to talk myself into the Camaro but the lack of power is making me hesitate.

Gotcha, and I figured as much as you did describe the routes you would take with each, basically targeting and maximizing the different strengths of each platform.

Just wanted to make sure you knew. I am a N/A manual car guy myself, it doesnt even have to be fast lol!! If it has that sweet V8 note and 3 pedals, then I am a happy camper.

John_B 05-20-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10793689)
Here is another thought and/or option. Get a nice nasty sounding 500-550 rwhp n/a Camaro and throw a 150 shot at it. This is basically what my 2000 SS is. It's a heads and cam 6.0 with a 150 shot. I've taken down setups with 100 plus hp more than me. The massive torque and instantaneous power that nitrous makes is hard to beat. Just a thought

That thought crossed my mind too. I can make it 500-550whp and if i start making trips to Mexico or think i need more i can add nitrous. Never was a nitrous guy but for how often I’d use it, it could be a very good option.

Thanks for the reply.

John_B 05-20-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC113 (Post 10793693)
I know, 500 hp isn't much these days! But otoh a std SS 1LE is a great all around sports car that's so well balanced and just a joy to drive right from the factory. I appreciate power but it's a lot like chasing the dragon and costs more than a drug habit too... :) I think a built motor 1LE would be a good balance, it'll be very close to ZL1 fast in a straight line, but less weight, more balanced, one of the best handling cars you can get... it will be very fast on the track and autox.

I’m sure its a joy to drive, i almost feel bad getting the 1LE and not racing it on a track lol but i just would never use it for that and the 1LE has all the options I’d want in a weekend toy. Its pretty crazy that I’m complaining 500hp isn’t fast enough for me.

John_B 05-20-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJangle (Post 10793891)
Back in May 2019, I drove my SS and the Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package (among other makes/models) trying to decide on what toy I wanted as my wife agreed we could get me one for my 50th birthday. After driving some imports over the past few years (Nissan 370Z, Lexus RC350 F-Sport, and Infiniti Q60), I found myself being drawn back to American muscle. I'll be honest, I loved the Mustang GT but the interior is awful IMO. When I drove my SS, I fell in love with EVERY single aspect of her. I know this is subjective, but that's honestly THE reason I went with the SS over the Mustang. I really don't understand why Ford does that. The interior in the Mustang is almost no different than the interior in my aunt's Focus. Way too many seams and it just looked cheap all the way down to the fake, plastic "carbon fiber" pieces.

Drive them both and get whichever puts the biggest smile on your face. That's what I did and I have absolutely no regrets. Good luck!

I think the interior in the Camaro is much better(without sitting/driving in them yet) The Recaro seats look better, i think the dash layout is better, the suede/Alcantara steering wheel and shift knob. Then all panels and just fit and finish just seem to be higher quality and a better all around car... i hear the visibility is awful in the Camaro tho, and i know in the 5th gen i drove it was pretty bad. Shouldn’t really be a factor for me, its not a daily driver. I daily a 2020 WRX and i love that little car.

John_B 05-20-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10793896)
Gotcha, and I figured as much as you did describe the routes you would take with each, basically targeting and maximizing the different strengths of each platform.

Just wanted to make sure you knew. I am a N/A manual car guy myself, it doesnt even have to be fast lol!! If it has that sweet V8 note and 3 pedals, then I am a happy camper.

To me, the sound of the Camaro is much better than the “Exotic” sounding coyote. And because i don’t really race it anymore, i think that better sound and third pedal would be more enjoyable day to day. An auto car thats 800hp is only fun when I’m racing lol

m6-lt1 05-20-2020 12:04 PM

Honestly, I think if you're coming from a high horsepower car, a cammed 6th gen will feel slow to you. The other issue with camming a 6th gen is cost (unless you are doing the labor yourself). It will cost about the same to do a heads, cam, exhaust build on a 6th gen, as it would to just go boosted/catless and some minor fuel mods in a mustang and you'll be making over 100+whp more in the mustang. While doing an NA build is cool, it just doesn't make financial sense to in regards to $$$ per horsepower.

I think you're a great candidate for a used ZL1. Used cars are way better values than new. Yes, you risk them having been beaten on but quite honestly I think the risk is low of you getting one that's been beat to death. Buy and drive it for 6 months or more before modding it. I bet any issues that the car has will have showed up by then. And if they do show up, I'm sure whatever used ZL1 you got will still be under the factory powertrain warranty and it will be fixed (as long as it's stock). Used ZL1's in my opinion are the best bang for the buck on the market imho. They are built to handle big HP numbers and can take a beating. This is the route I would probably go if i were you instead of buying a brand new Camaro SS/Mustang GT.

m6-lt1 05-20-2020 12:06 PM

Oh and if you think the LT1 sounds awesome, wait till you hear the LT4. It sounds Nasty! I agree with you on the LT motors sounding better than the Coyotes. The coyote's imho are the worst sounding v8's to have ever been made.

John_B 05-20-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m6-lt1 (Post 10794069)
Honestly, I think if you're coming from a high horsepower car, a cammed 6th gen will feel slow to you. The other issue with camming a 6th gen is cost (unless you are doing the labor yourself). It will cost about the same to do a heads, cam, exhaust build on a 6th gen, as it would to just go boosted/catless and some minor fuel mods in a mustang and you'll be making over 100+whp more in the mustang. While doing an NA build is cool, it just doesn't make financial sense to in regards to $$$ per horsepower.

I think you're a great candidate for a used ZL1. Used cars are way better values than new. Yes, you risk them having been beaten on but quite honestly I think the risk is low of you getting one that's been beat to death. Buy and drive it for 6 months or more before modding it. I bet any issues that the car has will have showed up by then. And if they do show up, I'm sure whatever used ZL1 you got will still be under the factory powertrain warranty and it will be fixed (as long as it's stock). Used ZL1's in my opinion are the best bang for the buck on the market imho. They are built to handle big HP numbers and can take a beating. This is the route I would probably go if i were you instead of buying a brand new Camaro SS/Mustang GT.

I 100% agree with the cost of n/a 6th gen Camaro vs supercharged mustang, thats the dilemma lol. I would do all the labor myself, except probably the cam and if i got heads. But full exhaust, msd intake and all that stuff I’d do. I’d also do the Procharger install on a mustang with fuel. So that would literally just be buying the kit and then tune

I’m going to definitely start searching more for a lightly used ZL1. Thank you for your input, its all the thoughts I’ve been having and why i made this thread. If I’m being honest, i think a used ZL1(depending on price) vs a brand new mustang is realistically what i should be looking at if i want to go fast.

EDIT- i should also add, 0% financing is on the mustang and a big reason i want brand new, besides not wanting somebody else’s car... i have to check and see if the new Camaro are doing the same right now. Thats a big factor for me

ST1LE 05-20-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

John_B;10794088I’m going to definitely start searching more for a lightly used ZL1.
Great idea! It's the same conclusion I came to after seeing the lightly used prices of these cars. Insane to think you can own a low miles ZL1 for around $50K.

RobbyBeefcake87 05-20-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10793451)

I mean you can make more than 500 horsepower with the camaro if you go beyond fbo. Obviously its easier and cheaper to boost the mustang than the camaro, but a pray or gpi built NA heads cam camaro making 580-600+ whp isn't a bad way to go either.

Ponyeatr16ss 05-20-2020 02:33 PM

I personally am a Chevy guy. My family has worked for GM and Allison for decades. My family is also a very strong military background. History is the reason I’ll only buy a GM product. GM supported the US war effort. Ford supported the nazi war effort. Ford was also personally awarded by Hitler. These are my reasons for which car I would buy. Could be the slowest on the lot I’m still buying a Chevy. Lol

John_B 05-20-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 (Post 10794185)
I mean you can make more than 500 horsepower with the camaro if you go beyond fbo. Obviously its easier and cheaper to boost the mustang than the camaro, but a pray or gpi built NA heads cam camaro making 580-600+ whp isn't a bad way to go either.

Yeah, I’d go FBO right away. Then decide how much i really want to go into this build. I don’t know if i can pick the Camaro and NOT get a cam lol so thats where i go down the rabbit hole and need to decide on n/a or boosted build and if the amount of money in a Camaro to make 550-600 is worth it vs boosting a mustang for similar money and making much more power.

John_B 05-20-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10794181)
Great idea! It's the same conclusion I came to after seeing the lightly used prices of these cars. Insane to think you can own a low miles ZL1 for around $50K.

The thing with a new car is the 0% financing which is great and hard to ignore. I do still have to check and see if Chevy offers it. I know the mustang does and that itself saves a bunch of money.

A used ZL1 would be the best of both worlds as far as performance goes. The sound and interior of the SS and the power of the boosted mustang. I need to sell this stupid vette

Bowtie_Driver 05-20-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10794218)
The thing with a new car is the 0% financing which is great and hard to ignore. I do still have to check and see if Chevy offers it. I know the mustang does and that itself saves a bunch of money.

A used ZL1 would be the best of both worlds as far as performance goes. The sound and interior of the SS and the power of the boosted mustang. I need to sell this stupid vette

GM has been offering 0% financing on 2019 Camaro's. I don't think it is on the 2020's yet.

RobbyBeefcake87 05-20-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10794214)
Yeah, I’d go FBO right away. Then decide how much i really want to go into this build. I don’t know if i can pick the Camaro and NOT get a cam lol so thats where i go down the rabbit hole and need to decide on n/a or boosted build and if the amount of money in a Camaro to make 550-600 is worth it vs boosting a mustang for similar money and making much more power.

True, I guess then it's really a question of do you prefer NA power or boosted. I prefer NA (less heat, less weight, better balance) but I know it's not necessarily the most cost effective power per dollar wise lol.... now keep in mind some of these heads cam cars are running 9s, so underpowered relatively speaking but stilli getting it fast.... if you're chasing massive 800+ hp then boost the mustang.

gmcvt 05-20-2020 04:10 PM

I was faced with a similar dilemma a couple of years back. I chose at the time to go with an 18 5.0 A10. I really liked many things about it and my intention was to boost. It ran strong N/A with just an e85 Lund tune and some minor bolt ons. Unfortunately, I ran into some major mechanical issues and ended up trading out of it.

I traded it for my 19 SS A10. It seems very easy to get caught up in the horsepower wars and for drag racing, I totally get it. A boosted coyote is a rocket and there is no doubt it holds the initial upper hand. But I will say this, and this isn't reflected in the dyno numbers, the Camaro is simply an overall better driving experience. The precision of the steering and excellent handling (and I just have an SS not a 1lE) is just light years ahead of the Mustang. The overall feel and balance of the car is alive, whereas the Mustang just feels a bit more numb and disconnected. (i'm not talking about the GT350 or GT500). You can only go so fast on public roads and realisticly, we cant use the power they come with stock legally. Lots of hp (as you know) is nice but if its more of a 1 trick pony, at some point, it leaves you longing for more.

Also, the low end torque of the LT1 should be considered. It makes those mundane drives even more enjoyable. Boost is a blast but its simply 1 element. In many ways I loved my Mustang but to simply get in and drive them, the Camaro is hands down much more fun in every circumstance, not just a straight line. Camaro's strengths are its balance and advantage when it comes to building N/A horsepower. Give them a thorough test drive and see for yourself. :) Good luck!!

John_B 05-20-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 (Post 10794265)
True, I guess then it's really a question of do you prefer NA power or boosted. I prefer NA (less heat, less weight, better balance) but I know it's not necessarily the most cost effective power per dollar wise lol.... now keep in mind some of these heads cam cars are running 9s, so underpowered relatively speaking but stilli getting it fast.... if you're chasing massive 800+ hp then boost the mustang.

I definitely like all the benefits of N/A. I think I’m getting stuck on the Higher horsepower number = more fun. True to a point, but not everything.

Realistically i have never been to a track with any of my cars, i haven’t actually went to Mexico in over a year because all i do is work. I should get the car with nicer interior and better sound (Camaro) to enjoy on nice days and leave it at that. Decisions decisions...

John_B 05-20-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcvt (Post 10794275)
I was faced with a similar dilemma a couple of years back. I chose at the time to go with an 18 5.0 A10. I really liked many things about it and my intention was to boost. It ran strong N/A with just an e85 Lund tune and some minor bolt ons. Unfortunately, I ran into some major mechanical issues and ended up trading out of it.

I traded it for my 19 SS A10. It seems very easy to get caught up in the horsepower wars and for drag racing, I totally get it. A boosted coyote is a rocket and there is no doubt it holds the initial upper hand. But I will say this, and this isn't reflected in the dyno numbers, the Camaro is simply an overall better driving experience. The precision of the steering and excellent handling (and I just have an SS not a 1lE) is just light years ahead of the Mustang. The overall feel and balance of the car is alive, whereas the Mustang just feels a bit more numb and disconnected. (i'm not taking about the GT350 or 500). You can only go so fast on public roads and realisticly, we cant use the power they come with stock legally. Lots of hp (as you know) is nice but if its more of a 1 trick pony, at some point, it leaves you longing for more.

Also, the low end torque of the LT1 should be considered. It makes those mundane drives even more enjoyable. Boost is a blast but its simply 1 element. In many ways I loved my Mustang but to simply get in and drive them, the Camaro is hands down much more fun in every circumstance, not just a straight line. Camaro's strengths are its balance and advantage when it comes to building N/A horsepower. Give them a thorough test drive and see for yourself. :) Good luck!!

Very reasonable advice/outlook, thank you. Basically what i just responded to the person above with, I’m getting caught in the numbers but for what im actually going to use the car for, i don’t think that should be a priority. Its just hard to ignore lol

I have to go drive a Camaro and see how i like it. Plus it would be a new project, I’ve done a coyote, i just did the LS with the vette. Now try a new LT1 and a Camaro. I wish it could hold boost and all my problems would be solved.

Redlinez 05-20-2020 07:22 PM

I owned (or made payments on) a 2014 Mustang GT track pack, a 2015 Mustang GT performance pack, and a 2017 Camaro SS 6M. I recently traded my 2017 Camaro SS. I was considering a leftover 2019 Mustang GT performance pack 2. They don't come with Recaros, the MT82 is garbage, and those tires make that thing a handful for daily driving. I decided on a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE and haven't looked back. The chassis on these cars just blows away the S550, not to mention the TR6060 manual trans.

John_B 05-20-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10794388)
I owned (or made payments on) a 2014 Mustang GT track pack, a 2015 Mustang GT performance pack, and a 2017 Camaro SS 6M. I recently traded my 2017 Camaro SS. I was considering a leftover 2019 Mustang GT performance pack 2. They don't come with Recaros, the MT82 is garbage, and those tires make that thing a handful for daily driving. I decided on a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE and haven't looked back. The chassis on these cars just blows away the S550, not to mention the TR6060 manual trans.

You can add Recaros to the performance pack 2? Unless you just mean they don’t come with them standard, which makes zero sense to me. Performance package but no performance seats. I agree with everything else you said, better interior, better transmission, better chassis and i always have to mention how much better the Camaro sounds compared to the coyote. Stock for stock, the SS 1LE is by far a better value to me. Depending on how far past stock you go and what you use the car for is the only time it becomes a question of which car to get.

RageWorx 05-20-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10794282)
Very reasonable advice/outlook, thank you. Basically what i just responded to the person above with, I’m getting caught in the numbers but for what im actually going to use the car for, i don’t think that should be a priority. Its just hard to ignore lol

I have to go drive a Camaro and see how i like it. Plus it would be a new project, I’ve done a coyote, i just did the LS with the vette. Now try a new LT1 and a Camaro. I wish it could hold boost and all my problems would be solved.

The LT1 can't hold any boost? News to me LOL

Somehow mines been great though boosted since 2017 so I'll consider myself lucky I guess :smoking:

Honestly from my own experience at the drag strip for similar mods I really never had any Boosted Coyote envy at all (1st and 2nd gen , that 3rd gen whoa now they make power but have issues unfortunately). I'm not saying they weren't some really fast ones cause umm yeah there really are ...but for the most part many of them just don't run like the Youtube hero cars everyone thinks is the automatic default times every boosted Coyote runs. Key word here real world as watching too many Youtube videos rots your brain and alters your perception of others reality just enough to make it painful haha. Getting caught up in numbers is a great way to turn something fun into a pain in the ASS.

Also at the end of the day I drag race yes but I also use my SS for other performance driving events and in regards to vehicle handling and chassis dynamics the S550 chassis cars are just not on the same level as the Alpha 6 chassis and its immediately apparent after driving both in anything but a strait line.

I didn't want a one trick pony regardless of how great at the one trick it was .... but I did consider it. Plus I have an 03 Cobra already so I'm good on the stangs for now.

I will admit though sometimes I watch videos of the H/C NA Pray 6th gens and it makes me want to build another non boosted 6th gen ... like you said the Sound and those Pray cars just flat out Perform no doubt.

-Jon

John_B 05-20-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageWorx (Post 10794401)
The LT1 can't hold any boost? News to me LOL

Somehow mines been great though boosted since 2017 so I'll consider myself lucky I guess :smoking:

Honestly from my own experience at the drag strip for similar mods I really never had any Boosted Coyote envy at all (1st and 2nd gen , that 3rd gen whoa now they make power but have issues unfortunately). I'm not saying they weren't some really fast ones cause umm yeah there really are ...but for the most part many of them just don't run like the Youtube hero cars everyone thinks is the automatic default times every boosted Coyote runs. Key word here real world as watching too many Youtube videos rots your brain and alters your perception of others reality just enough to make it painful haha. Getting caught up in numbers is a great way to turn something fun into a pain in the ASS.

Also at the end of the day I drag race yes but I also use my SS for other performance driving events and in regards to vehicle handling and chassis dynamics the S550 chassis cars are just not on the same level as the Alpha 6 chassis and its immediately apparent after driving both in anything but a strait line.

I didn't want a one trick pony regardless of how great at the one trick it was .... but I did consider it. Plus I have an 03 Cobra already so I'm good on the stangs for now.

I will admit though sometimes I watch videos of the H/C Pray 6th gens and it makes me want to build another 6th gen ... like you said the Sound and those Pray cars just flat out Perform no doubt.

-Jon

LT1s not holding boost was an over simplification and also in comparison to the coyote lol.

H/C 6th gen seems to be the route I’m leaning towards for all the reasons mentioned, just a much nicer car the more and more i look into it. Also i can go little by little. I’ll probably have headers on within a week of buying it lol.

RageWorx 05-20-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10794420)
LT1s not holding boost was an over simplification and also in comparison to the coyote lol.

H/C 6th gen seems to be the route I’m leaning towards for all the reasons mentioned, just a much nicer car the more and more i look into it. Also i can go little by little. I’ll probably have headers on within a week of buying it lol.

I figured that's what you meant just having some fun .... sounds like a great plan can't wait to see what you do with it :w00t:

-Jon

John_B 05-20-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageWorx (Post 10794428)
I figured that's what you meant just having some fun .... sounds like a great plan can't wait to see what you do with it :w00t:

-Jon

If you want to help out and buy my C5Z, I’ll get started right away! Haha had a bunch of interest right after posting (2 weeks ago) seemed to of died down. Not a good time to sell, and a very small target market with my car. Most guys want stock vettes.

RobbyBeefcake87 05-21-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_B (Post 10794395)
You can add Recaros to the performance pack 2? Unless you just mean they don’t come with them standard, which makes zero sense to me. Performance package but no performance seats. I agree with everything else you said, better interior, better transmission, better chassis and i always have to mention how much better the Camaro sounds compared to the coyote. Stock for stock, the SS 1LE is by far a better value to me. Depending on how far past stock you go and what you use the car for is the only time it becomes a question of which car to get.

One thing people never mention is if that if talking manual vs manual, sure you have to build the lt1 to handle high boost but you also have to swap or build that mt82 to be worth a shit. The tr6060 on the camaro is plenty strong out of the gate, and the 1les do have some upgraded drivetrain parts such as the 9.9 inch zl1 rear end and beefier half shafts that probably don't need to be touched at any reasonable power level.

Not too mention, even though the mustang handles boost better its not like its going to live at over 900. Eventually it'll need to be built too past a certain power level, albeit cheaper.

OP is considering an auto GT so I guess this is irrelevant lol