CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Toyo R888R's (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547658)

SFV1LE 10-18-2019 02:56 PM

R888R are definitely NOT as fast as GY SCF1 3R for road course lap times.

R888R are better for drag racing, and last longer than GY SCF1 3R under all conditions--street, strip, track.

R888R and R888 before them, have long been known to overheat and get greasy faster than better track tires like Hoosiers and Michelin PSC2s. R888R take longer to heat up, dont have the same level of peak grip as either Hoosier R7/A7 or PSC2, and fall off faster. Same is true of R888R vs. GY SCF1 3R.

No high end sports car manufacturer includes R888R as an OEM street/track tire--most, like Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari, use PSC2 or Pirelli PZero.

R888R is a very good high grip street and drag tire with longer life and tread depth than others, that's it IMO.

mlee 10-18-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFV1LE (Post 10643349)
R888R are definitely NOT as fast as GY SCF1 3R for road course lap times.

R888R are better for drag racing, and last longer than GY SCF1 3R under all conditions--street, strip, track.

R888R and R888 before them, have long been known to overheat and get greasy faster than better track tires like Hoosiers and Michelin PSC2s. R888R take longer to heat up, dont have the same level of peak grip as either Hoosier R7/A7 or PSC2, and fall off faster. Same is true of R888R vs. GY SCF1 3R.

No high end sports car manufacturer includes R888R as an OEM street/track tire--most, like Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari, use PSC2 or Pirelli PZero.

R888R is a very good high grip street and drag tire with longer life and tread depth than others, that's it IMO.

:thumb: This follows with what I mentioned about being good for AutoX too.

arpad_m 10-18-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markoz28 (Post 10642991)
I have the R’s in 325/30/20 size. Grip for days! Love the look too. They are significantly louder than my stock GYSCs but doesn’t bother me one bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES (Post 10643098)
They sound like a bad wheel bearing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too_Fast (Post 10643253)
They are much louder ( but my car is loud and drowns it out ), but I could tell once they had a few miles on them.

Thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear (pardon the silly pun), but it is what it is, there ain't no free lunch as we all know.

I'd love to try and see how bad they are in terms of whine, but at this price point I won't gamble... but if anyone runs these in northern NJ and is willing to give me a demo... ;)

SlowShelby 10-19-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10431197)
Let everybody talk all of their science and whatnot.

The Toyo R888 and R888R are fantastic choices for high HP street cars that don't want to run a wobbly drag radial or slick. Yes, they have tire hum and wear quickly and you will not want to run them in a downpour or in cold (<40-50 degree) weather. However, these characteristics are true of ANY high performance tire in this class.

There are lots of members running 20" R888Rs on stock wheels on this forum, and they, like everybody else I know that runs them, rave about the tires and simply point out their normal trade offs of a high performance tire.

A Michelin Sport 4S is not in the same league as a R888R. The 4S is a great street tire for most conditions and handles LIGHT track use. The SC2 is a great tire as well, however, it does not have as much longitudinal traction as the R888/R888R. The RE71 is a great tire too, not a ton of experience with them so I won't speak with them but I've heard great results from the forums.

The R888R is my top recommendation for a high performance street tire if you can handle the trade offs. Note: if you can't handle the trade offs of the R888R then you won't be able to handle the trade offs of any tire with similar grip.

As a person with experience with these tires and similar rubber, this is a solid post. They will wear quickly. I did get a little more out of mine all of the time as I did not drag race or road race. When they are worn, you have be just as cautious as you would with a worn drag radial (NT05R in my experience) as the wide bald tires hydroplane easily.

I go back and forth on the Nitto and Toyo, mainly based on availability. Similar characteristics for me, although it was more of finding a tire that would hook on a roll versus leveraging its capability.

GT-ER 10-19-2019 06:11 PM

I use the R888R in the rear in a 315/30/20 size and it's a great tire for sure (compared to the OE tires anyways) but it is very loud and has it's limits. At anything over 700whp they start to not hold up too well and at 800whp they can be somewhat dangerous at anything under 60mph. It is what it is though, I don't think there is any tire that can handle 800+whp without going to smaller wheel/bigger tire drag setup.

Q8yZL1 10-20-2019 04:33 AM

Here is my experience with the Toyo's, i shipped 4 285/30/20 tires from the states for the fronts, and here in Kuwait we only have the 315/30/20 available, cost was a killer for me to begin with, track capability was spectacular until i wore them off after 4 days of continues 40mins sessions on the track, those sessions ran from 9am till 7pm. I then searched for something cheaper than the pirelli's and michelin's and was shocked when i found Kumho's, they had the V720 for the rear and PS91 for the fronts, they took a lot of beating last weekend and performed very very good, funny to say as good as the GoodYears!