Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   FAQ Camaro Winter Tires - Wheel/Tire Thread 2010 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106945)

Rudy@Tirerack 09-21-2010 09:25 AM

FAQ Camaro Winter Tires - Wheel/Tire Thread 2017-2018 *

So you want to use your car in the winter but it has summer tires, lots of horspower and rear wheel drive. What to do? The Tire Rack has options to fit all different 10/11 Camaro options. In this thread I will do my best to answer questions regarding anything winter.

Why do winter tires work so much better in the snow? A winter tire needs 3 things to work well in snow/ice. First is tread depth. Snow tires come with more tread depth than summer tires. Second is tread design. Most tires come with a directional style tread that evacuates slush and snow. Also if you look at the tread blocks of a snow tire there is much more siping to claw and bite the snow and ice. Third is the tread compound. A snow tire has a cold weather compound that stays flexible in very cold weather. A summer and/or all season tire become hard and unable to grip.http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...read_depth.jpg
The First picture shows a new tire at 11/32nds of tread depth the 2nd picture show a tire approaching the winter tread bar at 6/32nds of tread depth and the last picture shows a tire at 2/32nds which is worn out for dry use. Tread depth why too little is never enough.

But do I need winter tires. The answer is yes. Click here to find out why.

My car is rear wheel drive so can I use just do two rear snow tires. Bad idea while its true the rear tires will get you moving how are you going to stop or steer? Four winter tires the only way to go.

Winter Tire FAQS

Start your winter tire search here.

Why consider a wheel and tire package? Its expensive to have winter tires mounted/and unmounted twice a year. With a package its easy to do the switch over yourself. Remember all of our packages come with the mounting hardware and are mounted & Hunter Road Force balanced for free.

Find wheel and tire packages for your car here.

I have had lots of questions regarding the 10/11 SS models. As long as you do not have the Roller skate brake pads I have 18 inch wheels that will fit. You will need to call me on these as we do not list them on the website. Keep in mind if you ever change to the roller skate pad these wheels will no longer work. Also if you have the factory wheels which are 9 inches wide in the rear the 245/45R20 Blizzak LM 25 works great front and rear for winter.

I live in the snow belt and have lots of knowledge with the snow tires we sell so I can help you find what will best fit your needs.

Feel free to contact me with questions. I am here to help. Everyone please feel free to add input to this thread!!:thumbup:

Mike529 09-21-2010 01:19 PM

Rudy,
Thanks for the great information!
I've heard that taller sidewall tires are better for winter handling, so would you recommend going with the 17" package for an LT?
Thanks,
Mike

Rudy@Tirerack 09-21-2010 01:23 PM

^ Absolutely. Downsize when possible is the better option and it will help to protect your wheels from ugly potholes. Check out my preferred 17 inch winter packge for your car on my website.

bowtie_beauties 09-21-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack (Post 2352745)
I have had lots of questions regarding the 10/11 SS models. As long as you do not have the Roller skate brake pads I have 18 inch wheels that will fit. You will need to call me on these as we do not list them on the website. Keep in mind if you ever change to the roller skate pad these wheels will no longer work.

Thanks for this. What are "roller skate brake pads"? I'm getting a 2011 very soon (on order) and does it come with "roller skate pads" from the factory?

Rudy@Tirerack 09-21-2010 03:03 PM

^Lots of information in this thread. I would guess your car will have them as this is the new design to elimate pad noise.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58624

skuttduck 09-21-2010 03:54 PM

Rudy,
just curious, are the pirelli scorpion ice and snow's no longer recommended as a 20" tire for the camaro? They were last year when I did my research, and I got them from a local tire shop. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I found that if I manually select 245/45/R20 and 275/40/R20 I can get them.

Here's the post where number 3 suggested them. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51061

Rudy@Tirerack 09-21-2010 04:03 PM

^They are still highly recommended for the camaro. I have sold several sets to start the season. How do you like yours?

skuttduck 09-21-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack (Post 2354195)
^They are still highly recommended for the camaro. I have sold several sets to start the season. How do you like yours?

I can't say enough good things about the Pirelli scorpion ice and snow tires.
They feel a lot like the summer only tires, they have only a bit more road noise. The Camaro with the Pirelli scorpion Ice and snows performs far better than my 2000 Toyota Camry with Michelin XS One all season tires.

I had driven it on 6 inches of unplowed snow, and I would have gotten stuck in the camry. The camaro just plowed through it. I experimented in the neighborhood, and I had to turn off traction control and use the emergency brake to get it to slide.

I was more curious why nothing comes up in the OEM 20" size, when you have the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and snow tires in stock.

Cyber/Orange10 09-21-2010 11:13 PM

Yes, I was too. I ordered 245/45R20's all around and they will fit just fine (thanks Luke). But yes if you have the roller skates you have to watch the wheel fit, best to get take offs and use them.

SRFnSNO 09-22-2010 06:48 AM

I have the P-Scorpions in 19" with the 19" Type 16 Rims Tire Rack had on clearance last year.
Car went great in the snow last Winter.

Rudy@Tirerack 09-22-2010 07:12 AM

^Thanks to all who have ordered so far!!

Don57 09-22-2010 09:09 AM

Excellent information!

I used to use all-seasons with all my previous cars until a few years back when I switched to using two sets of seasonal tires on my Pontiac Sunfire GT (one for winter and one for summer). Going from all-seasons to winter tires made a huge difference -- like night and day.

I live in "Winterpeg", and I've learned how important a set of tires dedicated to driving in winter are. Never again will I use all-seasons in winter. And after researching winter tire & rim packages both online and off, Tire Rack had the absolute best deal for my new Camaro! (I hate to sound like a commercial, but it's true)

Rudy@Tirerack 09-22-2010 10:07 AM

^Excellent we ship to Canada all the time. Its good to hear you saved a lot of money shopping with us.

Also one other thing I did not mention, but we install TPMS sensors for free in our packages if you purchase them from us.

cab2g 09-22-2010 10:19 AM

In your opinion, which tire is better for deep snow/slush? The Blizzak or Scorpion. I plan on mounting one of these two on my stock 20" wheels next month

67 Convertible 09-22-2010 10:31 AM

Rudy:
What is the average life expectancy on a set of Scorpions or Blizzaks? I had 4 new Blizzaks on my wifes car a few years ago. After 7,000 miles (less than 2 seasons, they were swapped out in spring and fall) the 4 were shot....just normal easy driving with the car in alignment.

My 2010 Camaro is a DD, and I put about 16k a year on it. In the above scenerio, I won't get even one full winter season out of the winter tires. I assume the more aggressive winter tire tread heats up more and wears out quicker? Still, if I can only get 7k-8k out of a set of winter tires, it makes it almost unaffordable even with your great prices.

Don57 09-22-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 2357160)
Rudy:
After 7,000 miles (less than 2 seasons...
if I can only get 7k-8k out of a set...

You're posting in both miles and kilometers. :) Which is it?

67 Convertible 09-22-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don57 (Post 2357225)
You're posting in both miles and kilometers. :) Which is it?

7k = 7 thousand
8k = 8 thousand
k=thousand.....k is abreviation for thousand not kilometer
I believe the abbreviation for kilometer is KM
Both postings are in miles.

Don57 09-22-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 2357235)
7k = 7 thousand
8k = 8 thousand
k=thousand.....k is abreviation for thousand not kilometer
I believe the abbreviation for kilometer is KM
Both postings are in miles.

:facepalm:

I'm a little stupid this morning.

ndcamaro 09-22-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cab2g (Post 2357104)
In your opinion, which tire is better for deep snow/slush? The Blizzak or Scorpion. I plan on mounting one of these two on my stock 20" wheels next month

I am planning to purchase the Blizzak or Scorpions as well (Blizzak LM-60 245 45 20) My main question is will these tires fit the wider wheels in the rear? Right now the summer tires are 275 40 20. My plan is to mount the winter tires on the stock rims for the winter and then pick up new wheels in the spring for my Pzero summers.

Just nervous about putting the narrower tire in the rear on the stock rims.

Rudy@Tirerack 09-22-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 2357160)
Rudy:
What is the average life expectancy on a set of Scorpions or Blizzaks? I had 4 new Blizzaks on my wifes car a few years ago. After 7,000 miles (less than 2 seasons, they were swapped out in spring and fall) the 4 were shot....just normal easy driving with the car in alignment.

My 2010 Camaro is a DD, and I put about 16k a year on it. In the above scenerio, I won't get even one full winter season out of the winter tires. I assume the more aggressive winter tire tread heats up more and wears out quicker? Still, if I can only get 7k-8k out of a set of winter tires, it makes it almost unaffordable even with your great prices.

I would try the Pirelli as they are know for better tread life. 7k-8k seems very low. I am not sure what happened there. You should get 30k or maybe more with the Pirellis.

Rudy@Tirerack 09-22-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndcamaro (Post 2357337)
I am planning to purchase the Blizzak or Scorpions as well (Blizzak LM-60 245 45 20) My main question is will these tires fit the wider wheels in the rear? Right now the summer tires are 275 40 20. My plan is to mount the winter tires on the stock rims for the winter and then pick up new wheels in the spring for my Pzero summers.

Just nervous about putting the narrower tire in the rear on the stock rims.

Yest the 245/45R20 will fti without issue. Nothing to be nervous about. ;) Actually by replacing the wider rear tire it will help improve snow performance.

Rudy@Tirerack 09-22-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cab2g (Post 2357104)

I would do the Sciorpion ICE and Snow!

myold88 09-23-2010 06:16 AM

Rudy, I plan to put Continental Extreme Contacts DWS on my SS this fall. They were recomended here on camaro5 and by a local tire dealer. I don't use my car in the snow, but found it almost undrivable last winter below 40 degrees. How do these compare to other brands on the Camaro SS ?

Rudy@Tirerack 09-23-2010 07:21 AM

^ The Conti Extreme Contact DWS is one of the better all season tires. You will loose some dry traction in the summer months but they should work fine down to about 20 degrees. So yeah 30-40 degrees you should have much better driveability for sure.

fcu678 09-23-2010 08:37 AM

Rudy,

I'm not trying to jack the thread but do you have a rim and tire combo to use as a spare on an SS and fit in the spare tire location in the trunk?? Mine is an early build with the weights on the calipers.
Thanks,
Craig

Chaotic73 09-23-2010 08:54 AM

I'm having Yokohama Parada Spec-X installed on mine this weekend. Got a good price $775 installed 245/45/20 fronts & 275/40/20 rears.

Rudy@Tirerack 09-23-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcu678 (Post 2360972)
Rudy,

I'm not trying to jack the thread but do you have a rim and tire combo to use as a spare on an SS and fit in the spare tire location in the trunk?? Mine is an early build with the weights on the calipers.
Thanks,
Craig

We should be able to figure something out. Give me a call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaotic84 (Post 2361023)
I'm having Yokohama Parada Spec-X installed on mine this weekend. Got a good price $775 installed 245/45/20 fronts & 275/40/20 rears.

Thank you very much.

Cyber/Orange10 09-23-2010 05:29 PM

Hey Rudy, Let us all know about the spare tire, alot would be interested.....

picking up my Scorpion Ice and Snows tomorrow, ready for winter!

mkeeler 09-26-2010 02:48 PM

Great thread. Thanks Rudy. Which is the best setup for stock rims (I have a spare set)? 4 Pirelli Scorps 245/45's, 4 Blizzak LM-25 245/50's, or 4 LM-60 245/45's? In regards to snow traction, performance and tire life. Btw, I will be buying tires from you. You have great prices.

cab2g 09-26-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber/Orange10 (Post 2363001)

:word:

Toasty 09-27-2010 12:02 AM

I am glad I found this thread!

Rudy-- I am going to be ordering 18" snows in the next few days, so your input is GREATLY appreciated. I am torn between a few options- I know the narrower tire the better, so I was looking at the 225/60R18's in either the Pirelli 210 SottoZero (why does the site say 2006 production?) or the Goodyear Ultragrip GW3's --- I'm leaning towards the Pirelli's. what do you think? ...the other option, though wider, is the Pirelli Ice and Snow in the stock 245/55R18... would that be a better choice?

Please help!

ndcamaro 09-27-2010 10:20 AM

tire storage

when I mount my new blizzaks on my current stock rims I will then store my PZeros for the winter. Is there a particular way I need to store my summer tires during the winter? Do I need to wrap them or stack them a certain way?

Thanks

skuttduck 09-27-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndcamaro (Post 2375647)
when I mount my new blizzaks on my current stock rims I will then store my PZeros for the winter. Is there a particular way I need to store my summer tires during the winter? Do I need to wrap them or stack them a certain way?

Thanks

This might help. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=37

Rudy@Tirerack 09-27-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber/Orange10 (Post 2363001)

picking up my Scorpion Ice and Snows tomorrow, ready for winter!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cab2g (Post 2373629)
:word:

I will need to speak with each person on this one as I need to qualify what breaks ect. I will see what I can come up with.

Rudy@Tirerack 09-27-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkeeler (Post 2373041)
Great thread. Thanks Rudy. Which is the best setup for stock rims (I have a spare set)? 4 Pirelli Scorps 245/45's, 4 Blizzak LM-25 245/50's, or 4 LM-60 245/45's? In regards to snow traction, performance and tire life. Btw, I will be buying tires from you. You have great prices.

My car, my money I am going to go with the Scoripions in this case.:thumbsup:

Rudy@Tirerack 09-27-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty (Post 2374824)
I am glad I found this thread!

Rudy-- I am going to be ordering 18" snows in the next few days, so your input is GREATLY appreciated. I am torn between a few options- I know the narrower tire the better, so I was looking at the 225/60R18's in either the Pirelli 210 SottoZero (why does the site say 2006 production?) or the Goodyear Ultragrip GW3's --- I'm leaning towards the Pirelli's. what do you think? ...the other option, though wider, is the Pirelli Ice and Snow in the stock 245/55R18... would that be a better choice?

Please help!

The Pirellis are older built in 06. I would do the GW3's if you are getting just tires. If your going for a wheel tire package go 17's

Rudy@Tirerack 09-27-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndcamaro (Post 2375647)

Thanks

If you have a basement thats tempature controlled this is best. Just wrap each tire in a black plastic garbage bag and put one on top of each other.

jbp-ohio 09-27-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack (Post 2353540)
^ Absolutely. Downsize when possible is the better option and it will help to protect your wheels from ugly potholes. Check out my preferred 17 inch winter packge for your car on my website.

I could not find any 17'' rims??? Cheaper = better.... (Been looking at stock 18'' Heritage rims on ebay, think I can do under $300/shipped)

jbp-ohio 09-27-2010 06:52 PM

Never mind, I found them....... :facepalm: