CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   1st track event which mode? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548634)

TrackClub 02-23-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnydz (Post 10444681)
That's some great info. Quick question in sport or track Non ptm does the throttle still measure the yaw of the vehicle? Or is it just simply using traction control and stability control? And is there any difference in the 2 besides the shocks, steering, and sound since u can change those manually anyways?

Yaw anges are independent of throttle. They measure the yaw between the car's direction and your steering.
If that angle is excessive (meaning the car is either under or over steering in an excessive fashion) that Stabilitrak will apply a brake to whatever wheel necessary to try and correct the excessive yaw.

Traction Control is throttle input related. If you add too much throttle and cause rear wheels to spin then TC will kick in and retard power to the motor to stop the spin.

If you just start a car up and dont select any PTM or Comp Mode (which is independent and a different setting than any of the PTM choices) then both Stabilitrack and TC are always on. Regardless whether you're in Touring, Sport or Track mode. The latter 3 modes control suspension settings not any of the nannies.

All PTM modes have TC. From most restrictive in Snow and Ice mode, to progressively less restrictive in modes that follow. PTM Race has the least restrictive TC.

All PTM modes up to Sport 1 have Stabilitrack which manages any excessive yaw angles and has nothing to do with TC. Then if you go to Sport 2 or Race modes Stabilitrack TURNS OFF and it is up to a driver to manage yaw by themselves thru steering, throttle and brakes.

Hope i have answered your question. If not, happy to clarify further if necessary.

PS If you havent read the sticky on the subject, please do. Just go to the very first post in that thread and read it ALL incl GM engineer's explanations. Cheers!

TrackClub 02-23-2019 11:55 PM

Another tid bit for the OP: steering mode.
A lot of folks here like to set Steering in Touring for best feel. That's the only setting i pick on the Infotainment screen to lock it in regardless what drive modes i select.
The rest i leave in default.

Steering in Touring provides for a nice weighted feel.
If you put it in Track it will feel rather heavy and as a consequence it will rob you of the detail feedback. At least that's what i feel and prefer.

protovack 02-26-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Steering in Touring provides for a nice weighted feel.
If you put it in Track it will feel rather heavy and as a consequence it will rob you of the detail feedback. At least that's what i feel and prefer.
Maybe I completely don't understand the steering system, but doesn't the heavier feel allow for more road feedback, because less electric assist is being applied to the system?

TrackClub 02-26-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protovack (Post 10447314)
Maybe I completely don't understand the steering system, but doesn't the heavier feel allow for more road feedback, because less electric assist is being applied to the system?

Good point. I dont understand it fully either.
All i know is that i get better feedback and it is much easier to make corrections vs fighting a heavy wheel.

Stephen12ZL1 03-02-2019 08:21 AM

Sport 1 is great and "moving up" doesn't necessarily mean faster. Sport 1 will hardly intervene if you are smooth with inputs. The beauty with Sport 1 is that Stabilitrak is still on just in case you don't perform as perfectly as the car expects. It is likely the car is smarter than we are and knows when danger is looming. PTM is amazing and GM did a great job programming it.

Norm Peterson 03-03-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protovack (Post 10447314)

Not necessarily.

By that I mean that while there probably is some correlation between steering "weight" and "feel", it doesn't have to be a close correlation. "Feel" seems to be at least partly how the driver interprets all the little vibrations originating at the contact patches that travel up the steering system to the steering wheel. Add either mass or more damping into that path, and "feel" tends to diminish, independently of whether the effort required to make the steering happen is decreased. Vibrations and forces are different things.

The one thing that heavier feel might do for you in a positive sense would be where the extra effort required could keep some of any driver twitchiness at the steering wheel from doing much at the wheels that steer. Twitches such as might happen while shifting and the weight or force from the driver's left hand is no longer balanced and he ends up with a little unintended steering input. Perhaps some drivers are naturally "busier" or "more twitchy" at the steering wheel than others.

FWIW, EPAS systems have typically provided less "feel" than good hydraulic systems, which in turn weren't as good as good unpowered steering systems. I'm insisting on saying 'good' because the details matter. Even a non-assisted steering system can be made to feel "heavy" . . . and sacrifice feel in the process. One of my long-ago cars was a bit like that, and I can only make a couple of guesses as to why it was the way it was.

Norm

TrackClub 03-03-2019 09:52 AM

Nicely articulated Norm!

Badmojo 03-03-2019 10:38 AM

As many have stated, leave it in PTM Sport one for the entire day and not worry about it. Focus on learning the track and the fundamentals.