Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #126
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign View Post
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the comments on my rendering. I've been having a great time reading through them, especially the negative ones. LOL

If there's one thing I've learned about design it's that if there's no negative comments I haven't worked hard enough on it because it's too vanilla and too safe. There's never been a car, a toaster, or a supermodel that didn't get polarizing comments. I've failed if everyone's comments are lukewarm positive ones.

This rendering is completely independent of GM. I'm a freelance custom car designer and a 70 Camaro owner. Camaro Performers magazine asks me to submit renderings of interesting Camaro designs for their monthly "Camaro Concepts" feature. I guess I was just sick of sitting on the sidelines and decided to make my modest plea of what I'd like in my driveway. Some say it's too ricer, some say it's too close to the 5th gen, some see Mustang. I'll give you a little insight as to what I was thinking anyway...many of you might disagree.

I'll have to say that I used this forum as a major source of direction for what my plans were. I researched the hell out of what GM Brass was leaking in interviews, what industry speculators were saying and what all of us Camaro fans and enthusiasts were saying on the forums with anonymity.

A lot of the inspiration was based the what I've been doing to my 5th gen client's cars. The elements that I kept doing over and over for them ended up on this car.

I really like the 5th generation car and it seems a lot of people do as well, judging by sales compared to the Mustang and Challenger. But every time I see one parked next to a 1st gen it just looks so slab-sided and bloated with some areas that are unnecessarily blocky and unrefined. Styling trends are already moving away from this raw, edgy stuff and I'm pretty confident that literal translations of retro stuff has run it's course.

However, Chevy has already said that they don't want to ruin what they have accomplished but there are improvements that can be made, especially the size and weight. They specifically used the word "evolutionary" not "revolutionary" when it comes to styling the new Camaro. With a lighter car that may end up having a little 4 banger, now the car is potentially affordable to a younger enthusiast crowd as well. That may help them to gain long term brand loyalty from NEW customers that have historically bypassed other boring econobox GM cars.

So in my design, basically, I shrunk it down to ATS platform size; retained the general look of the iconic muscle car greenhouse; bulged out the fenders (not quite a wide-body); added more sculpting and creases along the side to make it appear more slender; made the quarter gills functional brake cooling ports; softened up the chiseled rear and integrated some modern LED halo tail lights into a single unit (that could be swapped out for something retro by the aftermarket); sculpted blinkers into the side mirror to thin them out a little; ditched the lame mail slot, uninspired lower valence and fisher price grill and headlights for a much more aggressive and modern front fascia with larger intakes. I also added my interpretation of what a functional "ice cube" tray heat-extractor hood would be. And there's no way I wasn't going to let this leave my drawing board without some LED headlights for an RS look. The technology is already there and this is the direction the industry is headed, why not capitalize on it on an iconic light configuration that would be a perfect application?

I tried to wear as many hats as I could and think about this design from various angles. I looked at how the exotics refresh their cars generation to generation. Each generation of Porsche is a fresh evolution of it's predecessor, you can easily see the similarities but you still know it's different and NEW!

My one regret was not having enough time to submit this design with a wheel from my new forged wheel line. I'm ashamed to say that I photoshopped wheels from the Tru 140S, but they seemed to work well with the design....I think.

Thanks for all the comments (good and bad)!
Ben

Welcome to Camaro5!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #127
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,161
I am in as long as : a) manual trans available and b) ls3 or better is available
__________________
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #128
v6

 
v6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 998
this just looks the same with a unique grill and lights to me, but in a drawing
__________________
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #129
papawattz
 
papawattz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS +2014 El Tigre
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South West Michigan
Posts: 330
I would trade my 2010 SS no questions asked! Absolutly love it
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #130
jordanc
 
jordanc's Avatar
 
Drives: Cyber Grey Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: loxahatchee
Posts: 226
daddy like
__________________
Red Maggie,Kooks Headers and exhaust K&N intake, Hurst Shifter Mike Noris Tune
jordanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #131
DoggyB22
 
DoggyB22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area/Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 215
Not a fan....

I always wished GM made the Camaro look like this.

__________________

LT Pacesetter Headers, Moser 9" 3.89 Gears, FAST 90mm Intake & TB, 28" M/T Tires, Tune
Dyno'd 346 rwhp 354 lb tq
DoggyB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #132
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Revo1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyB22 View Post
Not a fan....

I always wished GM made the Camaro look like this.

Not a fan.
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #133
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
This still looks like a 5th gen Camaro to me. Anyone remember this change?

Was gen 4, then the styling changed dramatically. Was still gen 4.
Nope, don't remember that change at all...



Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
The changes between this and the current 5th remind me of the changes between the 1st and 2nd versions of the 4th gens.
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #134
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'
 
FL1CK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA (Eastlake)
Posts: 3,209
I agree with Revo, that looks like a 5th Gen, not dramatic enough in the changes to be a new generation of a car.
__________________
I am not childish, you're just being a poopy head!
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #135
BigCee66
 
BigCee66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro,'06 Honda Accord
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I wouldn't buy a Gen 6 if they came out like that. It looks nothing like a Camaro at all. I don't care if they want to sell cars to European markets, just don't ruin a classic to do so.
They look like Cobalts concepts not Camaro concepts. I would so pass and keep my 5th gen if this is though...
__________________
Too many ignorant comments on stupid threads...
BigCee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #136
woodside783
Casey Woodside
 
woodside783's Avatar
 
Drives: W/28
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 1,169
the new alpha zl1 or z28 will be even better than the curent and come in a 500 or more pounds under the 5 gen
__________________
2014 camaro5 fest 5 camarocross super modified 3rd
2013 camaro5 fest 4 camarocross modified champ
Instagram @caseywoodside
http://youtu.be/CSc9aPh_X_w
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #137
StealthZ28
 
StealthZ28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 z28 Camaro-Blacked out
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign View Post
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the comments on my rendering. I've been having a great time reading through them, especially the negative ones. LOL

If there's one thing I've learned about design it's that if there's no negative comments I haven't worked hard enough on it because it's too vanilla and too safe. There's never been a car, a toaster, or a supermodel that didn't get polarizing comments. I've failed if everyone's comments are lukewarm positive ones.

This rendering is completely independent of GM. I'm a freelance custom car designer and a 70 Camaro owner. Camaro Performers magazine asks me to submit renderings of interesting Camaro designs for their monthly "Camaro Concepts" feature. I guess I was just sick of sitting on the sidelines and decided to make my modest plea of what I'd like in my driveway. Some say it's too ricer, some say it's too close to the 5th gen, some see Mustang. I'll give you a little insight as to what I was thinking anyway...many of you might disagree.

I'll have to say that I used this forum as a major source of direction for what my plans were. I researched the hell out of what GM Brass was leaking in interviews, what industry speculators were saying and what all of us Camaro fans and enthusiasts were saying on the forums with anonymity.

A lot of the inspiration was based the what I've been doing to my 5th gen client's cars. The elements that I kept doing over and over for them ended up on this car.

I really like the 5th generation car and it seems a lot of people do as well, judging by sales compared to the Mustang and Challenger. But every time I see one parked next to a 1st gen it just looks so slab-sided and bloated with some areas that are unnecessarily blocky and unrefined. Styling trends are already moving away from this raw, edgy stuff and I'm pretty confident that literal translations of retro stuff has run it's course.

However, Chevy has already said that they don't want to ruin what they have accomplished but there are improvements that can be made, especially the size and weight. They specifically used the word "evolutionary" not "revolutionary" when it comes to styling the new Camaro. With a lighter car that may end up having a little 4 banger, now the car is potentially affordable to a younger enthusiast crowd as well. That may help them to gain long term brand loyalty from NEW customers that have historically bypassed other boring econobox GM cars.

So in my design, basically, I shrunk it down to ATS platform size; retained the general look of the iconic muscle car greenhouse; bulged out the fenders (not quite a wide-body); added more sculpting and creases along the side to make it appear more slender; made the quarter gills functional brake cooling ports; softened up the chiseled rear and integrated some modern LED halo tail lights into a single unit (that could be swapped out for something retro by the aftermarket); sculpted blinkers into the side mirror to thin them out a little; ditched the lame mail slot, uninspired lower valence and fisher price grill and headlights for a much more aggressive and modern front fascia with larger intakes. I also added my interpretation of what a functional "ice cube" tray heat-extractor hood would be. And there's no way I wasn't going to let this leave my drawing board without some LED headlights for an RS look. The technology is already there and this is the direction the industry is headed, why not capitalize on it on an iconic light configuration that would be a perfect application?

I tried to wear as many hats as I could and think about this design from various angles. I looked at how the exotics refresh their cars generation to generation. Each generation of Porsche is a fresh evolution of it's predecessor, you can easily see the similarities but you still know it's different and NEW!

My one regret was not having enough time to submit this design with a wheel from my new forged wheel line. I'm ashamed to say that I photoshopped wheels from the Tru 140S, but they seemed to work well with the design....I think.

Thanks for all the comments (good and bad)!
Ben

Congrats on the Rendering looks Great IMO! Very Sleak and Bada** for sure. I always enjoy checking out the artist renderings being an artist myself. Not to mention my car got in the same magazine as this rendering so it was a double wammy for me. Keep up the good work!

And Welcome to C5
__________________
StealthZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #138
dekan513
chevy pride
 
dekan513's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: pikeville ky
Posts: 2,145
i like it i would buy it.
__________________

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #139
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,226
Is the 5th Gen evolutionary or did it carve out a new design space in 2010?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #140
papawattz
 
papawattz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS +2014 El Tigre
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South West Michigan
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 6th Gen styling language is in these two concepts.




Chevrolet is looking beyond the USA for 6th Gen sales. It will be a global Chevrolet which is good for all Camaro enthusiasts. It means there will be sufficient R & D funding to deliver cars with superior performance to the current 5th Gen.

Smaller
More engine options
Direct Injection
Turbos

No need to panic. The 6th Gen will absolutely have V8 engine options.

If it looks like either of these two I will throw up, shoot my self in the leg, throw myself from a roof top and then, go buy a mustang
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #141
KarFan
 
KarFan's Avatar
 
Drives: CARS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 464
I have a feeling that GM will just update the styling of the 5th Gen into the 6th Gen. If the Camaro stays on Zeta then I think this rendering could be plausable. If it moves to the Alpha platform then the proportions will be quite different than the 5th Gen.

Lighter and more power from the Gen V V8.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #142
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 6th Gen styling language is in these two concepts.




Chevrolet is looking beyond the USA for 6th Gen sales. It will be a global Chevrolet which is good for all Camaro enthusiasts. It means there will be sufficient R & D funding to deliver cars with superior performance to the current 5th Gen.

Smaller
More engine options
Direct Injection
Turbos

No need to panic. The 6th Gen will absolutely have V8 engine options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCee66 View Post
They look like Cobalts concepts not Camaro concepts. I would so pass and keep my 5th gen if this is though...
The Camaro will not look like either of these concepts. The size and proportions of a smaller 6the Gen will require significant design changes. The styling language in these two concepts will be found in the 6th Gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawattz View Post
If it looks like either of these two I will throw up, shoot my self in the leg, throw myself from a roof top and then, go buy a mustang
What do you think the next Mustang will look like?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #143
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Camaro will not look like either of these concepts. The size and proportions of a smaller 6the Gen will require significant design changes. The styling language in these two concepts will be found in the 6th Gen.



What do you think the next Mustang will look like?
Can't find it but I do remember seeing on here that Tom Peters was asked if the next Camaro would have the corporate split grill and he said something like, not as long as I'm working on it. So we can at least rule that out.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #144
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Can't find it but I do remember seeing on here that Tom Peters was asked if the next Camaro would have the corporate split grill and he said something like, not as long as I'm working on it. So we can at least rule that out.
It is a safe bet the C7 won't have it either

This concept is probably too radical, but I can see a 6th Gen in it.



You can see the similarity in the design of the VOLT concept.



You can see how lowering the roof line would radically change this concept.



With a lower roof line, a Camaro grille...

Ed Welburn, Tom Peters, Bob Boniface and Sangyup Lee all influenced the 5th Gen. These are very talented people who push the envelope. The pushed it hard with the 5th Gen. There is no way that with an all new chassis there won't be an all new look to the 6th Gen. They will push the envelope again.

The next Mustang will be pushing the envelope as well.



I see a heavy GM influence in this rendering.



It will be smaller, lighter and have an IRS according to the rumors on the street.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #145
gglefty
 
gglefty's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 187
Thx for the jpeg Ben. Nicely done...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign View Post
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the comments on my rendering. I've been having a great time reading through them, especially the negative ones. LOL


Thanks for all the comments (good and bad)!
Ben

__________________
2ss convertible, LS3
gglefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #146
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,226

__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #147
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

The Mustang doesn't look bad... but the Camaro is absolutely sexy.
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #148
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,226
I think they look too much alike. The current Mustang and Camaro are more distinctly a Ford and Chevy.



__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #149
DoggyB22
 
DoggyB22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area/Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 215
Those Mustang concepts are ugly!
__________________

LT Pacesetter Headers, Moser 9" 3.89 Gears, FAST 90mm Intake & TB, 28" M/T Tires, Tune
Dyno'd 346 rwhp 354 lb tq
DoggyB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #150
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,382
Mustang is taking a more Euro approach, I thought I read that somewhere.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 camaro news, 2015 camaro rumors, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro news, 2016 camaro rumors, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.