Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
drnapski
Total Performance Racing

Drives: 2010GTS2011T22012TA32014Z282016SS
2016 SS Road Race Project

Here's a short article on our build for Touring 2. For anyone doing the same or considering, we are happy to help or at least share our experience.

https://theblock.com/news/wheel-whee...-tells-you-how
drnapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i will be road racing mine later so i will look into this! thanks!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Very nice. And good on McMahan Autosport for being willing and able to support such a short schedule.

At Mid-Ohio, were you running the club-circuit chicane leading into the keyhole?

As a (now retired) engineer, ex-autocrosser, and occasional HPDE driver, I'm curious about the wheel width(s?) used for 295-section tires, and whether or not it was established by a class ruleset limit.

Norm
Old 10-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Very cool share. Thanks.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
absolutely love it. great to see others doing something with their cars, be it grass roots, mid level or top level. always raises the bar for others!

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Awesome!!
I think I saw one of your camaro at Gingerman couple of times... (the gold and black one shown on your website)

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Awesome!!! So, wait, which factory brake setup are you running? The four or six piston caliper?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
HyperBlue

Drives: 2011 MB E350 wagon
Great to see! I'm a fan.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
drnapski
Total Performance Racing

Thanks for your comments everyone. As far as the course layout at Mid Ohio for Runoffs, we ran the pro course without the chicane. Depending on the car, the pro course can be 1-2 seconds faster without the right-left diversion.

On the wheels and tires, we are governed by the class and specific vehicle approved rules. We do run 295's on all four corners. Rear wheels are 11" wide and fronts are 10" wide.

Our black and gold 5th gen still exists. It now has a black and red carbon fiber style wrap on it to proudly display our Tremec partners. Absolutely love this car...lots of history. We currently race the 5th gen in the Trans Am series.

On the brakes, the SCCA rules allowed the 6 piston package but it carried a 100# weight penalty. Another 100# may not seem like much percentage wise, but the it does reduce lap times which has to be offset by braking distance and earlythrottle. With little time, we decided to test the 4 piston package first and had excellent results in race trim with aggressive race pads and tires. Very gratifying to see how the abs programming/algorithm is much better suited for race trim in the 6th gen.

Great questions and comments everyone...I'll try to be more timely. We are off to SEMA where our 2016 car will be on display with GM. From there direct to COTA and then Daytona for the last 2 Trans Am races. Seriously thinking about the 2016 car in Trans Am next year....lots of exciting things on the horizon.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnapski View Post
Thanks for your comments everyone. As far as the course layout at Mid Ohio for Runoffs, we ran the pro course without the chicane. Depending on the car, the pro course can be 1-2 seconds faster without the right-left diversion.

On the wheels and tires, we are governed by the class and specific vehicle approved rules. We do run 295's on all four corners. Rear wheels are 11" wide and fronts are 10" wide.

Our black and gold 5th gen still exists. It now has a black and red carbon fiber style wrap on it to proudly display our Tremec partners. Absolutely love this car...lots of history. We currently race the 5th gen in the Trans Am series.

On the brakes, the SCCA rules allowed the 6 piston package but it carried a 100# weight penalty. Another 100# may not seem like much percentage wise, but the it does reduce lap times which has to be offset by braking distance and earlythrottle. With little time, we decided to test the 4 piston package first and had excellent results in race trim with aggressive race pads and tires. Very gratifying to see how the abs programming/algorithm is much better suited for race trim in the 6th gen.

Great questions and comments everyone...I'll try to be more timely. We are off to SEMA where our 2016 car will be on display with GM. From there direct to COTA and then Daytona for the last 2 Trans Am races. Seriously thinking about the 2016 car in Trans Am next year....lots of exciting things on the horizon.
Thanks for the great info
Questions please:
1. Did you install wheels spacers in the front. Which brand / size? I saw in your article that you used custom wheels. Did that save you the spacers ? If so what offset did they use?
2. Which brake pads do you use? I assume you are using stock rotors with the 4 pots.
3. Any insights on wheels alignment?

Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
drnapski
Total Performance Racing

Appreciate you feedback and happy to help.

We use wheel spacers for tuning purposes when a series or class has limited other suspension adjustments, like SCCA Touring 2. We designed our wheel offsets to allow for minor spacers to loosen or tighten the front or rear of the car as desired. Be sure to use hub centric spacers. We use the Eibach Pro Spacers from Summit. Our 3 piece wheels are made by Jongbloed Racing in California. Ryan Dettling there can make any wheel needed, 3 piece or 1 piece. Our fronts are 8.5" inners and 1.5" outers with a 25mm offset. Our rears are 9.5" inners and 1.5 outers with a 42 mm offset. Our custom TPR center sections will clear both the 4 piston and 6 piston Brembo calipers. Again this allows us to tune with spacers. In race trim and article pics above, we had no spacers in back and 15mm in front for Mid Ohio race.

We have done race testing with the stock pads, Hawk, and PMU. The PMU's are very aggressive and a bit much for the stock calipers and abs. The Hawk pads DTC-60's worked very well for us.

We are limited to -3.0 degrees of camber and were able to get that with stock spindles and no camber plates. If you track your car, adding some camber will make the car feel better in and out of the corners but you don't want to drive it that way on the street. We usually race with 1/16" toe out on the front each side and 1/16' toe in on the rear. Keep in mind this is driver preference and track specific.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Appreciate you feedback and happy to help.

We use wheel spacers for tuning purposes when a series or class has limited other suspension adjustments, like SCCA Touring 2. We designed our wheel offsets to allow for minor spacers to loosen or tighten the front or rear of the car as desired. Be sure to use hub centric spacers. We use the Eibach Pro Spacers from Summit. Our 3 piece wheels are made by Jongbloed Racing in California. Ryan Dettling there can make any wheel needed, 3 piece or 1 piece. Our fronts are 8.5" inners and 1.5" outers with a 25mm offset. Our rears are 9.5" inners and 1.5 outers with a 42 mm offset. Our custom TPR center sections will clear both the 4 piston and 6 piston Brembo calipers. Again this allows us to tune with spacers. In race trim and article pics above, we had no spacers in back and 15mm in front for Mid Ohio race.

We have done race testing with the stock pads, Hawk, and PMU. The PMU's are very aggressive and a bit much for the stock calipers and abs. The Hawk pads DTC-60's worked very well for us.

We are limited to -3.0 degrees of camber and were able to get that with stock spindles and no camber plates. If you track your car, adding some camber will make the car feel better in and out of the corners but you don't want to drive it that way on the street. We usually race with 1/16" toe out on the front each side and 1/16' toe in on the rear. Keep in mind this is driver preference and track specific.
Looking forward to seeing you racing next season! I miss seeing your 5th Gen in PWC.

So, with a regular McPherson strut and lowering springs you are at -3.0 degrees?

Any thoughts on any other modifications you are wanting/feeling would be beneficial? Sway bars? Bushings? Shifter (shorter)?

What lubes are you using?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #13
TheMaGikDucK

Quote:

Have you noticed your brake dust boots melting? Im using XP10s and have replaced the boots twice (not letting the pad get below ~50%). I have no fading issues and nothing else looks to be overheating.

It looks like high temp boots aren't available in the aspect ration on the 4 pots.
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 AM   #14
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaGikDucK View Post
Have you noticed your brake dust boots melting? Im using XP10s and have replaced the boots twice (not letting the pad get below ~50%). I have no fading issues and nothing else looks to be overheating.

It looks like high temp boots aren't available in the aspect ration on the 4 pots.
Are you using the cooling ducts? How hard is it to replace the boots? Part number?
I had fade issue on Summit Point with XP10. Replaced to XP12 , problem solved, however I used them all in 2 days

Tags
2016 camaro race, road race, scca