CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   SS 1LE OR 718 GT4?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579742)

ZRacerLE 08-14-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZ06 (Post 10848598)
HAHA, IF you can get traction.

When I had my C6 Z06, 1st gear was just about useless for anything over half throttle, that can be just as frustrating. Bouncing off the traction control system sucks just as bad.

The top of 2nd and above was awesome though, that is UNTIL my motor gave out at 9K from the exhaust valve guide and heads issue.

Yep, gentle roll in to the throttle from a dig. Remember how lethal the shift from 2nd to 3rd was?

I did tsp heads to fix that problem. Did heads, cam, headers, intake, and the muffler mod. Made 550 whp. Plenty for a 3150lb car.

GuywithL86 08-14-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 10848422)
Probably nothing a different diff couldn't fix, as long as the gear ratios are nice and close together.

But then A. it would void your warranty and B. it would be expensive. Makes you wonder why didn't Porsche just use a more aggressive rear diff ratio to begin with. It's for sure cheaper than designing a different transmission.

I would be open to a high-revving engine again and I don't think the Porsche would be anemic in the lower RPM band like my RX-8. Then again, I am pretty addicted to the T O R Q U E at the moment.

Nope, i looked into it.

A regear is expensive and I believe they are not reliable. I don’t really understand the full problem to be honest, but I know you are basically screwed.

m3bs 08-14-2020 06:08 PM

Car and Driver managed to hit 60 in 3.7 even with those horrible gear ratios. Doesn’t seem to be too badly crippled.

DaveC113 08-14-2020 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bs (Post 10848683)
Car and Driver managed to hit 60 in 3.7 even with those horrible gear ratios. Doesn’t seem to be too badly crippled.

C8's what again? :noidea:

GuywithL86 08-14-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZRacerLE (Post 10848563)
... my C6Z would do 60mph in 1st. "So what?" for me as well.

My gixxer did 90mph in 1st

It’s really just an issue with how the car feels. The z06 is not a car you want to rev to the moon and take on tight twisty roads for the joy of driving. It’s more like a sledgehammer.

When you drive the gt4, its all about shifting and revving. It’s in it’s element on tight twisty roads where as the z06 wants the nurburgring.

I promise if you drove it, it would drive you nuts.

LESS1 08-14-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuywithL86 (Post 10848268)
Can confirm that the gearing almost ruins them.

Imagine having this incredible motor, chassis, and transmission, and all you want to do is rev to the moon and be constantly shifting

but you can’t. It’s so fustrating.

It’s not even just a problem with the gt4 and spyder, it’s a problem with all boxsters and caymans. It’s more of a problem on the gt4 and spyder because it is just so fustrating that you can’t enjoy it more.

That is just one more way for Porsche to protect 911 sales. Can't have the "peoples car" outperform the staple product now can we?

GuywithL86 08-14-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LESS1 (Post 10848717)
That is just one more way for Porsche to protect 911 sales. Can't have the "peoples car" outperform the staple product now can we?

It is 100% the reason they do it

LESS1 08-14-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuywithL86 (Post 10848716)

It’s really just an issue with how the car feels. The z06 is not a car you want to rev to the moon and take on tight twisty roads for the joy of driving. It’s more like a sledgehammer.

When you drive the gt4, its all about shifting and revving. It’s in it’s element on tight twisty roads where as the z06 wants the nurburgring.

Huh? sub 3200lbs car with over 450whp stock with Ti rods and 7K RPM from a 427CI engine and razor sharp turn in... yeah you've never driven a C6 Z06 in its element... road or track. I test drove GT4 on two separate occasions and they are fantastic cars. C6 Z06 is certainly no slouch and is light on it's feet and nimble with a good alignment. That is what a lot of folks seem to not get. Most cars (not Porsche and some BMW) from the factory are on very conservative alignment specs. Especially C5/C6 Vettes. Considering the intended market it is understandable. Put a good alignment on these cars and they come alive. C8 is another example of this approach... again owing to the intended market and the move to mid engine layout. Which most potential C8 owners will have never experienced. So Chevy went conservative and dialed in a little extra understeer to keep these new ME drivers out of trouble.

2SS Capt 08-14-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 10843192)
My bro has a Boxster that he has gone from mild to turbo wild on. I would say it is going to be hard to compare a mid engine 9000 RPM ride, one that is just what men around the world dream about... to a Camaro. If I could swing it, it would be GT4. It is the difference between a trophy wife (my oldlady) and a supermodel. I luv the oldlady but she just ain't in the ballpark.
My bro is a pilot so when I'm over at his house I beat the snot out of his ride and leave it with no fuel. Just drive it like I stole it. It is a heck of a ride. Of course I don't let him drive the Camaro. Just saying.

I'm a pilot, fly a $60M private jet all over the world, I bought a 2020 Camaro 2SS (and I could have bought a Porsche of any model, but I still bought a Camaro), American V8 Muscle, nothin better!

ZRacerLE 08-14-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuywithL86 (Post 10848716)

Not hating on any car. GT4 is awesome, just not for me. I had a Lotus Elise before the C6Z. 8500 redline with a 1980lb curb weight. I figured out later that I was a "nurburgring car guy" (awesome analogy by the way, I'm now adopting it :happy0180:). Thank God there's a car for everyone!

ZRacerLE 08-14-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS Capt (Post 10848740)
I'm a pilot, fly a $60M private jet all over the world, I bought a 2020 Camaro 2SS (and I could have bought a Porsche of any model, but I still bought a Camaro), American V8 Muscle, nothin better!

That says a whole lot about the 6th gens. World class. Never thought I'd be here, but here I am and loving it.

wjones14 08-14-2020 08:48 PM

Randy Pobst offers his opinion on which Camaro 1LE he would personally choose after driving both the SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE. And his choice? The 2.0 turbo 1LE! Funny short interview, but as expected, the 2.0 1LE has the best balance of the three.

Randy's interview starts at 1:54.

https://youtu.be/J2nqKD7woMc

GuywithL86 08-14-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LESS1 (Post 10848730)
Huh? sub 3200lbs car with over 450whp stock with Ti rods and 7K RPM from a 427CI engine and razor sharp turn in... yeah you've never driven a C6 Z06 in its element... road or track. I test drove GT4 on two separate occasions and they are fantastic cars. C6 Z06 is certainly no slouch and is light on it's feet and nimble with a good alignment. That is what a lot of folks seem to not get. Most cars (not Porsche and some BMW) from the factory are on very conservative alignment specs. Especially C5/C6 Vettes. Considering the intended market it is understandable. Put a good alignment on these cars and they come alive. C8 is another example of this approach... again owing to the intended market and the move to mid engine layout. Which most potential C8 owners will have never experienced. So Chevy went conservative and dialed in a little extra understeer to keep these new ME drivers out of trouble.

I have driven a c6 z06 and my dad has a boxster spyder.

You’re not understanding what I’m talking about. The boxster feels like a miata on tight twisty roads. I’m not talking about weight, it just feels like it wants to be thrown around. I know all too much about the c6z, sorry but it is not even close to tbe same driving experience even with the weight being the same.

In the z06, it comes alive at 80mph+. It loves high speed corners. That’s where it likes to be. The boxster comes alive during those 40-60mph tight twisty roads. It’s where it’s happiest. The gearing completely ruins that.

The z06 doesn’t give a shit what gear its in.

You buy a gt4 for it’s seating position, steering feel, chassis feel, suspension feel, shifter feel. GM didn’t give two shits about any of those things when designing the c6z. They wanted speed for the dollar. It is only fun to drive because of how insanely fast it is.

<i think the c6z is one of the greatest sports cars ever made, not the c5, not the c7, not the c8, the c6 z06 specifically...., but lets not get delusional on why it’s great

ZRacerLE 08-14-2020 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuywithL86 (Post 10848778)

You’re not understanding what I’m talking about. The boxster feels like a miata on tight twisty roads. I’m not talking about weight, it just feels like it wants to be thrown around. I know all too much about the c6z, sorry but it is not even close to tbe same driving experience even with the weight being the same.

In the z06, it comes alive at 80mph+. It loves high speed corners. That’s where it likes to be. The boxster comes alive during those 40-60mph tight twisty roads. It’s where it’s happiest. The gearing completely ruins that.

You buy a gt4 for it’s seating position, steering feel, chassis feel, suspension feel, shifter feel. GM didn’t give two shits about any of those things when designing the c6z. They wanted speed for the dollar. It is only fun to drive because of how insanely fast it is.

<i think the c6z is one of the greatest sports cars ever made, not the c5, not the c7, not the c8, the c6 z06 specifically...., but lets not get delusional on why it’s great

The GT4 does run with the big boys. It just ran a 7:28 at the ring. Looks to be closer to a C8 than a miata regarding laptimes.

TRZ06 08-15-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

The C6 Z06 is a great handler all around, low speed or high speed, it's light and powerful, but WIDE. This is where the GT4 feels better on twisty B roads, it is just a lot smaller in size and not as wide. The Z06 does just fine though in the twisties.

I think your comment fits more with the SS 1LE and ZLE, now THOSE are high speed sweeper cars. I can throw mine around pretty good in the twisties, as it has a LOT of grip, but you can definitely feel the weight and high center of gravity when tossing it around.

ZRacerLE 08-15-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZ06 (Post 10849212)
The C6 Z06 is a great handler all around, low speed or high speed, it's light and powerful, but WIDE. This is where the GT4 feels better on twisty B roads, it is just a lot smaller in size and not as wide. The Z06 does just fine though in the twisties.

I think your comment fits more with the SS 1LE and ZLE, now THOSE are high speed sweeper cars. I can throw mine around pretty good in the twisties, as it has a LOT of grip, but you can definitely feel the weight and high center of gravity when tossing it around.

+1

funked1 08-15-2020 07:15 PM

SS 1LE and a down payment on a house...

6spdhyperblue 08-15-2020 08:08 PM

Jumping in your C6z after watching old replays of 24hrs of lemans...

TRZ06 08-15-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funked1 (Post 10849239)
SS 1LE and a down payment on a house...

HAHA, not in CA. You will get laughed out of the bank with such a small deposit on a house here.

Maybe out in the mid-west, sure.

RobbyBeefcake87 08-16-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS Capt (Post 10848740)

You must be naive according to some.

RobbyBeefcake87 08-16-2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

You don't enjoy the c6z on those 40-60mph twisties, that's your opinion, it does just fine and many people love its handling, speed, shifter, and power delivery on a back road regardless of where YOU think a car is "happiest".

Redlinez 08-16-2020 06:41 AM

Anyone read the newest Car and Driver with the C8 vs 718 GT4?

m3bs 08-16-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10849406)

They tried hard to give it to the C8 with that 10 points to 1 “Features and Amenities” score.

GuywithL86 08-16-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 (Post 10849380)
You don't enjoy the c6z on those 40-60mph twisties, that's your opinion, it does just fine and many people love its handling, speed, shifter, and power delivery on a back road regardless of where YOU think a car is "happiest".

Of course I enjoy it, i never said I didn’t

The boxster spyder is just way way way better for that purpose

Staves 08-16-2020 05:15 PM

GT4 starts at $100K. That no option price is available by order only. Dealer lots they will be 110K plus. So $60K + more than a 1LE. Not even in same universe price-wise.

Performance to value....it's not even a question.

ZRacerLE 08-16-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staves (Post 10849723)
GT4 starts at $100K. That no option price is available by order only. Dealer lots they will be 110K plus. So $60K + more than a 1LE. Not even in same universe price-wise.

C7 ZR1 for me or eventually a C8 Z06 at that price point.

ZRacerLE 08-16-2020 07:46 PM

Just built a GT4 on the Porsche website the way I'd want it. I'd need $120K. I'd take that C7 ZR1 instead. But there's good reason why a GT4 owner didn't buy a ZR1. They wanted a GT4.

TRZ06 08-16-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10849406)

Have a link?

GuywithL86 08-19-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staves (Post 10849723)

Eh, my dad got his with no markup. He’s not anybody special.

While the are not on the same planet in performance to purchase price, they are on the same planet when it comes to performance to cost of ownership.

Gt4 and spyder have very little depreciation. Probably the slowest depreciating $100k new car that money can buy.

There are plenty of smart enthusiasts out there who could care less what the vehicle costs to purchase and care mostly about cost of ownership. You just need the money to be able to do that. But....Thats why they have the money to do that.

Everybody that buys thing based on monthly payment = moron
Everybody that buys things based on purchase price = average iq
Everybody that buys things based on purchase price + ownership cost - sale price = smart

Or you could call them poor, middle class, and rich instead of stupid and smart

RobbyBeefcake87 08-19-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuywithL86 (Post 10849696)
Of course I enjoy it, i never said I didn’t

The boxster spyder is just way way way better for that purpose

No, it's not. Atleast the z has the grunt to make the long gearing fun.

minn19 08-19-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuywithL86 (Post 10851594)

While the are not on the same planet in performance to purchase price, they are on the same planet when it comes to performance to cost of ownership.

Gt4 and spyder have very little depreciation. Probably the slowest depreciating $100k new car that money can buy.

There are plenty of smart enthusiasts out there who could care less what the vehicle costs to purchase and care mostly about cost of ownership. You just need the money to be able to do that. But....Thats why they have the money to do that.

Everybody that buys things based on purchase price + ownership cost - sale price = smart

Where does just getting what you want/like factor in there?

Nothing like an SS 08-19-2020 07:15 AM

I give a rats behind what total cost of ownership is, I care about how much I ENJOY the ride! Not a matter of intelligence as some people seem to think, yet, those same people are here on a Camaro forum saying how dumb it is to own one as it is a higher cost of ownership.

My head hurts reading posts on here sometimes....go buy the Porsche and chat on their forum instead of spewing how smart you are and how dumb we are.....should cut back on the exhaust fumes you breathe, seems to affect your brain cells....

ZRacerLE 08-19-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

There's no need for that last bit.

Nothing like an SS 08-19-2020 08:01 AM

Exactly.....sure sign of LACK of intelligence, general insults of large groups of people, that always wins friends......no actual facts just start hurling negative comments.

Amazing

RobbyBeefcake87 08-19-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS (Post 10851604)
I give a rats behind what total cost of ownership is, I care about how much I ENJOY the ride! Not a matter of intelligence as some people seem to think, yet, those same people are here on a Camaro forum saying how dumb it is to own one as it is a higher cost of ownership.

My head hurts reading posts on here sometimes....go buy the Porsche and chat on their forum instead of spewing how smart you are and how dumb we are.....should cut back on the exhaust fumes you breathe, seems to affect your brain cells....

I don't get it. He posts about his opinion on how the gt4 is clearly the better twisty roads car vs the c6z as if it's fact and universally everyone's preference, after critizicing it's very long gearing no less.

Makes a blanket statement that if given the choice and money wasn't an issue noone here would buy a camaro, then proceeds to get proven wrong by people with the means to get more expensive cars but still choose camaros.

And on other threads states how the mustang is clearly the more fun car vs the camaro because it fish tails and spins out everywhere lol.

Guy doesn't even have a camaro, just comes on here to troll it seems.

RobbyBeefcake87 08-19-2020 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I'm glad you atleast changed your thought process a little and at least included purchase price as something to factor in the budget... considering a few pages back you claimed otherwise.

ST1LE 08-19-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

People that say 'could care less' instead of 'could NOT care less' = below avg iq

See, we can all pass judgement but sadly that alone does not make us right or even smart.

ZRacerLE 08-19-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10851664)
People that say 'could care less' instead of 'could NOT care less' = below avg iq

See, we can all pass judgement but sadly that alone does not make us right or even smart.

If you could care less, then you probably care too much. Stop that. :D

minn19 08-19-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZRacerLE (Post 10851631)
There's no need for that last bit.

^This, people that are really smart with their money don't tie up 100k plus into a car or pay high payments financing said car. They invest it etc.

Cars are rarely ever a good "investment" etc period. They are emotional/fun purchases. Any car nice or not rarely shows what a person's net worth represents.

I hate it when these discussion devolve to this. Non scientific, but nearly every time it seems to be a Porsche owner. The actions of Porsche owners on many different forums (BMW, Ford, Chev) and in person have been considerations when thinking about buying one. I know it shouldn't, but I'm human and it does. Also, I know every brand had their negative stereotypes, but the Porsche one to me seems to be one of the worst and the truest.

ZRacerLE 08-19-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minn19 (Post 10851700)
^This, people that are really smart with their money don't tie up 100k plus into a car or pay high payments financing said car. They invest it etc.

Cars are rarely ever a good "investment" etc period. They are emotional/fun purchases. Any car nice or not rarely shows what a person's net worth represents.

I hate it when these discussion devolve to this. Non scientific, but nearly every time it seems to be a Porsche owner. The actions of Porsche owners on many different forums (BMW, Ford, Chev) and in person have been considerations when thinking about buying one. I know it shouldn't, but I'm human and it does. Also, I know every brand had their negative stereotypes, but the Porsche one to me seems to be one of the worst and the truest.

This has been my experience as well. That's why I love to meet a down to earth (new) Porsche owner. They are out there for sure and I bet they hate the stereotype. It's real though.

Pretty clear L86 guy looks down on camaro owners. I'm betting he's just young and will grow out of it.