Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Curious...Have you used your Track Deflector and Splash Shield kit yet?

I was surprised to find the "Track Deflector and Splash Shield kit in the trunk of my car. These parts are supposed to be installed before a track event and removed afterward. Included in the kit are instructions that state you must remove the brake caliper and install a plastic shield and remove the lower control arm deflector along with installing a shorter water deflector. There are warnings in the event you do not return it to "street" configuration after the track event.

Has anyone installed these items on their car yet?

The plastic bag these came in also holds the front license plate frame that I paid $15 for and will never use. Google the PDF file named 1AK37 which references all of the RPO codes for the 2016 Camaro with 2SS...very interesting. Save it on your desktop for future reference.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1

Last edited by ParisTNDude; 03-21-2016 at 11:02 PM.
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
Nataphen

Drives: None
Can you post pictures of the parts and instructions?
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
CAMAR0STEVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
I asked yesterday about this when I brought my car in. They told me it's only for track use
CAMAR0STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0STEVE View Post
I asked yesterday about this when I brought my car in. They told me it's only for track use

Read your manual. It's very clear about installation and usage. NOT recommended for normal street driving. I suspect many dealers just threw this stuff out during PDI, Just like the rear suspension covers.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Nataphen

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Read your manual. It's very clear about installation and usage. NOT recommended for normal street driving. I suspect many dealers just threw this stuff out during PDI, Just like the rear suspension covers.

What rear suspension covers? Do you have a picture?
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
suzook

Drives: camaro
So are the rear covers supposed to be on? Or off???? Does anyone know for sure?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Modshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
What rear suspension covers? Do you have a picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
So are the rear covers supposed to be on? Or off???? Does anyone know for sure?
The rear covers should be installed during PDI. The lower control arms are subject to lots of road grit. Chipping, peeling and rust will normally start here first. If you don't have them, insist that your dealer get them for you. They came in the parts bag that was in the trunk with the other plastic parts (front spoilers, Front plate holder, Track ducts for the front)..They just clip on with 4 push pins/side. Should take all of 2 minutes to do.
Check to see if your front Spoiler/deflectors are mounted in front of the front wheels too. GM spent a ton of time in the windtunnel...Be a shame to waste that..

Last edited by Modshack; 03-27-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
The covers should be installed during PDI. The lower control arms are subject to lots of road grit. Chipping, peeling and rust will normally start here first. If you don't have them, insist that your dealer get them for you. They came in the parts bag that was in the trunk with the other plastic parts (front spoilers, Front plate holder, Track ducts for the front)..They just clip on with 4 push pins/side. Should take all of 2 minutes to do.
Check to see if your front Spoiler/deflectors are mounted in front of the front wheels too. GM spent a ton of time in the windtunnel...Be a shame to waste that..

Great pictures! I couldn't see why they are so emphatic about removing these items for street use. Seems to me, if they're good for the track, they should be good for the street as well. Looks like you're leaving them on...right?

Since these track only items are included in non-MRC equipped SS cars and maybe others, I guess GM truly believes many will track their standard suspension Camaros.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
The covers should be installed during PDI. The lower control arms are subject to lots of road grit. Chipping, peeling and rust will normally start here first. If you don't have them, insist that your dealer get them for you. They came in the parts bag that was in the trunk with the other plastic parts (front spoilers, Front plate holder, Track ducts for the front)..They just clip on with 4 push pins/side. Should take all of 2 minutes to do.

Think its possible to get these for a 2013 ?

I would love to have them for my zl1
Old 03-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Modshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Great pictures! I couldn't see why they are so emphatic about removing these items for street use. Seems to me, if they're good for the track, they should be good for the street as well. Looks like you're leaving them on...right?

Since these track only items are included in non-MRC equipped SS cars and maybe others, I guess GM truly believes many will track their standard suspension Camaros.
These are the rear covers that are meant to be installed at PDI on all cars. I was responding to the question posted about them. They have nothing to do with the front parts (Deflector and splash shield) or track prep. See my above post regarding Protection of the lower control arm..
Old 03-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
I installed mine about a month ago. I don't plan on taking that out every time I come back from track event.

Major difference it makes:
1) It removes front air dam/deflector (under the front bumper), and adds an air deflector that will channel air to brake, instead. Quite a smart design. Not as good as brake ducts you buy for racing but hey,,, this was included with a car from GM. I'll take it.
2) It removes the big shield behind the rotor, and add very tiny one.

I daily drive my Camaro, so it will be exposed to winter driving (snow, salt, etc...) but I'll also wash my car often to prevent any corrosion.

It will definitely help with brake cooling on track.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
I daily drive my Camaro, so it will be exposed to winter driving (snow, salt, etc...) but I'll also wash my car often to prevent any corrosion.
With the track vents installed driving in snow, I'd be worried about creating a snow plow condition and it funneling a lot of snow over to your tires or outright sheering the plastic right off the car..
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #13
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
With the track vents installed driving in snow, I'd be worried about creating a snow plow condition and it funneling a lot of snow over to your tires or outright sheering the plastic right off the car..
That's possible, but the deflector doesn't stick down that far. If snow on the road is that high, I'll have other problems.
(I'll probably drive my company pool car, tiny Buick Encore just for those days...)

We get quite a lot of snow in Michigan, but because we get snow all the time, they usually plow it well.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
That's possible, but the deflector doesn't stick down that far. If snow on the road is that high, I'll have other problems.
(I'll probably drive my company pool car, tiny Buick Encore just for those days...)

We get quite a lot of snow in Michigan, but because we get snow all the time, they usually plow it well.
I only mention it because I'm that kind of knucklehead that drove both of the below through Chicago snow as well and for different reasons, both did the snow plow thing.

I've not had my track vents installed yet and have only seen a few pics, so I don't know how low they sit -- just visualized a plastic ice scooper under the car. Not how I'd like to make sno cones.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote