Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #26
PeeBee

 
PeeBee's Avatar
 
Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Luxemburg
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC View Post
you pay more for less now with that car.
Sometimes less IS more...

And beside, you get more cubic inches
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
Aldrich Z06
 
Aldrich Z06's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 z06,10 2SS/RS, 04 Duramax,11 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chesnee S.C.
Posts: 87
The first Z28 I ever saw was a new 68 red with black stripes my friend bought back in 68. To me that's the real Z28.
No sunroof and targa tops for me. I've had four vettes with the targa tops and all it is for is to catch wind and make noise. But everyones different and likes differents things. On the new Camaro the sunroof takes away from the contour of the roof I think.
__________________
02 Z06
04 Duramax
14 335
69 Camaro
10 2SS/RS Camaro
Aldrich Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
lbls1

 
lbls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Now that the lengendary Z/28 will be released, how about those whom were born in a era when they knew a Z28? A T-top 6 Gen Z28? Not I take anything away from the Z/28 or ZL1 but it could be done...I wished the Z28 returned however, but GM did a switcheroo and went back to the heritage of the Z/28.

I ended up driving in a neighborhood where my cousin lives and spotted this t-top Z28 and just made me think, damn that looks sexy.
Believe me I know them all too well!
__________________
'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'09 Malibu LT Dark Gray Metallic

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
All 3 of my 4th gens have had t-tops; I had a t-top '89 IROC and hardtop '91 Z28.

With that said, I rarely take the tops out. It is a nice novelty, but with how I use my vehicles, I prefer the hardtop. I've only purchased preowned Camaros, so I've taken what I could find; however, I will order my 6th gen as a hardtop even if one is able to choose t-tops/targa top.

I figure that if I want to open up the roof then I'd just buy a convertible.
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
All 3 of my 4th gens have had t-tops; I had a t-top '89 IROC and hardtop '91 Z28.

With that said, I rarely take the tops out. It is a nice novelty, but with how I use my vehicles, I prefer the hardtop. I've only purchased preowned Camaros, so I've taken what I could find; however, I will order my 6th gen as a hardtop even if one is able to choose t-tops/targa top.

I figure that if I want to open up the roof then I'd just buy a convertible.
To each their own. When I'm driving my FBody in the warm weather months, I want to be able to enjoy the warm weather... you simply can't do that with a 5th gen unless it's a convertible. You roll the windows down and yeah you get a little bit of wind, but nothing compares to popping the t-tops off and having that open air feeling without sacrificing having a "hard top" when the weather isn't nice out.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #31
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC View Post
Personally I love what they have done with the Z-28, but they should have put the LT-1 in it. Coming from the factory without a radio and things like that do not appeal to people the same way as they did in the 60's because you pay more for less now with that car.
What does the LT1 offer over the LS7?
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
To each their own. When I'm driving my FBody in the warm weather months, I want to be able to enjoy the warm weather... you simply can't do that with a 5th gen unless it's a convertible. You roll the windows down and yeah you get a little bit of wind, but nothing compares to popping the t-tops off and having that open air feeling without sacrificing having a "hard top" when the weather isn't nice out.
I hear what you're saying I used to always have mine out in my IROC and first LS1 car. As my interests have changed as to the reason I drive my Camaros (from mostly cruising to now beating the snot out of it!), I want less frills. This is why I wouldn't discourage GM from making t-tops again; however, I personally wouldn't be opting for them.
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
omgitsmikeyC
Mike
 
omgitsmikeyC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Anniversary 2 SS auto
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 976
Lt1 offers direct injection which means a higher fuel pressure capable of handling turbo and supercharger upgrades better. I believe it's also a lighter motor and has Vvt. It's been a while since I read the motor specs but a no gas guzzler capable of 500hp from the factory is pretty sweet.
__________________
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary/Auto
going back to stock
Metroplex Muscle Car Club
Lonestar Camaro Club
omgitsmikeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
omgitsmikeyC
Mike
 
omgitsmikeyC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Anniversary 2 SS auto
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 976
Here's an article on it. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ngine_details/
__________________
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary/Auto
going back to stock
Metroplex Muscle Car Club
Lonestar Camaro Club
omgitsmikeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #35
Verbolten
 
Drives: someday a convertible
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 266
Z/28 and a Z/28R would have made Chevy a boat load of money. It's alot harder to make a car Show and GO.
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #36
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Believe me I know them all too well!
Lol. Just pure sexiness!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,552
For sure a sunroof will cost you helmet room. I imagine that a T-top would as well.

Besides, if you soften the character of this Z/28 that far, there isn't enough reason to build the rest of its hardcore track day goodness into it.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #38
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC View Post
Lt1 offers direct injection which means a higher fuel pressure capable of handling turbo and supercharger upgrades better. I believe it's also a lighter motor and has Vvt. It's been a while since I read the motor specs but a no gas guzzler capable of 500hp from the factory is pretty sweet.
I'm talking about in stock form.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #39
omgitsmikeyC
Mike
 
omgitsmikeyC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Anniversary 2 SS auto
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 976
In stock better mileage, lighter weight and about 30hp and 20 tq less. No gas guzzler tax for owner.
__________________
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary/Auto
going back to stock
Metroplex Muscle Car Club
Lonestar Camaro Club
omgitsmikeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS
 
ICTsccaCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 683
Main thing I love about that 4th gen is the amazing Autozone "racing" seat covers currently saving up for our set of them ourselves
__________________
2014 Summit White 1LE 2SS/RS, Recaros, NPP, NAV, Elite Gen2 CC, ZL1 splash guards, ZL1 pedals, Exhaust Commander
Previous 2012 Black 2LT/RS, Fully 1LE swapped

Wichita Region SCCA Autocross
#23 FS
http://www.wichitascca.org/SoloII.html
ICTsccaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #41
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
For sure a sunroof will cost you helmet room. I imagine that a T-top would as well.

Besides, if you soften the character of this Z/28 that far, there isn't enough reason to build the rest of its hardcore track day goodness into it.


Norm
There is always the COPO *COUGH*
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #42
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
There is always the COPO *COUGH*


Give it up. We know you don't want the Z/28 to top your ZL1 but it's getting old. Enjoy your car. It's still an awesome machine.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #43
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
There is always the COPO *COUGH*
Not for the activities I'd be wearing a helmet for. Sorry.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #44
motorhead
bars suck
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
There is always the COPO *COUGH*
The COPO isn't a track car ,but rather drag car. I love the direction that GM took with the Z/28. That is what is should be. The watered down gen 4 was a Z28 in name only.

The 60's cars made the name. The gen 4s just used the name for marketing to try and sell a mediocre car with slumping sales.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #45
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post


Give it up. We know you don't want the Z/28 to top your ZL1 but it's getting old. Enjoy your car. It's still an awesome machine.
It has nothing to do with topping the ZL1, lol. I didn't buy it because it was the big in HP. I would have went with the GT500 if that was the case. Don't add assumptions to the thread, or assuming you know my motives which are wrong. And yes I will continue to drive this awesome machine. Enjoy yours as well, GM did a fantastic job on the 5th Gen.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 06-04-2013 at 08:29 AM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #46
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The COPO isn't a track car ,but rather drag car. I love the direction that GM took with the Z/28. That is what is should be. The watered down gen 4 was a Z28 in name only.

The 60's cars made the name. The gen 4s just used the name for marketing to try and sell a mediocre car with slumping sales.
Except that every "performance" vehicle in the Chevrolet stable during the 80's & 90's used "Zxx" nomenclature. Considering the slash was ditched in 1982, then it's quite incorrect to state the 4th gen was a Z28 in name only. There are several people, Scott Settlemire included, who would easily be able to usurp that comment.
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #47
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
Targa.....Targa.....Targa!!!

Let me ask you this: How do you propose removing the top?


Keep in mind that the Camaro is quite a bit taller and wider than a Corvette....

one would have to be well over 6 feet tall and strong to be able to lift it on or off.

My proof: Ask someone who witnessed what I did to a pre-production Corvette C6 in Atlanta at the Atlanta Gathering on a hot day as a storm approached....



...it did not end well.........

The other issue is structural rigidity - one thing that sets a 5th gen far apart from a 4th and 3rd gen is the structural rigidity.......
__________________
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #48
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Let me ask you this: How do you propose removing the top?


Keep in mind that the Camaro is quite a bit taller and wider than a Corvette....

one would have to be well over 6 feet tall and strong to be able to lift it on or off.

My proof: Ask someone who witnessed what I did to a pre-production Corvette C6 in Atlanta at the Atlanta Gathering on a hot day as a storm approached....



...it did not end well.........

The other issue is structural rigidity - one thing that sets a 5th gen far apart from a 4th and 3rd gen is the structural rigidity.......
I'm 6'2 and 235lbs!

Thank you for clearing it up though, sir. Very much appreciated!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
It has nothing to do with topping the ZL1, lol. I didn't buy it because it was the big in HP. I would have went with the GT500 if that was the case. Don't add assumptions to the thread, or assuming you know my motives which are wrong. And yes I will continue to drive this awesome machine. Enjoy yours as well, GM did a fantastic job on the 5th Gen.
Then why so you keep saying GM should build the lesser car?
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #50
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Then why so you keep saying GM should build the lesser car?
Is your 1998 Z28 a lesser car?
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.