CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   2020 GT500 Versus ZL1 Versus C8 Versus Hellcat (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544518)

Martinjlm 04-23-2020 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 10773452)
Wow! Thanks again Jim, for your insight! :bow:

So the LT7 will have a low peak HP RPM number, common in turbo applications. I'm thinking 6000. For the LT6 I was thinking more like 600/450, so your numbers suggest a lower peak HP RPM number than I though too. 8000 rather than 8,500? 500 lbft is a great number for 5.5L.

Actually, it would be simpler for me to "show you my work" as they say in high school. I often use an online HP calculator and then based on what I know and what I assume, I plug and crank. These are my actual workups for LT6 and LT7 with some annotation. I'll fine tune them as I learn more details. For example, I assumed the engine square and backed into a 5.5L displacement. If it comes in under square or over square I'll have to tweak the bore and stroke to get the same displacement and see where that sends my hp estimates.

whiteboyblues2001 04-23-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-99SS (Post 10773481)
Agreed - somewhat. If the Z06 is an NA track weapon, I'm ok with high RPM as long as every review and old waxxer that buys one doesn't complain about it...they should have just bought a regular Stingray or wait for the ZR1/Zora.

As always - Jim with the insider edge to clarify the funky info - thanks!

Agreed completely. High RPM screamer is great for road course track car applications, and that has been part of Z06 history. But, my personal preference is a more balanced powerband engine. I totally geek out on the thought of a 5.5L N/A FPC Z06, but if I were in the market for something similar, I would probably wait for the ZR1 version. Or perhaps the Grand Sport, depending on how that turns out...

NW-99SS 04-23-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 10773486)
Agreed completely. High RPM screamer is great for road course track car applications, and that has been part of Z06 history. But, my personal preference is a more balanced powerband engine. I totally geek out on the thought of a 5.5L N/A FPC Z06, but if I were in the market for something similar, I would probably wait for the ZR1 version. Or perhaps the Grand Sport, depending on how that turns out...

Same - I actually want to put a H/C LS7 and TR6060 in my Grand Sport eventually. Love the LS7 RPM range AND torque. Just a great NA engine once the valve guides are addressed.

shaffe 04-23-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 10773365)
Meanwhile, over at Cadillac....

SO, while we are rightfully ooohing and aaaahing over the new C8 release, and high-fiving each other over the Z06 rumors coming true, then there is Cadillac...

Cadillac had a great pair of cars in the CTS-V and ATS-V, but they also had a CTS VSport which wasn't as potent as the CTS-V, as you all probably already know. But now they are going to the CT4, CT5 and CT6. Okay. Then they released a CT6-V, with a Blackwing engine (4.2L V8 TT Hot-V config for 550 HP). So, the CT6-V version ended up with 100 less HP than the old CTS-V, which was disappointing. BUT, they were saying the new "V" is like the old "VSport", and there will be a more powerfull trim in the future perhaps with "Blackwing" in the name...

And, so now, they testing a new CT5 called the "CT5-V Blackwing", So does it have a new version of the Blackwing engine with more HP? NO. It's an LT4. Yes, you heard that right, the new CT5-V Blackwing, does not have a Blackwing engine, instead it has an LT4 that puts out the same 650 HP. Which is more HP than the Blackwing engine, but this is a trim level car named Blackwing.

Anyone confused yet?

You can get a "CT6-V" with a "Blackwing" engine, or you can get a "CT5-V Blackwing" without a "Blackwing" engine.

What a hot mess. Why does GM insist on naming conventions that defy any convention? Trying to figure out all the 1LT, LT1, 1LE, 2LT, etc. is harder than trying to figure out NSA's wifi password. Why does Cadillac insist on having it's own engines, then keep using the LT4? Why not share engines with Chevy, it's not like they aren't kick-a$$ engines that everyone would want in a luxury sedan/coupe.

https://www.motor1.com/news/410117/c...ckwing-650-hp/

Cadillac is a hot mess when it comes to its naming scheme

shaffe 04-23-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaqWhole (Post 10773026)
I have to agree with the sentiment that whatever Ford does, GM will do much better. I do not think the Z06 engine will suffer the same failures that the Voodoo did. Although it may have the powerband features that are characteristic to these engines, it will not be an utter failure. And GM will probably find some awesome way of countering these issues.

That is actually what I am most interested in seeing. FPC normally don't have that kind of displacement. Very curious to see how GM manages to tame it.

Lafourche1 04-23-2020 02:11 PM

Motor Trend or Car and Driver had a recent article on some one-off Ferrari. It was based on the 488 but more focused. My point is that the motor journalist mentions how the FPC 488 derived engine was about to shake the whole car apart at idle. I mention this as just an example of things about FPC engines that has to be addressed.

whiteboyblues2001 04-23-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-99SS (Post 10773619)
Same - I actually want to put a H/C LS7 and TR6060 in my Grand Sport eventually. Love the LS7 RPM range AND torque. Just a great NA engine once the valve guides are addressed.

So agreed! Owning an LS7 with the valve guide issue resolved is a bucket list item for me, and put a cam in it? Crap, now I gotta change my pants!

You know, the real compromise of the LT1 engine isn't whether it has OHV or DOHC as much as it's OHV and cold start emissions regs. The crate motor version of the LT1 (LT376/535) with a Chevy heads/intake/cam is putting out 535HP, which is more than the Voodoo, and you don't have to wind it to the moon to get some pull. One of my dreams it to pick up an SS1LE with a blown engine for cheap, striping it out for track duty, and putting this engine in it. But, I'd "settle" for a cammed LS7 anyday!

whiteboyblues2001 04-23-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 10773632)
That is actually what I am most interested in seeing. FPC normally don't have that kind of displacement. Very curious to see how GM manages to tame it.

Very curious, Shaffe. Very curious indeed! Sounds crazy on paper. Chevy better have something up their sleeve on this one...

whiteboyblues2001 04-23-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 10773707)
Motor Trend or Car and Driver had a recent article on some one-off Ferrari. It was based on the 488 but more focused. My point is that the motor journalist mentions how the FPC 488 derived engine was about to shake the whole car apart at idle. I mention this as just an example of things about FPC engines that has to be addressed.

Yes, second order vibrations have to be addressed at a certain displacement. This engine seems beyond that limit. We shall see how or even IF this is addressed if these rumors are true.

NW-99SS 04-23-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 10773709)
So agreed! Owning an LS7 with the valve guide issue resolved is a bucket list item for me, and put a cam in it? Crap, now I gotta change my pants!

You know, the real compromise of the LT1 engine isn't whether it has OHV or DOHC as much as it's OHV and cold start emissions regs. The crate motor version of the LT1 (LT376/535) with a Chevy heads/intake/cam is putting out 535HP, which is more than the Voodoo, and you don't have to wind it to the moon to get some pull. One of my dreams it to pick up an SS1LE with a blown engine for cheap, striping it out for track duty, and putting this engine in it. But, I'd "settle" for a cammed LS7 anyday!

Looks like we are on the same page in most everything on this topic :thumbup:

I actually have a set of C5R heads that I would love to put on a C5R block to build a 427 LS out of - that would be perfect for my GS :D

whiteboyblues2001 04-23-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-99SS (Post 10773726)
Looks like we are on the same page in most everything on this topic :thumbup:

I actually have a set of C5R heads that I would love to put on a C5R block to build a 427 LS out of - that would be perfect for my GS :D

That WOULD be sweet! Too bad you live so far, I'd help you build it.

NW-99SS 04-23-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 10773731)
That WOULD be sweet! Too bad you live so far, I'd help you build it.

I still need the block and rotating assembly - so we have time to make arrangements, lol! Going to be on the backburner until the world sorts itself out.

DaveC113 04-23-2020 03:14 PM

Driving a Z06 with the LS7 has a lot to do with the fact I own a SS 1LE right now. :)

NW-99SS 04-23-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC113 (Post 10773763)
Driving a Z06 with the LS7 has a lot to do with the fact I own a SS 1LE right now. :)

SS 1LE is my favorite pony car in the bang for your buck category. Such a capable car.

Love my friend's ZL1 1LE - but it's a lot of power now that he added the 2650, cam and some fuel to it.