Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #239
2010-1SS-IBM

 
Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
Tell me why you think adding power to the car would be harder with a turbocharged 4-cylinder than it is with a naturally aspirated 6. Examine the turbo 4 cylinders currently on the market with similar power levels to the v6 camaro. Each and every one of them will pick up far more power than the v6 camaro per dollar spent
No, they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
These forums are indicative of opinions of current owners. They are less than targeted at potential owners of a yet-to-be-offered drivetrain option.
Wrong. There are plenty of future Camaro owners on this site, and current Camaro owners who want to upgrade. Hell, there's even a ton of jealous Mustang fanboys. None of them came here to cheer on a 4 cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
If all GM did with new models was appeal to current owners their market base would fall apart with every new generation. It also seems that the first few pages, before the thread was overrun with bickering, had a pretty balanced sample with quite a bit of approval for a turbo 4. The fact that Ford is going to offer an ecoboost 4 and the success of the ecoboost 6 in the f150 are indicative of a very receptive market for turbocharged, smaller displacement drivetrains in what have historically been large-displacement vehicles.
And the fact that the Camaro is the best selling car in it's class is proof that the market is actually receptive to big displacement engines.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #240
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
And the fact that the Camaro is the best selling car in it's class is proof that the market is actually receptive to big displacement engines.
I never understood why people want to change the camaro into something it is not, when there are already dozens of those other things out there to choose from.

If you want a econobox, get one.
If you want a WRX, go get one.

You don't see people here trying to make the Camaro into a pickup, do you?

What is it with these small displacement guys that prevents them from seeing the illogic of their efforts?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #241
fielderLS3


 
fielderLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,981
Small displacement and turbo-charging is a little like skip-shift. It produces small efficiency increases on the EPA's dynos, but does nothing for you in real world driving other than adding an extra layer of completely unnecessary cost and complexity to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
What is it with these small displacement guys that prevents them from seeing the illogic of their efforts?
It's the rally cry of the already defeated....of those who have accepted that it is the proper for a regulatory agency to dictate what we can drive. Saying "it's fine, it's the same...in fact it's probably better," is a mental defense mechanism that helps the formerly free to deceive themselves into thinking they are still free.
__________________
"Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6"

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #242
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I never understood why people want to change the camaro into something it is not, when there are already dozens of those other things out there to choose from.

I could never understand why some people have such a RTC factor in their life. Change is a good thing and should be embraced. Without change, life becomes very stagnate.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #243
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I never understood why people want to change the camaro into something it is not, when there are already dozens of those other things out there to choose from.

If you want a econobox, get one.
If you want a WRX, go get one.
Nobody is suggesting that the Camaro become either of those things (hint: virtually all of those "alternatives" are 4-door sedans with styling that ranges between bland and downright odd).

I can't help it that "4 cylinders" carries such an econobox stigma, but performance on par with today's sixxer is not econobox country.

I realize this is a "function before form" point of view, but once you're planning on having "X" amount of performance available, how you get there is less important than getting there in the first place. People need to get it through their skulls that nobody here is suggesting a Camaro version that can't even break into the 15's. Low to mid 14's is an entirely acceptable entry point.

But why anybody who overwhelmingly prefers a V8 version should care how the entry point is configured just isn't making much sense here, as they'd all be somebody else's cars regardless. There's no need to feel offended any more than you'd have reason to feel that way by anybody else's SS that was equipped with the "other" transmission. Same deal about different people, different needs or preferences, different choices.

The pickup suggestion is just a distraction into silliness.


Quote:
What is it with these small displacement guys that prevents them from seeing the illogic of their efforts?
Perhaps the logical error lies in the apparent premise that nothing but a large displacement V8 can ever be any good (and that the sixxers get grandfathered in as marginally OK under an appeal to antiquity).

Before you judge, fully half of the cars I've owned were/are powered by V8's. I happen to prefer normally aspirated engines for a variety of reasons, and want to see at least one liter of engine displacement per 750 lbs of car weight (1L per 600 lbs being better still). If you do a little math starting with typical ponycar weights, you'll find exactly one engine configuration that fills the bill for me.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #244
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
In your world an ant can beat up a human because the ant can lift 50 times his body weight and a human can only lift one.

Now that your straw man has been incinerated, why not compare engines in the SAME vehicle against each other???
Nah, in my world, bumblebees fly when theoretically they shouldn't just like an F-4 Phantom isn't supposed to fly, yet it does, and even little 50cc mopeds strapped with a little T-too-tiny turbo whoops ass on a WRX Sti in a 1/4 mile.

Wasn't this you?

"A lightly boosted V6 will run circles around a lightly boosted I-4, so the I-4 will need more radical components to handle higher boost just to keep up with the V6. That means for the same level of performance you will shell out more money for the I-4, and have less headroom to tune it because it will already be pushed closer to the limit just to feel like a mildly boosted V6."

Sounds like you were speaking in general. You didn't state anything regarding make/model/type. I speak from what I know- turbocharged I-4s beating the crap out of V-6 and V-8s with FI. Look for the FACTS all around you.

Before you make generalized statements, maybe you should actually state what is already a reality. There's no such thing as an I-4T in a 5th Gen. You are like the others hypothesizing on the nonexistent. I'll be glad if they do come out with an I-4T in a 6th Gen (granted, if a 6th Gen even is released), and there will be someone to make it a point to you that you are full of BS, again...

Captain Awesome? Maybe in your world with all your babble-speak, but just another faceless person in a crowd of others.
__________________
2013 2SS/RS-package Black w/IOM interior 6M
Bone Stock
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #245
Lou_Dorchen
 
Lou_Dorchen's Avatar
 
Drives: Jeep
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I could never understand why some people have such a RTC factor in their life. Change is a good thing and should be embraced. Without change, life becomes very stagnate.
Having someone tell you how to live every facet of your life is so much better than having the freedom to make your own decisions.

Sometimes not changing is just fine. I love my wife and I plan to live the rest of my life with her. I don't feel the need to change partners every few years. But I guess my marriage really isn't happy, its actually stagnant.
__________________
'It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.' -Samuel Adams

Last edited by Lou_Dorchen; 02-15-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #246
Lou_Dorchen
 
Lou_Dorchen's Avatar
 
Drives: Jeep
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
"A lightly boosted V6 will run circles around a lightly boosted I-4, so the I-4 will need more radical components to handle higher boost just to keep up with the V6. That means for the same level of performance you will shell out more money for the I-4, and have less headroom to tune it because it will already be pushed closer to the limit just to feel like a mildly boosted V6."

Sounds like you were speaking in general. You didn't state anything regarding make/model/type. I speak from what I know- turbocharged I-4s beating the crap out of V-6 and V-8s with FI. Look for the FACTS all around you.
He clarified that he was talking about the engines being in the SAME car (Post #231). For example, if I lightly boosted a 2011 Camaro SS and you lightly boosted a 2011 Camaro LS, the Camaro SS would be faster. Of course you could increase your boost and might be able to put out more power than me, but my motor would be more reliable. But then I could also increase my boost and I would once again be faster and we both would have engines that aren't going to have very long lives.
__________________
'It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.' -Samuel Adams
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #247
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
Having someone tell you how to live every facet of your life is so much better than having the freedom to make your own decisions.

Sometimes not changing is just fine. I love my wife and I plan to live the rest of my life with her. I don't feel the need to change partners every few years. But I guess my marriage really isn't happy, its actually stagnant.
You mean to tell us you never make changes in your daily life ? You never watch new TV shows, try new restaurants, wear a new style of clothes ? Nobody is forcing you to do anything, just because you don't care for something that is being offered, shouldn't mean it shouldn't be offered at all to others. Whether you like it or not, change is inevitble , and without change there is no future.

As a side note, it you don't switch it up with your wife, someone else will ...
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #248
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
He clarified that he was talking about the engines being in the SAME car (Post #231). For example, if I lightly boosted a 2011 Camaro SS and you lightly boosted a 2011 Camaro LS, the Camaro SS would be faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
A lightly boosted V6 will run circles around a lightly boosted I-4, so the I-4 will need more radical components to handle higher boost just to keep up with the V6. That means for the same level of performance you will shell out more money for the I-4, and have less headroom to tune it because it will already be pushed closer to the limit just to feel like a mildly boosted V6.
Which as demonstrations of the obvious intended to show "inferiority" are still distractions from the topic. It would be a different story if there already was a boosted sixxer in the lineup.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #249
revychevy
 
revychevy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St Louis mo.
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I could never understand why some people have such a RTC factor in their life. Change is a good thing and should be embraced. Without change, life becomes very stagnate.
Change is not ALWAYS a good thing. Sometimes things change for the worse. Duh.
__________________
2SS RS bone stock for now...
revychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #250
Lou_Dorchen
 
Lou_Dorchen's Avatar
 
Drives: Jeep
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
just because you don't care for something that is being offered, shouldn't mean it shouldn't be offered at all to others.
I agree. But that's not how these people think. When they dont like things, they ban them. They dont believe in choices, unless you make the "correct" choices.

Come March 1st I wont be able to get plastic grocery bags anymore because a few people in power here don't care for them. And now they aren't offered to others. Again, those same type of people who dont like things like Happy Meals, Big Gulps, and plastic bags and have banned them dont like "gas guzzlers" either. And they are running the EPA and the Dept of Energy....

I'm not trying to be Chicken Little here, but looking at their past actions every car enthusiast should be concerned.
__________________
'It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.' -Samuel Adams
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #251
Lou_Dorchen
 
Lou_Dorchen's Avatar
 
Drives: Jeep
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 269
If people stop buying V8s and demand 75mpg sports cars, that's life. So then if GM stoppped putting V8s in Camaros and only offered an NA 4-banger, fine. As long as the market, and not the Government, forced them to make that decision I'm ok with it. What I'm not ok with is the Government limiting (or taking away) my choices.
__________________
'It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.' -Samuel Adams
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #252
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
Change is not ALWAYS a good thing. Sometimes things change for the worse. Duh.
Worse for you maybe yes, but not necessarily for others. That's where survival kicks in and just learn to accept and go with the flow. In other words in life you change the things you can and embrace the things you can't.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.