Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #57
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
As much as we would all like to see a higher stock LT4 number, I think it will be doubtful from GM. The limiting factor may be the smaller pullied 1.7L blower and the heat it generates. The Corvette Guys were left with an inefficient design, that Cadillac improved on, and Chevy probably solved in the new ZL1.

The C7 ZO6 Guys are already Installing an aftermarket blower and intercooler to push past what they've been given.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #58
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Drives: '69 RS Pro Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
As much as we would all like to see a higher stock LT4 number, I think it will be doubtful from GM. The limiting factor may be the smaller pullied 1.7L blower and the heat it generates. The Corvette Guys were left with an inefficient design, that Cadillac improved on, and Chevy probably solved in the new ZL1.

The C7 ZO6 Guys are already Installing an aftermarket blower and intercooler to push past what they've been given.
So what do you attribute that to? GM tests their vehicles before going into production. Do you believe they made compromises in order to produce the car in its current form, did they ignore the heat soak issues believing that it would affect few buyers overall or was it not a concern because they saw it was to be expected and never sought to address it?

Just curious since the claim now is that the ZL1 should be an improvement but does anyone really know that? I think not.
Heavymetal454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #59
2NASSTY

Not sure what you are asking, but if you are referring to heat soak issues in the C7 Z06. There are several threads on Corvette forums and independent tests where the Car Goes into limp mode during heat soak after 1 lap during track days.

The 3rd gen CTSV has the same motor with better cooling in a heavier platform. These new Caddys arent seeing this, but there are a lot less on the Road and not many owners running them on road course track days.

If you look how low the LT4 has to sit in the C7 Z06 and the limited front end cooling compared to the 3rd gen CTSV and new ZL1, those are some of the differences on how GM is solving the heat this small pullied blower makes.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #60
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
We've seen that the 2017 CTS-V and ZL1 will get a taller lid and the Z06 will also get changes. I'm hoping there will be bump in power associated with the "other changes".

Quote:
The 2017 Z06 will receive a new hood with improved cooling vents and some other changes “for additional cooling on the track."

http://www.motor1.com/news/65630/201...-improvements/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #61
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
Not sure what you are asking, but if you are referring to heat soak issues in the C7 Z06. There are several threads on Corvette forums and independent tests where the Car Goes into limp mode during heat soak after 1 lap during track days.

The 3rd gen CTSV has the same motor with better cooling in a heavier platform. These new Caddys arent seeing this, but there are a lot less on the Road and not many owners running them on road course track days.

If you look how low the LT4 has to sit in the C7 Z06 and the limited front end cooling compared to the 3rd gen CTSV and new ZL1, those are some of the differences on how GM is solving the heat this small pullied blower makes.
So the question is essentially wouldn't GM have anticipated or seen that issue during testing. I would imagine that more people would be tracking their Corvette than say the Geo Metro. I'm sure they wanted to achieve a balance between styling and functionality. They could have made the proposed changes before this became a known issue with consumers. I'm looking forward to this car as many others are as well. I'm just a bit surprised that something like that was put in production knowing that the result is going to become apparent and those folks will voice their concerns which leads to a slightly negative perception. I'm not letting that design choice impact me however since as a DD I feel confidant they have that covered.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #62
HCT

Drives: Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
HCT.I am curious if you or any other Hellcat A8 owner has tried to launch with the nannies engaged? My 392 was a handful netting me 12:90s with nannies off with them engaged it was 12:40s. I think most assume nannies will slow them down but it was the opposite for me.
They definitely help, for sure. But I think the traction control is simply more effective for the 392 than it is for the Hellcat. I don't know why.
HCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:12 PM   #63
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
the main problem with chevy´s Z06 is due to its bad eficiency with only 2valves/cyl.
The rest goes through heat and have to be cooled down which gives the next problem in small chassis. And as a top of bad engineering they put on a to small high revving blower which heat up the inlet air more than it should be.
I swear Fords coyote with a 2.9 ltr. whipple would do much better in the Corvette with no overheating and same cooler size.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #64
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
the main problem with chevy´s Z06 is due to its bad eficiency with only 2valves/cyl.
The rest goes through heat and have to be cooled down which gives the next problem in small chassis. And as a top of bad engineering they put on a to small high revving blower which heat up the inlet air more than it should be.
I swear Fords coyote with a 2.9 ltr. whipple would do much better in the Corvette with no overheating and same cooler size.
I can understand that position coming from Europe. 2 valves is not an issue. The fact that the Hellcat makes 750hp (not it's advertised 707) is testimony as is the Z06's 650, to the "efficiency" of a 2 valve per cylinder setup. Name another super car that has north of 650hp, isn't a hybrid and doesn't cost north of $200K that doesn't have a gas guzzler tax. I'll save you the Google, it's only the Z06.

EDIT: Only the Porsche 918 for $845,000 can match its track time and lack of gas guzzler. And we all know how Audi made its engines more "efficient".

The issue is over spinning a 1.7L PDB + a low hood and limited front section. Tadge says he and the engineers have it solved for 2017....we'll see.

Last edited by cvp33; 07-24-2016 at 03:51 PM.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #65
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
2 valves per cylinder is only an issue when displacement is limited. If I remember right, LS3 heads flow about as much as Coyote heads, despite having half the valves. The Coyote bore size is very limited, so they have to use smaller valves. The 6.2 liter bore diameter is much larger, so they can run a bigger valve without shrouding issues.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #66
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Which would weigh more,take up more space,and go a lot slower
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #67
2NASSTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetal454 View Post
So the question is essentially wouldn't GM have anticipated or seen that issue during testing. I would imagine that more people would be tracking their Corvette than say the Geo Metro. I'm sure they wanted to achieve a balance between styling and functionality. They could have made the proposed changes before this became a known issue with consumers. I'm looking forward to this car as many others are as well. I'm just a bit surprised that something like that was put in production knowing that the result is going to become apparent and those folks will voice their concerns which leads to a slightly negative perception. I'm not letting that design choice impact me however since as a DD I feel confidant they have that covered.
The only people that would truly know this would be the GM Corvette design and powertrain Teams. At the end of the day Vehicle Manufacturers have to sell Cars. Not sure why they went with a smaller pullied blower when the ZR1 larger 2.3L blower and packaging worked so well with similar power numbers in a LSA 7 years earlier.

I truly believe the new ZL1 and current CTSV have solved the overheating issues that are effecting the C7 Z06 when run hard on track days. GM put a heat protect mode in this Vette and also didn't allow it to be reved over 5000 rpm during the break-in period. That tells me they knew they had a problem but still had to build safeguards in the design to protect against excessive warranty claims.

I believe we are going to get the 3rd and best iteration of the LT4 design and packaging inside an outstanding platform. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #68
bluHawk141

Drives: 2015 Sierra
The 1.7 makes more hp/torque under the curve than the 2.3, that's why they went with that blower.
bluHawk141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #69
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Username checks out.

The heads are not even on the list of problems with the Z06.

The small chassis is one of the positives of the Vette although it doesn't help the cooling issue.

The high revving blower is an issue.

I'm not sure the coyote with S/C would fit without doing some of the things they are doing anyway to fix the heat issues in the Corvette.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #70
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

I believe we have our answer
Attached Images