CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Drove LTV6, SS and Stang GT (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534630)

jrob56 07-23-2018 04:08 PM

Have you tried another dealer for your RS issues? I wouldn’t blame GM as much as the dealer, if your dealer wants to take care of you they can get it warrantied.

I’ll take the vette, tell me where to pick it up!

Mountain 07-23-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2K+1LE (Post 10259374)
Yeah, the original poster's comment about the MT82 shifting on par with an ND Miata is the stuff of Meth Dreams. Having owned a Mustang GT with the MT82 and a Camaro SS with the Tremec I'm quite positive which one is better than the other. The MT82 is such garbage that the Mustang race cars use a Temec in it's place.

There's other exaggerations that make this difficult to believe overall as well, like for example the comment about both steering wheels being 20 degrees off center. 20 degrees is a LOT, I'd like to see a video of this.

Keep in mind the MT82 in the 2018+ is a heavily updated version (“MT82D4”). Revised gear ratios, gear layout, shift forks, tweaks to the synchro. It is, actually, a lot nicer of a gearbox than the S197 version! It’s still the MT82, though.

The Tremec has been around a while, but it’s also been continuously improved... and it’s a fantastic trans. Thank you, Viper and BorgWarner!

S2K+1LE 07-23-2018 05:59 PM

Yep I’ve driven 3 18s. GT, GTPP1, GTPP2. They’ve made superficial refinements that don’t impact its durability or my opinion.

Good news is the car will go limp dick and toss a rear diff code before you’re having enough fun to hurt the trans anyway. Garbage cars.

gringo 07-24-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 10259559)
what is so wrong with the C4 vette?unless it was falling apart as it pulled in it would always have a place in my driveway...

The early C4 is still at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Most dealers around here won't take in something that old anyway.

Unfortunately, a lot of Corvette enthusiasts look down upon that particular generation unless it's an LT4 or ZR1 model.

DangerZL1 07-24-2018 12:31 PM

There are some shift fork failures in the Stang trans with the aluminum one that replaced the steel one, so buyer beware. As nice as the Mustangs sound and look, GM cars generally have the best quality among the big three. Hopefully, they'll do you right and fix the trans so you'll be able to forget about trading.

JT58 07-24-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 10259559)
what is so wrong with the C4 vette?unless it was falling apart as it pulled in it would always have a place in my driveway...

Nothing at all. If I had a driveway I'd keep it. I worked on it for 2 weeks straight 12 hours a day when I first got it and a lot on weekends for over 2 years that I have had it. I have over 11K invested in it, my price on Car Gurus and CL is $5500. Best real offer I had was 1K. As stated unfortunately the C4 vintage is the least desirable of all the Corvettes except for ZR1.

JT58 07-24-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2K+1LE (Post 10259374)
Yeah, the original poster's comment about the MT82 shifting on par with an ND Miata is the stuff of Meth Dreams. Having owned a Mustang GT with the MT82 and a Camaro SS with the Tremec I'm quite positive which one is better than the other. The MT82 is such garbage that the Mustang race cars use a Temec in it's place.

There's other exaggerations that make this difficult to believe overall as well, like for example the comment about both steering wheels being 20 degrees off center. 20 degrees is a LOT, I'd like to see a video of this.

It's just my opinion having owned and driven many cars in my almost 60 years of age. Perhaps the MT82 will not hold up to aggressive driving or track use like the Tremec. Some of the early 2016 Miata ND's had transmission troubles when driven hard or on the track. Mine was an early one and I had no issues in the 2 years I owned it.

As far as the steering wheel and alignments- both cars were left over 2017's. With the general population in this area being older folks (no clue how to drive a M/T), the M/T cars are hard to come by here and tend to sit on lots for a long time. They might not have been prepped or the tire pressure was very low but neither one tracked well and the steering wheels were definitely off center. My RS tracked and drove much better.

Buzzberd6 07-25-2018 08:27 AM

OP, I think you need to drive a V6 1LE (if you can find one) and see how that compares to what you have and have driven so far. It won't have the power of the V8 obviously but the steering response compared to an SS is definitely better.

I've never regretted selling my S2000 before or since I bought mine.

GearheadSS 07-25-2018 08:41 AM

I wouldn't buy a manual Stang just because the gearbox comes from China. I've not heard good things about it's durability either.

smokinzx14r 07-25-2018 09:25 AM

Seems funny they want to charge you 600 more insurance for the mustang .. I just traded my 2015 mustang for a 2018 1SS and my insurance went up 7 dollars a year over the 2015 mustang for the Camaro.. Trust me on this one the Mustang MT82 is a pile of dog shit from china ..had mine 4 weeks and 3rd gear sounded like a meat grinder .. Hi RPM gear lock outs ..Sloppy assed shifter .. It was so bad I took it back and traded for a 2015 mustang with a A6 ..

Ray-J 07-25-2018 09:49 AM

For 2018 the Mustang gear box, manual, was updated a lot. Many state just what the original poster says about it. I did not get to test it for some odd reason all of the 18's I tested were automatics. Speaking of which those were updated for 18 also to the 10 speed. Don't sleep on the Mustang guys while yes the Camaro is a better engineered car the Mustang does still win in a lot of ways. It is about your preference and what drives you. I still miss my car everyday I drive my Camaro.

On a side note my insurance also went up $8 a month with the Camaro. Odd?

mdhopt36 07-25-2018 10:46 AM

$600 more for a stang?
Since it involves $$$ I'd say the insurance co's know sump'in we don't !!!

doc7000 07-25-2018 11:35 AM

I believe the 2018 Mustang GT has a recall on both the 6 speed manual and 10 speed auto with the manual having issues breaking shift forks.

metros11 07-25-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT58 (Post 10259100)
[/SIZE]So, sorry guys (and girls) I liked the GT the best.[/FONT]

No need to apologize. I test drove an '18 GT PP1 against an '18 SS, and found the Mustang to be better in almost every category when it comes to daily and just plain cruising. If I were buying a convertible for example, I would have chosen the GT. However, the handling in the SS is much better and if I'm buying a performance car, the SS wins hands down in that department. So I went with the SS 1LE. Others have different needs, and it's the reason the GT is so popular and outsells the Camaro.