CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   Ported LGX intake manifold in the works!!! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427991)

GTIanZ28 06-28-2016 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Houston we have a problem!

I'm going to keep fiddling with this. It's sheet metal above the bolt and it appears there isn't enough room to remove the rear most bolt of the manifold.

Edit: actually just got it. Takes some creative wiggling of the manifold and the bolt. Going to be fun getting it back in!

KMPrenger 06-28-2016 09:44 PM

Had the same issue with the back bolt for my modified intake on my 2010 Camaro with the LLT.

To solve it, I took a short piece of hose and sliced it on one side length wise. Then wrapped it around the upper part of the threads on the bolt and dropped it into place on the intake. Then I could slide the intake into place without the bolt getting in the way on the bottom. Once the intake was in place, I removed the hose from the bolt and let it drop all the way in.

Good luck on this intake!

GTIanZ28 06-28-2016 11:15 PM

It's actually not terrible to get in or out. Just remove all other bolts. Wiggle out the intake manifold and it angles right out.

Do exactly the reverse to put it back in. Just that very back bolt.... Work it into place and seat the manifold. The bolt drops right into place.

That said this took me a good 1 1/2 hours for the swap. Granted this is my first swap with this car and I might have had a shot or two during the process.

The two bolts at the back of he manifold that look to provide upper engine mounting points with the chassis were a real pita. 1/16 turns with a box wrench and a lot of finger turning were needed to remove and re-install those bolts. All bolts seemed to have a very light torquing. Likely due to the plastic..... Something to be mindful of.

GTIanZ28 06-29-2016 12:09 AM

Initial feel and reaction.

Much improved throttle response. The car feels more eager and happy to rev. I actually pegged the rev limiter in 2nd gear. Hadn't done that before.

Butt dyno tells me that there is more power. It's really hard to judge. But, it felt like there is improvement in the low end torque when shifting and taking off from a stop.

I'll report more as my car adapts to the increased airflow. Bottom line I did feel a difference.

Edit: Jason were you able to flow test and compare?

KMPrenger 06-29-2016 11:10 AM

Nice. Butt dyno is always tough. "Did I really FEEL that?" That sorta thing.

But then again, enough seat time in any car and you can tell when something is different. If you can really feel a difference, then I'm going to say the actual HP or TQ difference is good.

Good stuff. I hope you V6 guys can get some nice stuff. It was slow going for the 5th gen.

Jason@JacFab 06-29-2016 01:09 PM

21% better than stock. Glad you got it on ok.

I should have thrown in some LFX intake spacer instructions. That back bolt is the same way on the 5th gen as KMP said. Pull the front 5 bolts out, lift the font of the intake up and pull it out towards you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTIanZ28 06-29-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9178558)
21% better than stock. Glad you got it on ok.

I should have thrown in some LFX intake spacer instructions. That back bolt is the same way on the 5th gen as KMP said. Pull the front 5 bolts out, lift the font of the intake up and pull it out towards you.

Damn that is a significant improvement! So my butt dyno wasn't lying. The ported throttle body and modified intake manifold is definitely unlocking some power.

So, now the question is how much?

Jason@JacFab 06-29-2016 04:29 PM

I guess we should schedule some Dyno time in the near future.

KMPrenger 06-30-2016 10:54 AM

I'm going to bet, that peak gains under the curve with those two mods (not peak power difference) is upwards of 15 HP and 15 TQ, if not 20ish or more. (15 is my conservative number lol)

cellsafemode 06-30-2016 01:53 PM

The big question is, can we expect similar pricing arrangement as the LFX ported intake ?

Also, when can we order it?

Jason@JacFab 06-30-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellsafemode (Post 9180859)
The big question is, can we expect similar pricing arrangement as the LFX ported intake ?

Also, when can we order it?

Well, since the LGX intake is so much cheaper than the LFX intake (for whatever reason), as long as I can keep getting the intakes for that reasonable price and GM doesn't jack the price up, I'm not going to be offering the core swap program, or charging a core charge. Each intake will be brand new from GM and sold outright to the end user. You will keep your stock intake manifold.

This will add cost to each unit, as well as the LGX intake using about 10x more filler than the LFX, but I still think it will be a reasonable price. Due to forum rules, I can not say pricing outside of the classifieds sections. But ballpark price for the LGX ported intake will be about the same cost as a base model Roto-Fab cold air intake for a 5th Gen SS, just throwing that out to give you an idea of cost.

Shipping would still be free in the continental US.

No idea yet on when I'll start taking orders for them. I want to get some dyno numbers first to see if it really is worthwhile to offer them. At the moment, it sounds like it does perhaps make a noticable difference, but if the dyno shows otherwise, I won't bother selling them because I don't sell things that don't work.

I have a few more parts I want to make and dyno for the 2.0t cars, and that way I can make my 4 hour drive to the dyno a little more worth while by having some things to try out myself, as well as getting Ian's car on the dyno the same day.

GTIanZ28 06-30-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9181249)
I have a few more parts I want to make and dyno for the 2.0t cars, and that way I can make my 4 hour drive to the dyno a little more worth while by having some things to try out myself, as well as getting Ian's car on the dyno the same day.

I'm definitely game for dyno time as you know - and like I said before lets meet in the middle at Eugene. Driving 4 hours both ways isn't fair for you.

I was kind of hoping to have a CAI as well to see what kind of gains we'd see with the entire intake path improved.

GTIanZ28 07-27-2016 01:19 PM

Wow it's been almost 1 month since I last posted.

All good news with the throttle body and intake manifold. I have had zero problems or issues. Zero error codes. That annoying throttle lag returned after a few days of driving - Just like with the throttle body. Think the only way to remove that lag will be with a tune or the vitesse throttle controller.

I still say the car has more power. It's running great!

What kind of progress are you making on your car Jason? I saw that you are using a V6 throttle body. Getting any closer to scheduling some dyno time?

I actually need to order a new tire. Got a screw in the left rear thats on the edge. Not sure I want to do 155 mph dyno pulls with a tire that could fail.

KMPrenger 07-28-2016 12:37 PM

I say this + ported TB + CAI + (tune or throttle controller) equals one VERY fun V6!!

Would love to see some before/after dyno results with the above.