Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Blue Maro Demon

 
Blue Maro Demon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,196
Article on 6th Gen Camaro

http://carbuzz.com/news/2011/12/23/R...amaro-7706499/

This article states that a four cylinder may be an option. Hmmmmm I just hope they dont get rid of the V6 all the way.
__________________
Blue Maro Demon is offline  
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,990
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
http://carbuzz.com/news/2011/12/23/R...amaro-7706499/

This article states that a four cylinder may be an option. Hmmmmm I just hope they dont get rid of the V6 all the way.
Anyone that knows, isn't talking.
Anyone that talks, doesn't know.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline  
Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Blue Maro Demon

 
Blue Maro Demon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,196
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/ne...rmed-for-2016/

More 6th gen Camaro info possibly, turbo 270hp 4-cylinder, turbo V6, & 5th Gen V8 the power trains along with lighter weight the goals for the 6th gen BUT the main thing is what will it look like???
__________________
Blue Maro Demon is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Anyone that knows, isn't talking.
Anyone that talks, doesn't know.


Read these articles for their entertainment and "hmmm..." values ONLY. They're completely useless when looking for facts, which risk us believing others' guesses.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,828
I've heard that the base 6th gen will most likely have a 2.0T engine.
__________________
Overflow is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
suplex

 
suplex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Freehold, NJ. 07728
Posts: 984
I'm just wondering if in the same fashion as to how the 5th Gen was Retro-Styled to look like the 1st Gen...if the 6th Gen will resemble the 2nd Gen.

If they're (Chevrolet) done with Retro-Styling, then it would be really special to see the All-New-Design for the Camaro.
__________________
Never Underestimate The Power of Forums
suplex is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
I'm just wondering if in the same fashion as to how the 5th Gen was Retro-Styled to look like the 1st Gen...if the 6th Gen will resemble the 2nd Gen.

If they're (Chevrolet) done with Retro-Styling, then it would be really special to see the All-New-Design for the Camaro.
They KNOW the current design is a hit (which isn't a retro design, btw...). And they know the design for the next generation needs to be as striking, while still "looks like a Camaro". That's enough to comfort me, but it's anyone's guess what it'll really look like.

There are plenty of awesome design cues from every generation they could use - but I (my opinion, here) REALLY doubt they'll retro the 2nd gen, just because.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
trganey
 
Drives: 1979 Z28-Retired, 2012 RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 103
Is there really not going to be rear passenger seating in the new Camaro? Could be how they plan to reduce size and weight and get away with the 2.0 turbo 4cyl out of the Sosltice. Sounds like their just modifying the Sol and puting a Camaro badge on it.
trganey is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by trganey View Post
Is there really not going to be rear passenger seating in the new Camaro? Could be how they plan to reduce size and weight and get away with the 2.0 turbo 4cyl out of the Sosltice. Sounds like their just modifying the Sol and puting a Camaro badge on it.
It's a Camaro. It will be a 4-seater coupe.

If they choose to use a 270hp turbo 4, remember we have no idea what they're going to use...but I imagine if they use it -- they'll "get away" with it, because the base-car customer is a little different from the performance models. And yet, that engine will still PULL assuming the car is very low 3000 lb range!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,990
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trganey View Post
Is there really not going to be rear passenger seating in the new Camaro? Could be how they plan to reduce size and weight and get away with the 2.0 turbo 4cyl out of the Sosltice. Sounds like their just modifying the Sol and puting a Camaro badge on it.
Well, technically the Fiat 500 seats 4 ... so the Camaro can shrink down quite a ways without going to only 2 seats.

And the 2.0T, if offered, won't be the one from the Solstice. That engine has been replaced with one that is both more refined and more powerful (and probably a bit more efficient too)
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
CamarJoe
 
CamarJoe's Avatar
 
Drives: Chrysler Concorde
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
I would bet that the new base model Camaro will use the turbo 4-cylinder that will be in the Cadillac ATS. I believe it is a 2.0-liter with 270hp. I think they'll still offer a V8, albeit at a much higher price. I'm excited to see this new engine as I think it would be great for the new 2013 Malibu as well as an aftermarket Sonic or Cruze. I don't think a twin-turbo V6 is doable at least right now. Chevy and GM really don't have a whole lot of experience in turbo engines, let alone twin-turbo engines. Having said that, there are rumors that the next Corvette could use a twin-turbo V6, so GM might be making a huge gamble by researching and developing a TT V6, but I think it would be great. Personally, I prefer natural aspiration, but I completely understand why they would move to smaller displacement with turbos. Weight management is more important for the camaro anyway.
__________________

Last edited by CamarJoe; 01-01-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: more info
CamarJoe is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamarJoe View Post
I would bet that the new base model Camaro will use the turbo 4-cylinder that will be in the Cadillac ATS. I believe it is a 2.0-liter with 270hp. I think they'll still offer a V8, albeit at a much higher price. I'm excited to see this new engine as I think it would be great for the new 2013 Malibu as well as an aftermarket Sonic or Cruze. I don't think a twin-turbo V6 is doable at least right now. Chevy and GM really don't have a whole lot of experience in turbo engines, let alone twin-turbo engines. Having said that, there are rumors that the next Corvette could use a twin-turbo V6, so GM might be making a huge gamble by researching and developing a TT V6, but I think it would be great. Personally, I prefer natural aspiration, but I completely understand why they would move to smaller displacement with turbos. Weight management is more important for the camaro anyway.
Actually...They've been doing turbo-charged engines for a while. They developed the twin-scroll turbo 4 cylinder long before Ford ever thought of "EcoBoost". They're just horrible at advertising it.

Rumor has it that they initially developed the ZR1 to use turbochargers...but the compact engine compartment of the Corvette caused a...."thermal event"...at those power levels, so they deciding on supercharging, instead.

They've already built, and sold a turbocharged V6 in the Cadillac SRX, but it didn't sell very well. And...they've just engineered a twin-turbo V6 for Indycar racing.

Took a trip around the world just to say: "It's possible"...sorry.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
CamarJoe
 
CamarJoe's Avatar
 
Drives: Chrysler Concorde
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Actually...They've been doing turbo-charged engines for a while. They developed the twin-scroll turbo 4 cylinder long before Ford ever thought of "EcoBoost". They're just horrible at advertising it.

Rumor has it that they initially developed the ZR1 to use turbochargers...but the compact engine compartment of the Corvette caused a...."thermal event"...at those power levels, so they deciding on supercharging, instead.

They've already built, and sold a turbocharged V6 in the Cadillac SRX, but it didn't sell very well. And...they've just engineered a twin-turbo V6 for Indycar racing.

Took a trip around the world just to say: "It's possible"...sorry.
Interesting... I wonder if the reorganization had some impact on the R&D allocations for these high-tech forced induction engines. Oh and sweet ZL1, can't wait to see it
__________________
CamarJoe is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Ucantctchme
 
Ucantctchme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 526
The turbo solstice is slow and that car is tiny.
Ucantctchme is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,990
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I just don't see the point of a 4 banger in the Camaro unless they can get upper 30s for the highway mileage. The V6 is currently already around 30 and I'd expect the next gen to improve by 10% or so over that. So now we'd be looking at low to mid 30's on the 6. If the 4 banger is 'just' mid 30s, I don't think it will be enough of a difference to justify its existence. People will see 33 mpg on the, lets say 330 hp V6 vs 35 mpg on the 270 hp Turbo4. I just don't think thats enough seperation between the two unless gas prices jump again.

Plus, adding another engine to the lineup increases weight and cost for everything else, especially when its a completely different configuration than the other offerings (a 5.3L V8 and a 6.2L V8 will mount up the same way and take up the same real estate inside the engine bay ... that doesn't happen with an I4 vs a V6). You'd be adding weight, and adding cost, for something that doesn't add much value. I think a smarter move would be to have a 3.1L base V6 and a 3.8L 'upper V6'. I'd expect a small V6 would deliver similar numbers to the turbo4 (while costing less) while the big V6 would offer better performance with a bit of a fuel economy hit and would sit as an intermediate engine to the base V8 (which I expect will be smaller than what we have now)
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
tooslow
I'm not a "Dude"
 
tooslow's Avatar
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
They KNOW the current design is a hit (which isn't a retro design, btw...).
People keep saying that, but you are in denial if you don't think the Gen5 has styling cues taken directly from the Gen1 Camaro. It is as much a retro design as the Mustang is. The only true-to-the-past design, IMO, is the Challenger.

Fbodfather has been saying all along that the power train will have to change from n/a V6's and V8's just too meet CAFE standards in the future. This should not come as a surprise to anyone.
tooslow is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,990
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
The turbo solstice is slow and that car is tiny.
I wouldn't say they're slow. With the GMPP tune (which doesn't void the warranty) those little cars will run with a Camaro SS.

They are tiny though.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,990
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
People keep saying that, but you are in denial if you don't think the Gen5 has styling cues taken directly from the Gen1 Camaro. It is as much a retro design as the Mustang is. The only true-to-the-past design, IMO, is the Challenger.
Retro = true to the past. Therefore, the Challenger is retro, and the Camaro isn't.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
People keep saying that, but you are in denial if you don't think the Gen5 has styling cues taken directly from the Gen1 Camaro. It is as much a retro design as the Mustang is. The only true-to-the-past design, IMO, is the Challenger.
The only cue taken DIRECTLY from the 1st get was the angle and curvature of the rear-quarter window. Everything else was inspired by the other generations, Corvette (production and concept), and even the F-22 fighter jet.

I'll agree that many, if not most design elements were drawn from 1st gen influence. But I refuse to use the word "retro" because it's just not accurate.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
tooslow
I'm not a "Dude"
 
tooslow's Avatar
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The only cue taken DIRECTLY from the 1st get was the angle and curvature of the rear-quarter window. Everything else was inspired by the other generations, Corvette (production and concept), and even the F-22 fighter jet.

I'll agree that many, if not most design elements were drawn from 1st gen influence. But I refuse to use the word "retro" because it's just not accurate.
That's fine, but let's be sure the same standard is applied to the Mustang. It no more retro than the Gen5 is all I'm saying, yet people want to label it that way.
tooslow is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
ubrimah
Oreo
 
ubrimah's Avatar
 
Drives: Summit White LT/RS A6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waco TX
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Anyone that knows, isn't talking.
Anyone that talks, doesn't know.
I heard it's supposed to have 5.7L V6 with twin turbos and a supercharger.
__________________
Click the pic!

ubrimah is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
That's fine, but let's be sure the same standard is applied to the Mustang. It no more retro than the Gen5 is all I'm saying, yet people want to label it that way.
I think the Mustang splits the difference between the Challenger and the Camaro in terms of their connection to past designs...but no, I wouldn't call the '05-ish Mustang retro, either.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #23
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black
 
The Shadoww's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 894
Send a message via Skype™ to The Shadoww
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrimah View Post
I heard it's supposed to have 5.7L V6 with twin turbos and a supercharger.
Wow.... Not likely, because i was told by a guy they knew a GM employee back in the 60's who now has a child who works there that the 6th gen will be made of poly-carbonate to reduce weight and will have windows made of crystal. Also, it is rumored to run on dolphin tears. Oh, and it will be an in-line 9.

If you dont believe me then here is the link:
iPulledThatShitOutMyAssJustForYou.Com
__________________
The Shadoww is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 4,216
These articles are crap. Its in no way associated by any GM personnel so im geting the impression some folks are gullible.

FYI - i read another article that the 6th gen will be available in a Hybrid option.
__________________
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
10spokess
Wild and Cammed
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 758
You know I also heard that they are going to combine the mustang and the camaro together to make a mega pony car!!! Why are we getting into details already. Enjoy what you have
__________________
10spokess is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM unveils Jay Leno Camaro, Camaro Synergy, Camaro Chroma, Camaro Dusk at SEMA irocnroll 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 101 02-27-2012 12:25 PM
SEMA Show 2011 - New Camaro Products Showcase! Sean@Phastek Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 85 01-16-2012 10:51 PM
Installation Camaro Needed for Manual for a Justice Install Package in SF Bay Area Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - California 6 04-30-2010 08:02 PM
Ambient lighting (ABL) - the FINAL update = LIMITED TO DOOR PANELS CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 338 04-15-2009 05:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.