Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions

Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #176
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle ss396
Robots do not care what country they work in nor do they care what car they build. They do not come to work in a bad mood an they do not get paid overtime. The Camaro has alot of robotics involved and they will become more involved as time marches on. Good luck in your next venture Canada. The Camaro will be in good hands as long as GM engineering does it's homework and the bean counters stay away from design.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #177
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Robots do not care what country they work in nor do they care what car they build. They do not come to work in a bad mood an they do not get paid overtime. The Camaro has alot of robotics involved and they will become more involved as time marches on. Good luck in your next venture Canada. The Camaro will be in good hands as long as GM engineering does it's homework and the bean counters stay away from design.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #178
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
GM to move Camaro production from Ontario to Lansing plant

By Melissa Burden
The Detroit News

The Camaro is a rear-wheel drive vehicle, as are the CTS and ATS, built in Lansing. (GM)

General Motors Co. will move production of the Chevrolet Camaro from Oshawa, Ontario, to its Lansing Grand River plant, the automaker announced Wednesday.

GM will move the next generation of the muscle car from Ontario to the Lansing plant, which builds the Cadillac CTS and ATS. The shift is likely to occur within a few years.

The last all-new Camaro came for the 2010 model year.

GM, in a statement, cited lower capital investments and production efficiencies as a key factor for moving production of the vehicle.

The Camaro is built in Oshawa on the same line as the Buick Regal and Cadillac XTS. Oshawa will build the next-generation Chevrolet Impala. Those cars are front-wheel drive models.

The Camaro is a rear-wheel drive vehicle, as are the CTS and ATS, built in Lansing, currently a two-shift plant.

Sales of the Camaro year-to-date through November are down 3.6 percent compared with the same period in 2011.

Karl Henkel contributed.

mburden@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2FWLCAZLR
So it has NOTHING to do with right to work FOR LESS!
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #179
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
So it has NOTHING to do with right to work FOR LESS!
Correct. I spoke to the manufacturing executive who came right out and said it, in fact.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #180
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M; '95 V6 Red Vert
What about the Bel-Aire, Biscayne, and Nomad?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #181
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFJeeper View Post
Flame me if you want, but I am not real pleased with this. I am planning on upgrading my LT2 to a Z28, if and when it is made. I am impressed with the quality of my 2010. It has not given me any trouble and I salute the Oshawa plant. On the ohter hand, I blame the UAW in large part for the failure of American built cars. Just recently those guys that got fired for drinking and smoking dope at lunch were just rehired at a judages orders. I do not trust them at all.

Please dont screw up my Camaro.
Your Camaro was made by Canadian UAW, which broke off from American UAW as the USA UAW was seen as too lenient.

Write to Michael Moore, Flint, MI, ha.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #182
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Great so the 6th Gen guys are gonna tout that they have an "American" made Camaro as to our "Canadian" made lol.

Well Canada brought us hockey, Labatt's, maple syrup and Eliza Dushku, so I will take the 5th Gen as well :-P
The fact of the matter is, if your car is made in USA, Canada, and Mexico, it is a North American car.

North America is in great shape for the next 100yrs if not longer.

Face it, the only reason Canada is a country is the USA allows it to be. No better neighbor does Canada have. California has more people than all of Canada. If USA wanted to annex Canada, it could have, but colonies cost too much these days. If USA didn't protect Canada from USSR/Russia, it would be a Russian province.

Ditto for Mexico, and what a train wreck that dump is. Place could be bulldozed over and do a makeover, I know, I lived there for a while. Country should be in better shape than USA, besides all-year growing season, it has oil, gold, silver, seafood, the works. Nope, no good. The country since the Conquistordes has been ruled by about 1% of the population, sound familiar?

Finally, I am a history buff, may get my doctorate in it, who knows, but look at all the places England colonized, then check which ones the Spanish, French, and Germans did. See which ones are doing good today and which aren't. England: USA, Canada, Australia, N. Zealand, all doing fine. Spain: Everything south of Texas (and could you imagine that still Mexican, ha, although they are trying, but their toilets still flush with toilet paper), Spanish Morocco... As for France: Chad, Viet Nam, Laos, need I go on about that...........and who cares about the Germans, they are arrogant.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #183
zl1fun

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 1029 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
If it did then Michigan is already reaping the benefits of right to work and personal freedom.

???? benefits of right to work state....right to work...for less...with no benefits...is that the personal freedom you speak of??
zl1fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #184
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I retired from the Lansing, Mi. G.M Plant Operations ( Main Plant before the Grand River Plant ), I think I can shed some light on why the Camaro is going to Lansing.

Lets start with why the Oshawa plant got the Camaro in the first, there's several reasons to pick from. The top two reason G.M pulled the Camaro from the St. Therese plant where poor quality and work force to match.......G.M closed there doors and said good riddance to a plant they should have closed years earlier.

G.M has other plans for the Oshawa plant, because the work force there has shown they can build a quality product and also work with G.M they will have plenty of work to do in the future.

The same goes for the Lansing Grand River plant, there work force builds a quality product and also has worked well with G.M for many many years. The workers in the G.R Plant look forward to building you your next Camao with the same pride as the workers in Oshawa Plant do today.

When I started working for G.M ( 1966 ) we were building 442's, W-30's, W-31's and Ram Rods, what a great time for the young workers today at the G.R Plant to remember when they get old like me.

One other thing, to think the right to work law had anything to do with Lansing getting the Camaro is stupid.....the governor of the Michigan might like you to believe it did but that's because he's a stupid man.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #185
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
I too, love my Canadian built 2013 Camaro. The Oshawa plant has achieved one of the most highest rating by JD Powers for least amount of mistakes made on a car, much less a muscle car, like the Camaro. I am American, and an ex-marine, so I love the US, but lets face it, American auto workers in the past have not done too well in terms of quality built vehicles. I am not bashing anyone, or anything, just stating facts. I had a 1990 Camaro z-28, and it was plagued with problems from the GM van nuys Ca plant. Back then, it was constant in the news, they were whining for more money, but quality was worse. Now, since 2010, thru 2013, ( not sure how the last year will pan out, if the Oshawa workers are disgruntled...) we had a real nice, solid, tight, car! No rattles, squeaks, etc...and it was a Camaro!!!
I love my car. I am crazy anxious about the 6th gen. Will I keep the 2013, or wait until its 50th anniversary in 2017, when my car would have been paid off anyways..I hope Americans will take pride in the car returning home to the US again, and not let the unions try to muscle in on them like they always do. Oshawa will survive, but if our younger US work force does drop the ball on this car....We may all regret the move away from the Oshawa plant.
Like I said, I had a 1990, and even the dealer stated that most, if not all, of those issues of that car was related to poor workmanship, and lack of pride at GM van nuys.
And I loved that car, but the 2013 Camaro 2ss simply blows the old z28 away in everything.
Here is hoping the Lansing Team will make each car with the same amount of pride as it was made at Oshawa. The problem with production lines, are cars soon become just another thing going down an endless line, day in day out. If the work force is not dedicated, and mature enough, its easy to slip, and miss things. But eventually, that missed, or slipped car will end up in someone's drive way.....then the pain begins.
danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #186
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl View Post
I too, love my Canadian built 2013 Camaro. The Oshawa plant has achieved one of the most highest rating by JD Powers for least amount of mistakes made on a car, much less a muscle car, like the Camaro. I am American, and an ex-marine, so I love the US, but lets face it, American auto workers in the past have not done too well in terms of quality built vehicles. I am not bashing anyone, or anything, just stating facts. I had a 1990 Camaro z-28, and it was plagued with problems from the GM van nuys Ca plant. Back then, it was constant in the news, they were whining for more money, but quality was worse. Now, since 2010, thru 2013, ( not sure how the last year will pan out, if the Oshawa workers are disgruntled...) we had a real nice, solid, tight, car! No rattles, squeaks, etc...and it was a Camaro!!!
I love my car. I am crazy anxious about the 6th gen. Will I keep the 2013, or wait until its 50th anniversary in 2017, when my car would have been paid off anyways..I hope Americans will take pride in the car returning home to the US again, and not let the unions try to muscle in on them like they always do. Oshawa will survive, but if our younger US work force does drop the ball on this car....We may all regret the move away from the Oshawa plant.
Like I said, I had a 1990, and even the dealer stated that most, if not all, of those issues of that car was related to poor workmanship, and lack of pride at GM van nuys.
And I loved that car, but the 2013 Camaro 2ss simply blows the old z28 away in everything.
Here is hoping the Lansing Team will make each car with the same amount of pride as it was made at Oshawa. The problem with production lines, are cars soon become just another thing going down an endless line, day in day out. If the work force is not dedicated, and mature enough, its easy to slip, and miss things. But eventually, that missed, or slipped car will end up in someone's drive way.....then the pain begins.
Not to start an argument but comparing a 3rd gen to a 5th gen quality wise isn't even fair. Heck comparing anything from the early 80's to now isn't fair. I think given the new chassis and technology the next CAMARO will be of high quality. Just as a reference look at the vette it's built here in the states.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #187
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Camaro is going to LGR because it's going on Alpha. Guess what's built at LGR? Alpha-based Cadillac ATS and CTS.

It's a no-brainer.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #188
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Camaro is going to LGR because it's going on Alpha. Guess what's built at LGR? Alpha-based Cadillac ATS and CTS.

It's a no-brainer.
But will people stop complaining about paint quality?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #189
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
But will people stop complaining about paint quality?
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #190
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Robots do not care what country they work in nor do they care what car they build. They do not come to work in a bad mood an they ____>>>>>>_do not get paid overtime.<<<<< The Camaro has alot of robotics involved and they will become more involved as time marches on. Good luck in your next venture Canada. The Camaro will be in good hands as long as GM engineering does it's homework and the bean counters stay away from design.
Didn't know that the robots get pay at all , now I do
Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #191
ProfArronax

Drives: 2011 2LT-RS SIM 6A
Send a message via Skype™ to ProfArronax
All I can say, is my 2011 Canadian built Camaro has been and continues to be the best, most trouble free car I've ever owned. I've never driven a 6 cylinder powered vehicle that has the JUMP that this little beast does. No rattles, no buzzes, no leaks... Drop her into Sport mode, hit the gas and she's GONE. Well done, GM.
?? Headers
ProfArronax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #192
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
I would say the Oshawa and other Canadian operations were created to work around the health care and pension costs of US workers.

We're past that now as everyone, including GM, builds cars that can be assembled easily, and therefore successfully in terms of quality and consistency, by robots and humans.

The current Camaro's Zeta platform happened to be designed in Australia. The Epsilon platform, the best front drive platform currently, was designed in Germany. It seems US engineering leadership was a miss until recently too.

In the middle of this mess there were bright spots of US leadership that made the Corvette and the Cadillacs world class. The Volt is a very cool product that will help GM balance sales of performance vehicles and trucks.

The Alpha platform was designed under US leadership and looks to be fantastic. Somehow engineers were allowed to actually design a great car platform in the US. This coupled with a cleared stack on the manufacturing side points to a really good competitive position for GM. The next Camaro should be excellent as long as the same guys that brought us the current Camaros and Cadillacs still own the product decisions.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #193
1chasingspeed

Drives: a6 yellow 2ss/rs
Hope this is true. I want these cars built here where they should be. Now if only we could also open some factories to actually make the parts they're constructed of. Just sayin.
1chasingspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #194
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Since production is moving to the US, does anyone think that might mean we could get a factory delivery option? A buyers tour is probably too much to ask...
OperativeXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #195
WATCHER
My Wife's Cool Guy

Drives: 2013 Coupe RS NAVY BLUE
MY GOODNESS!!!!!
a WHOLE LOTTA BLAH, BLAH, BLAH !
(VOLT will be a footnote in history...subsidized by the government, artificial demand created by the same government...who CARES?)

Isn't this a CAMARO site?

What is REALLY significant is the impact that the ATS platform has on the engineering, competence and STYLE of the 2016 CAMARO.

Probably want to look at the ATS COUPE and SQUINT a lot. ;-)
Pretend the headlights are horizontal-ish though. (thank goodness and the stylists)
Cadillac will NOT want you to confuse anything with their (ugly) vertical light theme.

Or haven't you all noticed that while you are arguing about plant location, the underpinnings of the 2016 Camaro are being gently introduced to you via the 2015 ATS COUPE?
WATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #196
mike@vossen

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
Since production is moving to the US, does anyone think that might mean we could get a factory delivery option? A buyers tour is probably too much to ask...
That would be very interesting….
mike@vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #197
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@vossen View Post
That would be very interesting….
They used to run tours through the Lansing plants when I was a kid. Regret I never went on one. When you grow up around stuff, it seems kind of mundane and ordinary. You don't always realize how special it might be; until you go out in the world and look back.

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #198
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Awesome...
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #199
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post

Face it, the only reason Canada is a country is the USA allows it to be. No better neighbor does Canada have. California has more people than all of Canada. If USA wanted to annex Canada, it could have, but colonies cost too much these days. If USA didn't protect Canada from USSR/Russia, it would be a Russian province. .
Really???? Does the war of 1812 ring any bells?? Remember when the US tried annex us and we went South and burned down the Whitehouse before we went back home for some beers?

Anyway, where the Camaro is made is much less to do with location than it is a function of wages, IMO. Pay a worker a living wage they he/she can live on and feed their family and prosper and they will show up, have pride in their work and build a quality car.

Now take that same set up and pay the employee half so they are scraping by and how long until that worker is pissed and starts looking for a better paying job. Now their eye is off the game and things go for crap. Can the US build a quality car? No doubt in my mind. Can they do it paying substandard wages and and not paying those employees what is considered a living wage? Very unlikely.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #200
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Really???? Does the war of 1812 ring any bells?? Remember when the US tried annex us and we went South and burned down the Whitehouse before we went back home for some beers?

Anyway, where the Camaro is made is much less to do with location than it is a function of wages, IMO. Pay a worker a living wage they he/she can live on and feed their family and prosper and they will show up, have pride in their work and build a quality car.

Now take that same set up and pay the employee half so they are scraping by and how long until that worker is pissed and starts looking for a better paying job. Now their eye is off the game and things go for crap. Can the US build a quality car? No doubt in my mind. Can they do it paying substandard wages and and not paying those employees what is considered a living wage? Very unlikely.
Are you seriously insinuating that the folks who build Cadillacs (AKA the cars that are on par with or better than the Germans right now) aren't getting paid enough and are producing substandard cars?

Pfft.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation