CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z/28 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   Is this the last chance for a 6th gen Z/28 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574284)

BoilerKB 05-21-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercup (Post 10782635)
I am in for one - so that 1% of the first 500!

Sorry all. Never gonna happen. No money to be made and pony cars with V8's are not the future. I'd wager we'll see an electric Camaro like the Mustang SUV thingy before we ever see a Z/28. And they certainly aren't going to care that a bunch of forum people say they'll buy one.

shaffe 05-21-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 (Post 10794636)
I agree, and it is a shame. The Z/28 badge has a long history with Camaro.

The only spot I could see for it would be to put the N/A LT1 in the ZLE chassis with the DSSV suspension. It would be parallel to what they do with Corvette, putting the LT1 in the Z06 Chassis. Price it a tick above the SS 1LE.

The only reason I see GM doing anything like this would be if they had an overrun of LT1 engines since the Corvette is no longer using them. Which I suspect had a little to do with the Gen 5 Z/28. But it seems they went the other way and put the LT1 in six banger chassis.

That would probably be the perfect gen 6 Z, if they can get away from it habing to be the top dog like the 5th gen car was that would be fine.

Bhobbs 05-21-2020 05:05 PM

In my opinion, the Z/28 stands alone. Lineup or whatever isn’t relevant.

It doesn’t matter now. It’s pretty clear to me that GM has abandoned the 6th gen, if not the Camaro as a whole.

Quix 05-24-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilerKB (Post 10794785)
Sorry all. Never gonna happen. No money to be made and pony cars with V8's are not the future. I'd wager we'll see an electric Camaro like the Mustang SUV thingy before we ever see a Z/28. And they certainly aren't going to care that a bunch of forum people say they'll buy one.

I hope it's not a crossover. I might buy an electric car but I'm not buying a crossover until I get so old that I can't bend my legs anymore.

I don't think we're seeing a Z28 either, after the ZL1 1LE, GM said they were done and I believe them. No reason for them to lie about that.

MrChrisLS3 06-05-2020 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 10794818)
That would probably be the perfect gen 6 Z, if they can get away from it habing to be the top dog like the 5th gen car was that would be fine.

Well, I wouldn't think that regardless of how the 5th gen was perceived that bringing back the badge isn't that big of a stretch. The Z/28 badge has appeared on every generation, with varying "meaning", from being something special to not really anything special about it.

In the 5th Gen, it was the introduction of the DSSV suspension and marketing the car as a "street legal race car", going so far as to make A/C optional equipment. The LS7 was an engine without a car at that point as the Corvette was now the Gen V small block.

So with the Gen 6, the only thing that really makes sense, if they really wanted to throw a Z/28 badge on something, would be this. ZLE chassis/suspension N/A motor, same treatment the 5th gen got, cut out the frills. Just don't price it out $10K over the ZL1. I really believe it was pricing that was the sales issue with the 5th gen.

shaffe 06-05-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 (Post 10804586)
Well, I wouldn't think that regardless of how the 5th gen was perceived that bringing back the badge isn't that big of a stretch. The Z/28 badge has appeared on every generation, with varying "meaning", from being something special to not really anything special about it.

In the 5th Gen, it was the introduction of the DSSV suspension and marketing the car as a "street legal race car", going so far as to make A/C optional equipment. The LS7 was an engine without a car at that point as the Corvette was now the Gen V small block.

So with the Gen 6, the only thing that really makes sense, if they really wanted to throw a Z/28 badge on something, would be this. ZLE chassis/suspension N/A motor, same treatment the 5th gen got, cut out the frills. Just don't price it out $10K over the ZL1. I really believe it was pricing that was the sales issue with the 5th gen.

I think that makes it a tricky slope. I just don't know how having a top dog model of the previous gen show up in the next gen and just be middle tier.

Pricing was most definitely an issue. I think that is why we see the 350R and ZLE were offered with the full assortment of creature comforts.

avalonandl 06-26-2020 10:00 AM

Z28 is dead.... The ZLE is the Z 28.....

redcoats1976 06-27-2020 05:02 PM

how about an electric Z-28?only called the E-28...i keed,i keed.

mikeman 06-27-2020 06:22 PM

When the 4th gen was around, the SS was above the Z28 in the model ladder. The 5th gen comes out and all V8 cars were called the SS. I think this diluted the SS name to some extent. Of course, GM has been doing this for years regarding the "SS" name.

If/when the 7th gen comes out, they should return to calling the V8 cars the Z28. And, the electrified high performance models can be called the E-28. Or, the Z-2E (Z twenty e).

Bhobbs 06-27-2020 06:38 PM

No, the Z/28 should remain what it was supposed to be.

Look at the garbage that the C7 Z06 caused. Everyone is demanding the C8 Z06 to make more power or saying they will be unhappy if it makes less power.

MrChrisLS3 06-27-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10818754)
No, the Z/28 should remain what it was supposed to be.

Look at the garbage that the C7 Z06 caused. Everyone is demanding the C8 Z06 to make more power or saying they will be unhappy if it makes less power.

Right. The Z/28 was originally a performance handling package brought to market so Chevy could win races. It was never about more power. Which is why I think putting the LT2 in the ZLE chassis would be the way to go, if they really wanted to do a Z/28. But, apparently the ZLE is so good on the track, the question would be, "why"?

Quix 06-28-2020 10:01 AM

I think it's likely the Camaro will be discontinued soon and even if it isn't I think we're going to see the end of V8 Camaros because of CAFE. Almost all performance cars are turbos now and I think hybrid or electric is quite likely coming next.

I know this is going to upset a lot of people around here, but it looks like where we're headed. Buy a Camaro while they last.

shaffe 06-29-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 (Post 10818828)
Right. The Z/28 was originally a performance handling package brought to market so Chevy could win races. It was never about more power. Which is why I think putting the LT2 in the ZLE chassis would be the way to go, if they really wanted to do a Z/28. But, apparently the ZLE is so good on the track, the question would be, "why"?

This + the 302 because that is what the rules at the time dictated.

IMO the 5th gen Z/28 + the 6th gen ZLE really put the nail in the coffin for the Z/28.

samurai 07-08-2020 02:15 AM

I honestly doubt that Chevrolet is investing any money in the 6th Gen Camaro anymore, so I don't think we will see a new Z/28.

There was a prototype spotted over 2 years ago and I think this is evidence that they had something in the development. But I think there are two big things that killed the 6th Gen Z/28:
  • The ZL1 1LE was too good. A Z/28 has to be even faster on tracks, but it is not that easy. They learned a lesson from the C7 ZR1, which from what I heard was really hard to handle on the limit on track that even pros are having are hard time to get the best results. So developing a Z/28 that outperforms the ZL1 1LE would not be simple and end up in an expansive car
  • Chevrolet added a gamechanger to the market: The C8 Corvette. It's clear that the C8 is offering a performance to price ratio that is insane. With a possible Z/28 surely reaching in $80k-90k territories, how many people will actually buy this car when the 2022 Z06 will obviously outperform it for a similiar price (and has a way better interior and more cargo space than the Camaro).
I guess everybody who is looking for a high performance Chevy will switch to the C8. For Ford and Dodge it makes sense to build cars like the GT500 or Demons, since they don't have higher models people could switch too. But for Chevrolet, I really don't see the point of a new Camaro Z/28.

Also pulling Al from the Camaro to their EVs was pretty much the end of further big investments in the Camaro.