CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=294)
-   -   S. Macias' Midnight 2016 Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575560)

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:17 PM

S. Macias' Midnight 2016 Camaro

3 Attachment(s)
I decided this morning to create a build thread of everything I've done to the ride in the last year. Thankfully I had plenty of photos to show the progress during that time.

The first two photos are the same day as I bought her. The third photos is after the front windows were tinted and the car washed.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:21 PM

12 Attachment(s)
The next thing I did was add a carbon fiber set. It looks better than it did with the cheap looking shiny grey plastic.

I added extended paddle shifters, changed the brake/gas pedal, got a striker cover and added a red push start.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Decided to customize the knee pads.

For the knee pads, I wrapped them in foam followed by black vinyl. Definitively a better feel while driving.

I added a net and first aid kit to the trunk, and also added visor covers.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:27 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Next came the tail lights. I couldn't stand the red and knew I wanted an all black theme like my old Cobalt SS Supercharged (RIP). I purchased a set of gray tail lights and a black third brake light.

I smoked the side lights and the rear reflectors with about three coats of VHT. They still reflect but blend better with the body.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:28 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Added an SS spoiler and ZL1 side skirts.

Debadged the trunk.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:31 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Over time, the rear diffuser was fading to that ugly gray color. I decided it was time to paint it black to match the body. Overall, I'm happy with my $40 DIY results.

Last image is before and after.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Added a yellow tow hook to match the black and yellow CA legacy plates and a splitter.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Changed the upper and lower grille.

My neighbors must love me...

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:37 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Wanted to change the rims. Ended up buying a set of ZL1 replicas. Rim size was 20x9.5. Went with a 275/35R20 tire all around (I like to be able to rotate my tires). Was told I couldn't go larger on the front without spacers. Also got all-season tires since this is my daily driver. I had General on my Mercedes and for the price and performance it works for me.

Before and after further down.

Got the black ColorLugs to match.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Polished up.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With the summer months ahead I wanted to get my windshield tinted. Was able to get exactly the length I wanted. If I had gone any further down it would definitely obstruct my view.

oklahomaguy 05-17-2020 08:17 PM

OP, I like all of your mods. Tastefully done without overkill. Good job.

S.Macias 05-17-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oklahomaguy (Post 10792046)
OP, I like all of your mods. Tastefully done without overkill. Good job.

Thanks. It's my daily driver and I didn't want to go overboard. Just enough to make it unique and fun.

S.Macias 05-23-2020 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a yellow pull handle to close the trunk. Simple, and it keeps me from touching the paint.

HCI2000SS 05-23-2020 08:00 PM

Looks good. Except for one two things I really like it. Is this a V6 or turbo 4?

S.Macias 05-24-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10796372)
Looks good. Except for one two things I really like it. Is this a V6 or turbo 4?

Thanks. It's a V6. I commute about 75 miles each day for work and the better gas mileage really helps.

Dagstar 05-25-2020 05:38 AM

Where'd you get that pull handle for the trunk? That's a great idea, and the net. I just put in a Husky liner and things really like to slide back there now.

The front lip really changes the look of the car. I love mine...except when I'm scraping the hell out of it.

S.Macias 05-25-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagstar (Post 10797140)
Where'd you get that pull handle for the trunk? That's a great idea, and the net. I just put in a Husky liner and things really like to slide back there now.

The front lip really changes the look of the car. I love mine...except when I'm scraping the hell out of it.

Thanks for the comment. The trunk pull handle I ordered off of eBay. Item is found here. If that link doesn't work or is expired, here is the seller.

The net comes in handy. I went to AutoZone and got a basic cargo net like the one here. Because of the width of our trunks, I had to cut the center of the net out and reattach with black zip ties. I'm sure there are other ways to do it or find one that fits, but I've had it for a year now and it still holds up just fine.

As for the front lip, I hate it when it scrapes. I try and take most my curbs going sideways to prevent it from scraping. Thankfully it's black and matches the touch up paint I have.

S.Macias 05-31-2020 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Key case and painted Chevy logo

S.Macias 06-08-2020 08:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Added Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Exhaust. Very satisfied with the sound. Definitely a win.

S.Macias 07-12-2020 02:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stopped by the old job and took some photos. Grateful to have worked at Laguna Seca.

S.Macias 08-07-2020 10:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Changed the side marker lights to the LED strip. Smoked them a bit to blend into the body. I can say I'm a fan.

S.Macias 08-19-2020 09:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tinted the headlights and DRL with BigWormGraphix's product.

HCI2000SS 08-19-2020 09:23 PM

Car is looking good! How are you liking that Flowmaster axle back? I bought mine a few months ago, and love it. Can't imagine the Borla sounding much better to be honest

S.Macias 08-20-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10852306)
Car is looking good! How are you liking that Flowmaster axle back? I bought mine a few months ago, and love it. Can't imagine the Borla sounding much better to be honest

I'm loving it. Makes the car sound as it should. Like you said, I doubt Borla would sound much different.

S.Macias 09-10-2020 10:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed HID headlights with a kit from Kensun. Went with the 55W 6000K.

Also ordered new front AND rear pads and rotors since the dealer wanted to charge me $730 just to do the front (parts $480, labor $250). Since this is my daily driver and not tracked the Power Stop Z26s' should do just fine.

S.Macias 09-14-2020 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had the tires rotated last week and was told the lugs were starting to strip. Ordered some McGard's which should do the trick. Plan to swap once I change the rotors and brakes.

S.Macias 09-25-2020 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took some photos

SCANMAN 09-25-2020 01:22 PM

Looks great! I have the same car 2018. Have not done the front plastic but did do the defusser in black, IKON knock off, and added quad tip exhaust in black. (not NPP) Axel back system. Please keep the post going..

S.Macias 09-25-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCANMAN (Post 10874418)
Looks great! I have the same car 2018. Have not done the front plastic but did do the defusser in black, IKON knock off, and added quad tip exhaust in black. (not NPP) Axel back system. Please keep the post going..

Thanks. I plan to keep it going each time I mod the car.

S.Macias 10-16-2020 12:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed the Z26 pads and rotors. I don't track the car so these should do fine as a daily driver. Also went ahead and painted the calipers yellow-goldish.

Personally, I think it adds a nice touch and isn't overbearing at all.

silverscreamo 10-19-2020 01:09 PM

Love what you've done here and definitely appreciate the DIY approach. It's a lot like what I have planned for my own DD.

S.Macias 10-19-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverscreamo (Post 10887732)
Love what you've done here and definitely appreciate the DIY approach. It's a lot like what I have planned for my own DD.

It's a fun car to drive. I figure since I spend an hour to an hour and a half driving each day, might as well make it how I want it.

S.Macias 11-13-2020 12:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Wanted a sleeker look, so swapped the gold tow hook for a black one. Got rid of the yellow MontereyCountyCamaros.com stickers and replaced with matte black Instagram ones. Added blue LED footwell lighting thanks to BigWormGraphixs. Easy install.

Everything gives the car a completely different look.

S.Macias 11-16-2020 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boredom is getting the best of me. Wrapped the mirror covers in some carbon fiber wrap I had laying around.

S.Macias 11-17-2020 08:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Someone asked me how easy it was to install the BigWormGraphix's LED interior lighting.

It was a fairly straight forward install. It took me about 15 minutes. BigWormGraphix provides everything needed for the install.

First, you use their t-clamps to connect to the wire clusters underneath the steering wheel. If you look underneath the steering wheel, between the footrest and the brake and look up, you'll see the wire clusters I'm referencing.

The install is easiest if you disconnect the clusters which is done by pressing your thumb against the tab and pull down. It also makes it easier if you remove some of the tape around the wires to expose more of the wire being clamped, allowing it to bow out a bit more.

Once the clamps are on, feed the longer wire cord through the center console. The gap is found right where the carpet dips down. I would say its maybe three inches where the kneepad ends. Just push it straight forward and pull out the other side.

At this point, plug in the wires to the clamps. They should turn on as long as the dome light is on. If the dome light is off, open and close the door or turn the knob to turn the dome light on.

To mount, find a solid plastic piece in front of the foot/leg ac vents. You'll want to mount to a solid piece, not one that has the grooved feel where you think these would go. Once you know where you want to mount, clean with alcohol, apply the adhesion promotor and peel the tape on the back of the lights and stick.

I used only one of the zipties provided, and used that to connect the wire to the wire you'll feel it you stick your finger near the gap where you fed the wire through. I can say it wasn't needed but used it just to give me a piece of mind.

DorsoDuroJohn 11-18-2020 02:30 PM

This is excellent, thank you!

DorsoDuroJohn 11-18-2020 02:37 PM

S. Macias, what front splitter did you install?

S.Macias 11-18-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn (Post 10904546)
S. Macias, what front splitter did you install?

It's the ZL1 Style gloss black splitter. You can order them from a variety of places, but I found Ebay is the cheapest for about $140.

People can say what they want, but I have had no issues with mine for over a year and it contours the front end just fine. I used Goop instead of the VHB tape.

I got my car for next to nothing (sales associated wrote down a number beginning with a 1 instead of a 2 by mistake; this was also my third car in the last three months and got a discount from that too), so I don't feel the need to spend big $$$ to have my car looking how I want since I didn't pay big $$$ for it.

S.Macias 12-01-2020 11:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Boredom is still getting to me. Blacked out that ugly gray plastic around the DRL. Gives the front end a more aggressive look.