Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Track day guys: Oil swaps and catch cans

Understandably most 1LE owners are still in break-in or have just passed it and probably have yet to see any track time, so this may be very subjective when talking specifically about the 1LE (and not a regular SS or Vette).

Track day oil swaps:

Just like the Vette, the performance supplement calls for an oil change to 15-50 for track days, and then back to 5-30 for street driving. Depending on how many events you do, this could add up to quite a cost if you swap each and every time. I have been doing some research on the Stingray forums and there is a bit of talk about running a 15-50 full time, with the general consensus of "internet knowledge" saying the only downside are a decrease MPG, more wear on Cats and potentially a bit more wear on cold start.

Other possibilities brought up were the use of a 10-40, or a 0-40 like the GTR, and Porsche's use full time. On the opposite side of the spectrum is the continued use a 5-30 if you will only be tracking the car rarely.

What will you guys be doing? It's easy to say you will follow the manual exactly, but realistically will you be swapping oil for each event?

Oil Catch cans

Being a new Camaro owner, and actually, a new Chevy owner, I am just now learning about the catch can issues and how a lot of the internet says they are near mandatory for these motors with planned heavy use. I've also seen some of the other arguments that say if GM thought they were necessary, they would be included from the factory.

Does this argument apply to the 1LE? This car has been worked over and is 'built' specifically for hard track use. If GM went so far as to add coolers for different systems, wouldn't they add an intake side catch can if they found it was needed?

I don't know enough about this issue to have an opinion myself, I am simply just asking. For under $200 it certainly doesn't seem like it would hurt to have one.

What will you guys be doing?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
I thought 5-40 would be good in this climate and hope to track a bit, but more to learn to drive this car better in a safe environment than as a regular thing. Definitely not doing a 10 quart change for that.

Also been iffy on catch cans and recently discovered this one on the 'Vette forums and really like it.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
German Castrol 0W40
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post

I've also seen some of the other arguments that say if GM thought they were necessary, they would be included from the factory.

You could say that about many things, IMO, that is hogwash on many fronts. As for the catch cans, they couldn't guarantee that the owner would empty it in time. If it overflows, it will cause more harm than good...they just can't take that chance from a corporate standpoint.

I have a new Mishimoto catch can sitting in my garage. Most likely it will be going on at some point in the near future. Everyone I know with a LT1 runs one...

As for the oil, I wonder if this applies to a few autocross events too, or if this is more so for full track days/weekends? I'm thinking just for longer, more involved track days only...
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Catch can to try to mitigate carbon build up? How difficult is it to get to the intake valves to clean them? This issue is widely prevalent in today's cars.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
Catch can to try to mitigate carbon build up? How difficult is it to get to the intake valves to clean them? This issue is widely prevalent in today's cars.
Also keeps excessive oil vapor/residue from getting into your intake too...
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'm changing my oil over to Motul 8100 X Clean 5w-40 Dexos 2. I will be running it from here on. Including my daily driving.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Understandably most 1LE owners are still in break-in or have just passed it and probably have yet to see any track time, so this may be very subjective when talking specifically about the 1LE (and not a regular SS or Vette).

Track day oil swaps:

Just like the Vette, the performance supplement calls for an oil change to 15-50 for track days, and then back to 5-30 for street driving. Depending on how many events you do, this could add up to quite a cost if you swap each and every time. I have been doing some research on the Stingray forums and there is a bit of talk about running a 15-50 full time, with the general consensus of "internet knowledge" saying the only downside are a decrease MPG, more wear on Cats and potentially a bit more wear on cold start.

Other possibilities brought up were the use of a 10-40, or a 0-40 like the GTR, and Porsche's use full time. On the opposite side of the spectrum is the continued use a 5-30 if you will only be tracking the car rarely.

What will you guys be doing? It's easy to say you will follow the manual exactly, but realistically will you be swapping oil for each event?

Oil Catch cans

Being a new Camaro owner, and actually, a new Chevy owner, I am just now learning about the catch can issues and how a lot of the internet says they are near mandatory for these motors with planned heavy use. I've also seen some of the other arguments that say if GM thought they were necessary, they would be included from the factory.

Does this argument apply to the 1LE? This car has been worked over and is 'built' specifically for hard track use. If GM went so far as to add coolers for different systems, wouldn't they add an intake side catch can if they found it was needed?

I don't know enough about this issue to have an opinion myself, I am simply just asking. For under $200 it certainly doesn't seem like it would hurt to have one.

What will you guys be doing?
I ran a 2 day weekend on 5w 30, and then I changed to 5w-40 dexos2 MOTUL and ran a 1 day event, I also have a mishimoto catch can. Prevention never hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Also keeps excessive oil vapor/residue from getting into your intake too...
I had one on my 15'1LE and it caught oil, so far on my 16' I am only getting some condensate, but it is definitely catching things that would end up in the intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I'm changing my oil over to Motul 8100 X Clean 5w-40 Dexos 2. I will be running it from here on. Including my daily driving.

Same here

cheapest I have found it to date is here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:

Thats what I chose as well.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
You could say that about many things, IMO, that is hogwash on many fronts. As for the catch cans, they couldn't guarantee that the owner would empty it in time. If it overflows, it will cause more harm than good...they just can't take that chance from a corporate standpoint.

I have a new Mishimoto catch can sitting in my garage. Most likely it will be going on at some point in the near future. Everyone I know with a LT1 runs one...

As for the oil, I wonder if this applies to a few autocross events too, or if this is more so for full track days/weekends? I'm thinking just for longer, more involved track days only...
Catch cans in freezing weather can be a disaster when there is water mixed within.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
Same here

cheapest I have found it to date is here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I saw that too, but ordered from another seller that actually showed the bottle with the Dexos2 logo. I was afraid that one was an older formula. Did you order from there and get the new bottle with the dexos2 rating?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
Catch cans in freezing weather can be a disaster when there is water mixed within.
Only if you let them overflow, you need to check them more often when it's freezing out...

I don't have to worry about any freezing temps where I live anyway.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:

This stuff really that good? Links to tests? I used to check out Bob the Oil Guy a lot, and last I checked (granted, over a year ago), the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic was where it was at...
Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
I ran a 2 day weekend on 5w 30, and then I changed to 5w-40 dexos2 MOTUL and ran a 1 day event, I also have a mishimoto catch can. Prevention never hurts

I had one on my 15'1LE and it caught oil, so far on my 16' I am only getting some condensate, but it is definitely catching things that would end up in the intake.

Same here

That link is for Motul X-Cess, which is not Dexos2 certified. Only the Motul X-Clean is.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote