Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Mustang vs Camaro at the Track

I like to drag race. But only off the street now that I am older and wiser. My street racing days on the streets of South Jersey and Phildelphia are long over. As we get older we hopefully get less stupid. Howerver for one prominent person, that wait is not working.

My track is Atco NJ. I started racing there when I bought my 2011 5th gen SS Camaro and been hooked ever since. And it's not just the fast cars and the fun of racing, it's the people you meet and the friends you make. There I met Pat, a die hard Ford guy and a skilled and crafty racer. He gets the most out every car he owns. He and I have a friendly competition between his Mustangs and my Camaros. But to be honest it's not much of a competition. I have only beat Pat a few number of times. And to be fair to me I only drive manuals and Pat autos. Pat wants to go fast, I want to have more fun.

Pat's current car is 2015 base Mustang GT auto with a Paxton supercharger, DRs, and not much else.

Here is my 5th Gen Camaro thread on the topic.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358442

It might be more of a blog than a forum thread but I enjoy writing it. Writing is another hobby of mine.

So now that I have 2016 I thought it would be fun to start another thread over here now that I have graduated to a 2016 Camaro. Loving it so far.

Below is my best run so far a 12.520@115.45. The car has more in it once I learn how to launch it, if I ever do. I also copied a run where I beat Pat. Yea, that's right my pure stock 2016 M6 SS beat a 600+ RWHP probably mid 10 second bad boy Mustang. I am representing! But to be fair to Pat his tune is still getting dialed in and and right now his car his car hits second so hard his car goes sideways even with fat MT DRs. It would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. I am sure Pat will get things right and I will be looking at those pretty Mustang tail lights again. I like Mustangs a lot, especially the new S550 version. And make no mistake about it 5.0s are fast and it does not take much to make them fly, just like the new Camaros.

Pics from that night:

And Now This:

And Later this:

Last edited by Fraxum; 07-25-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Drives: 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Looks like fun, I need to get back to the drag strip. That's where the difference in performance disappears between the two cars. Once modded the Camaro doesn't have that edge like it does stock for stock. Especially boost the Coyote loves boost.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
kcpoloman

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
WOW. Thats a terrible time for the mustang. A stock GT should be faster than that. And the trap speed is worse than a stock one too.
kcpoloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
WOW. Thats a terrible time for the mustang. A stock GT should be faster than that. And the trap speed is worse than a stock one too.
Did you read or jump to the timeslip? He stated the guy was dialing in the tune and let off because of getting loose on 2nd gear shift.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
kcpoloman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Did you read or jump to the timeslip? He stated the guy was dialing in the tune and let off because of getting loose on 2nd gear shift.
Still terrible.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Hey nice 12.5 pass and a very respectable 2.06 '60 !!!

When are the MT's going on ??
Old 05-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Quote:
Still terrible.
I would have done the same thing, got out of it and coast and take another stab at it. You are looking at the slip like it was a clean run. When shit goes bad you get out of it.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Still terrible.
if you're there to TEST and TUNE, you're not there for the times.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Very nice, for the 5.0 to run mid 12'September, they will need at least a tune. Test drive a few 5.0s and the SS. The midrange power on the SS is no joke. For that reason alone, I'm leaning towards an SS. Too old to be modding cars and mess with warranty.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Stock GT doing better than 12.5??

I have never in my life seen that. Stock GTS are running high 12's and low 13's. Getting them to hook is a pain and the added weight of the IRS didn't help
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post

I have never in my life seen that. Stock GTS are running high 12's and low 13's. Getting them to hook is a pain and the added weight of the IRS didn't help
Just because you haven't seen it, it doesn't exist? I can assure you auto GT's can and have been under 12.5 stock. I never saw a stock SS run under 12.3, doesn't mean they can't do it. I know they have been faster.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
kcpoloman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post

I'm was talking about the mustangs time on the time slip.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
6th Gen SS
LT-Won!

Drives: USB ISF 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I would have done the same thing, got out of it and coast and take another stab at it. You are looking at the slip like it was a clean run. When shit goes bad you get out of it.
Yep. Better than slamming into the wall
6th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
kcpoloman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
if you're there to TEST and TUNE, you're not there for the times.
Test and tune to adjust little things like tire pressure or suspension setup. If your car isn't properly tuned you definitely should not be racing it down a drag strip. Unless you don't care about blowing up.