Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
No-Lift Shift?

So i tried some no lift shift today for my first time, and it felt and sounded odd...
I kept the throttle mashed all the way down as i shifted at about 6,200RPMs, and when i would shift, i heard a nasty sound, kinda like a high revving fart can or a bunch of bees buzzing loudly. Is that normal? Did i do it wrong? Its the wierdest sound, and first time hearig it.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
glebulon

Drives: Hairdresser car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
So i tried some no lift shift today for my first time, and it felt and sounded odd...
I kept the throttle mashed all the way down as i shifted at about 6,200RPMs, and when i would shift, i heard a nasty sound, kinda like a high revving fart can or a bunch of bees buzzing loudly. Is that normal? Did i do it wrong? Its the wierdest sound, and first time hearig it.
I don't have a Camaro but that sound seems normal, what you should see is that whatever RPM you press the clutch in, that rpm is where the engine should stay, sort of like a secondary rev limiter. The upshift should be quick, you should have no issue going into the next gear very quickly.
glebulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
it's normal
Iroc_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
When I can execute it correctly it is awesome. Its just I keep training my right foot to come off the throttle for every day driving and then when I want to do the NLS I have to consciously make a point to tell my brain. "OK.. This time don't take your foot off the gas". lol.

Hey what do you guys reference for what RPM to shift at? Do you look at the RPM's on the HUD assuming you have it configured to view that or looking down at the actual Tach on the dash. I seem to hit the rev limiter on occassion and I wonder if the digital tach on the HUD has a slight lag.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
I've used both, but seem to instinctively look as analog tach. Old habits are hard to break. I shift at 6k roughly
Old 02-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
I've used both, but seem to instinctively look as analog tach. Old habits are hard to break. I shift at 6k roughly

Yeah it took me a while forcing myself to look at the tach on the HUD. Lol. It would probably be better for me if I do the same and just shift 6K as well. With how quick the RPMs climb up it probably would equate to the perfect shift point anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Pretty soon it just come natural. I always did it on WOT shifts. The sound you hear is normal and the faster you shift the less you will hear it.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Awesome, guess i was being paranoid lol thanks for the input guys!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Awesome, guess i was being paranoid lol thanks for the input guys!
If you drag race much (track only of course) it will become more automatic when drag racing. Esp. if getting beat by the power shifts/speed shifting (as it was called) crowd. Then when just driving you do not think about it and do not use it....we did not have rev limiters, but just lift quickly if you miss a shift and do better on the next run...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
You are just stabbing the clutch as fast as you can and timing the shift to the clutch stab...ie as fast as you can stab your left foot to the floor and up...no slow press allowed...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote