Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-21-2016, 11:42 PM   #1
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
How many planning to install a catch can on their ZL1?

Not trying to start a catch can/no catch can thread. Just curious how many of you that have used a catch can in the past are planning to install one on your new ZL1?

I had an Elite E2 can on my '13 ZL1 that worked well. I've been researching installing one on my new ZL1. So far all the info I can find is based off the LT4 in the Z06.

It looks like installation on the LT4 is going to be a lot more complicated then just inserting the can into the PVC system. Apparently there's a tube coming from the valley cover that vents dirty side vapors directly into the inlet plenum of the supercharger. As the part of the catch can installation, The lid to the supercharger has to be removed and the opening to this vent tube plugged. This seems like a significant modification to the engine and given there's already history of GM voiding a powertrain warranty for a "pass through" can, I can only imagine their reaction when they discover you've plugged an opening in the engine.

Right now I'm on the fence about installing a catch can and curious what everyone else has planned to deal with oil ingestion on their new cars.

If you want more info on the subject, I found this big thread from a year ago over at the Stingray Forums.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...w-z06-lt4.html
Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think there's a clean side "oil separator" already part of the LT4 engine. It pulls from both valve covers, and then drains into the crank case.

This is good news.

I don't think I'm planning to do it...but it will be interested to see how people approach the dirty side (valley) of things. I know they will...
Old 11-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
no plans. I installed one on my Gen5 and it caught about two thimbles of oil in 20K miles. No thanks. Waste of time and money from my experience and the LT4 install would be even worse.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
If it doesn't make my car go faster I'm not putting it on.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I think there's a clean side "oil separator" already part of the LT4 engine. It pulls from both valve covers, and then drains into the crank case.

This is good news.

I don't think I'm planning to do it...but it will be interested to see how people approach the dirty side (valley) of things. I know they will...
Yes, I understand the clean side "oil separator" on the LT4 does a pretty good job. The dirty side vapors and the long term effect of those vapors and gunk on the intercoolers and valves is where I have my concerns. Especially if it reduces engine performance over time. I'm just not comfortable plugging a hole in the supercharger as part of the remedy which is why I asked what everyone was planning to do. Based on the responses so far, I don't see a catch can install on my car any time in the foreseeable future.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If it doesn't make my car go faster I'm not putting it on.
Amen brother.