Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Blown330

Drives: 2016 Stingray Z51
LPO Spectrum Lighting

Has anyone added the LPO spectrum lighting on a 1SS? Is it similar to what is offered on the 2SS cars? Has anyone gotten it cheaper and installed it themselves??
Blown330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
its a bit of work from what ive seen... mostly just cable and trim managment...

but realize this... the LED strip above the radio only has white LED's in there... it will not follow the color commands you've selected like the doors will.... I'm hoping to find a work around ... hoping something comes out in after market or get 2ss radio parts from GM
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
LJcamaroSS

Drives: 2016 CamaroSS Hyber blue
So when the LPO lighting is installed does the dealer or installer have to do a software update on the mylink to control the lighting function?
LJcamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJcamaroSS View Post
So when the LPO lighting is installed does the dealer or installer have to do a software update on the mylink to control the lighting function?
Had mine programmed today, Yes a update to BCM and HMI. took a bit because they didn't know what to flash for the options to appear on the mylink for the lighting. after about 30 min on the phone with gm techs they got it and flashed android auto update at the same time.From start to finish 1 hour 30 min. not too bad. Install was a bitch though.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
I was one of the first ones to install this LPO. I was the first one on here to do a write up about it and a DIY. Yes it works like the 2SS except for the radio like stated earlier. We are going to be working on finding a aftermarket solution for it this winter hopefully while the Camaro is in hibernation. I did the install myself and it was a pain in the ass. Getting to some of the wires underneath the dash plus there was no info on how to remove anything but what came in the box from GM. When I took it to my dealership to be programmed they did not know what to do and either did the GM Tech Center. It took me going back 3 times before we got everything flashed that needed flashed and is working great now. You just missed a great deal on eBay. A guy was selling 2 new kits for $450.00 but you can still find them on there cheaper than what the dealership wants for it. After the second time I went home and made some phone calls and done the foot work to find a solution and finally got a hold of one of the design engineers that worked on it and got the info I needed to take it back to my dealership so we could get it working. The instructions that came in the box with this LPO said to flash the BCM but they also needed to flash the HMI to get everything to work and be controlled by the radio.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
chris227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
I was one of the first ones to install this LPO. I was the first one on here to do a write up about it and a DIY. Yes it works like the 2SS except for the radio like stated earlier. We are going to be working on finding a aftermarket solution for it this winter hopefully while the Camaro is in hibernation. I did the install myself and it was a pain in the ass. Getting to some of the wires underneath the dash plus there was no info on how to remove anything but what came in the box from GM. When I took it to my dealership to be programmed they did not know what to do and either did the GM Tech Center. It took me going back 3 times before we got everything flashed that needed flashed and is working great now. You just missed a great deal on eBay. A guy was selling 2 new kits for $450.00 but you can still find them on there cheaper than what the dealership wants for it. After the second time I went home and made some phone calls and done the foot work to find a solution and finally got a hold of one of the design engineers that worked on it and got the info I needed to take it back to my dealership so we could get it working. The instructions that came in the box with this LPO said to flash the BCM but they also needed to flash the HMI to get everything to work and be controlled by the radio.
Got the stereo leds figured out. Had to replace the led modules with the footwell ones and a little housing modification. just used the wiring that was for the footwells for the stereo instead.
Attached Images

Last edited by chris227; 12-17-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Finally a practical use for those worthless OEM footwell lights. Nice
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
chris227

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Finally a practical use for those worthless OEM footwell lights. Nice
Not worthless anymore. Knew i'd find a use for them.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
chris227

Quote:
Here's the pics, I removed the tape so you can see what i cut.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Hyper1SS

Awesome!! Will be working on this soon and also try to order and install the cup holder lighting.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #11
Hyper1SS

So you have to take the LED chip out of the footwell light units on both sides and open up the back of the radio and switch them out with the white LED?

Old 12-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
chris227

Yes, these are what they look like. These are the footwell ones. The housing look the same as the white radio ones. Different connector but close to the same. The color changing uses a six leg led.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2016, 02:59 AM   #13
Hyper1SS

Awesome!! Thanks for the pictures

Old 12-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Got the stereo leds figured out. Had to replace the led modules with the footwell ones and a little housing modification. just used the wiring that was for the footwells for the stereo instead.
oh man ive been looking for a solution before my car arrives at the dealerships so that they can fix this in addition to my LPO Dark Night side LED's...

EDIT I just realized you have a 2LT that has multi spectrum LED's.... Are you saying that the 1LT/1SS models that have teh white LED's are actually multi-spectrum and just require the change in controller to the footwell controller to activate ?

Can you explain a bit further what you mean since I dont have my car yet?

The piece you cut out.. that was so that the connector would fit in the radio slot?

So we remove the 6 lead connector from footwell... trim that molding down... and it should slot into radio LED ?

or was it this?

Quote:
So you have to take the LED chip out of the footwell light units on both sides and open up the back of the radio and switch them out with the white LED?

Last edited by aa406079; 12-18-2016 at 07:11 PM.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote