CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z/28 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   2019 Z28, Reality?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502982)

BradfordCamaro 08-08-2017 02:04 PM

With a bit more power, less weight and some gears. It will be a terror on the strip and track.
Simple....and the GM accountants will like it
A 1LE on steroids and a diet

Bhobbs 08-08-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro (Post 9856617)
With a bit more power, less weight and some gears. It will be a terror on the strip and track.
Simple....and the GM accountants will like it
A 1LE on steroids and a diet

The problem is getting the power. It's not going to be given to the Camaro only. Unless a Corvette comes along with more power, there won't be an engine for the Z/28.

kingbambino22 08-09-2017 08:26 AM

Chevy needs to let me make the Z/28 lol. I can do it for under MSRP of a ZL1. They already have most of the parts on hand. Just saying Chevy...........

68fbjjz109 08-17-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbambino22 (Post 9857737)
Chevy needs to let me make the Z/28 lol. I can do it for under MSRP of a ZL1. They already have most of the parts on hand. Just saying Chevy...........

I am still hearing small DOHC V8 like more BMW than Coyote/Voodoo. So future parts bin maybe.

DRKS1D3 08-18-2017 05:45 AM

I just don't see it. Why create a Z/28 that will in turn, step on the ZL1 1LE's toes? Two high-horsepower, track-focused Camaros? There is no logical reason. You don't want to be competing against yourself.

GM found that out the hard way in the 90's and 00's. GM had so many models that were the same exact vehicle with either a Chevy badge (Cobalt), a Pontiac badge (G5), a Saturn badge (Ion), etc., etc., etc., slapped on the front of them. :frown:

Bhobbs 08-18-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68fbjjz109 (Post 9871103)
I am still hearing small DOHC V8 like more BMW than Coyote/Voodoo. So future parts bin maybe.

Just like people swore the C7 would get a 5.5 liter V8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 (Post 9871297)
I just don't see it. Why create a Z/28 that will in turn, step on the ZL1 1LE's toes? Two high-horsepower, track-focused Camaros? There is no logical reason. You don't want to be competing against yourself.

GM found that out the hard way in the 90's and 00's. GM had so many models that were the same exact vehicle with either a Chevy badge (Cobalt), a Pontiac badge (G5), a Saturn badge (Ion), etc., etc., etc., slapped on the front of them. :frown:

A Z/28 likely wouldn't outperform the ZL1 1LE. That bar is just set to high. It could offer things the ZL1 1LE doesn't, like carbon wheels, carbon brakes and active aero.

DRKS1D3 08-18-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9871523)
Just like people swore the C7 would get a 5.5 liter V8.

A Z/28 likely wouldn't outperform the ZL1 1LE. That bar is just set to high. It could offer things the ZL1 1LE doesn't, like carbon wheels, carbon brakes and active aero.

I fully understand that, but why create another car for the same exact purpose? You're competing against yourself. The Z/28 was created in 1967 to compete in road racing and the moniker has been loyal to its purpose ever since (some more than others). This year, GM has created and unleashed the ZL1 1LE as a curveball of sorts. A blistering track weapon that outduels the 5th Gen Z/28...and most other cars costing 2-3 times as much. I see no logic in GM creating another high-horsepower, track-focused Camaro. They already have the SS 1LE, the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE. :iono:

JoeCastigs94 08-18-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 (Post 9871297)

good point..

Camarolover85 08-18-2017 01:20 PM

The ZL1 is such a monster that the Z28 has an awful lot to overcome to be more impressive. I can't see Chevy not using the Z28 badge though, it's iconic to them. I guess they can make it the extra extra awesome track car. Who knows. Theres things they could do but if it isn't quite a bit faster who would buy it?

JoeCastigs94 08-18-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camarolover85 (Post 9871805)
The ZL1 is such a monster that the Z28 has an awful lot to overcome to be more impressive. I can't see Chevy not using the Z28 badge though, it's iconic to them. I guess they can make it the extra extra awesome track car. Who knows. Theres things they could do but if it isn't quite a bit faster who would buy it?

at this point it would just be a "i have a z28". How much more can they possibly do to a camaro that the zl1 1le doesnt have or cant do..

BradfordCamaro 08-18-2017 04:08 PM

See. Some of you inadvertently agree with me.
IF there is a Z/28 - It's Not going to be made to 'outshine' the ZL1 1LE on the track. That Beast is 5% short of a race car.

The Z/28 will be a street brawler - (ya,ya..no street racing..blah, blah, blah) Street car with the balls and tech to make it 1st around the track...1\LE on a protein diet and a few 'roids.
Uber cool, More Power, less weight....and some fancy bits. But made to Rule the streets after Dark.
Best around town - Best around the highways and bi-ways - Best on the track....unless an experienced driver has a ZL1 1LE

maraging 08-19-2017 01:08 PM

I dont see it. You make an an uber 1le ss and it steps on zl1 toes. Everything is so close at the top.

jessrayo 08-20-2017 04:20 PM

The Gen 5 Z/28 has set the bar that the Z/28 will be the fastest Camaro model around a race track. If the next Z/28 can't beat the ZL1 1LE around Milford it isn't going to happen. I'm looking for a bigger power N/A engine than the current LT1 and a serious weight loss to the tune of at least 250 pounds less than the current ZL1 1LE. Carbon brakes, rims and every other thing they can replace with carbon. I think it will have to rev to at least 7400 rpm to spread the powerband but that is not that hard to do with the right valvetrain on the current 6.2. The current ZL1 1LE is a beast but if you think team Camaro isn't already trying figure out how to build a faster car you are naïve. The only way to stay competitive is to try to continue to out do the best there is available... even if the best is from your own factory.

kingbambino22 08-20-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessrayo (Post 9874195)
The Gen 5 Z/28 has set the bar that the Z/28 will be the fastest Camaro model around a race track. If the next Z/28 can't beat the ZL1 1LE around Milford it isn't going to happen. I'm looking for a bigger power N/A engine than the current LT1 and a serious weight loss to the tune of at least 250 pounds less than the current ZL1 1LE. Carbon brakes, rims and every other thing they can replace with carbon. I think it will have to rev to at least 7400 rpm to spread the powerband but that is not that hard to do with the right valvetrain on the current 6.2. The current ZL1 1LE is a beast but if you think team Camaro isn't already trying figure out how to build a faster car you are naïve. The only way to stay competitive is to try to continue to out do the best there is available... even if the best is from your own factory.

Gen 6 Z/28 only has to outperform the Gen 5 Z/28. Chevy has the parts to do that right now minus fancy wheels. If Chevy took the LT4 out of the ZL1 1LE and put a LT1 into it the weight would be 3710lbs all things consider than same variant from SS 1LE to ZL1. If they added carbon wheels at a weight saving of 7lbs a corner it goes down to 3682lbs. With what I came up with that's still cheaper than a ZL1 MSRP. the Gen 6 Z/28 can be what the Grand Sport with ZO7 is to the C7 ZO6. If Chevy did actually track style seats then another 20lbs could be lost based on 10lbs savings each seat. That 3662lbs and still cheaper than a ZL1 MSRP.

All weight is base on what I found on the net:

SS 1LE=3784lbs
ZL1=3883lbs with manual
ZL1 1LE=3837lbs
Carbon wheel=20lbs each average
Track style seats=10lbs each weight savings
Gen 6 Z/28=3662lbs

Chevy can make the Gen 6 Z/28 MSRP 59,995. That's 10K cheaper than the Zl1 1LE which would be great for me at least lol. the Z/28 with be a 22K price package over an 1SS Camaro. It doesn't even need CC brakes.

This is something I put together when I first heard about the Zl1 1LE. Pretty much a street legal GT4 Camaro lol