Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 PM   #435
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw View Post
Thanks for the info, and now the second part of the question, from those that offer a 50 state legal kit, can those kits be tuned? The reason I ask is, I was considering supercharging a ND Mazda MX-5 kit from Edelbrock, but that kit is locked and I was told by Flying Miata, the only way they got that 50 state approval was to lock the tune....

I would like to have someone protune the LT1 kit but wasn't sure if it would still be 50 state legal. I have owned and tuned a few STI's over the years and with a handheld tuner could switch back and forth between the stock factory tune and a more aggressive protune. I would switch back to the factory tune for dealer visits and warranty work... Could something like be done with one of the LT1 supercharger kits? for smog'ing purposes....

pcw
Yes they can be tuned and as far as I can tell, most of them are. I think very few run the canned tunes.
Epx998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #436
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw View Post
Thanks for the info, and now the second part of the question, from those that offer a 50 state legal kit, can those kits be tuned? The reason I ask is, I was considering supercharging a ND Mazda MX-5 kit from Edelbrock, but that kit is locked and I was told by Flying Miata, the only way they got that 50 state approval was to lock the tune....

I would like to have someone protune the LT1 kit but wasn't sure if it would still be 50 state legal. I have owned and tuned a few STI's over the years and with a handheld tuner could switch back and forth between the stock factory tune and a more aggressive protune. I would switch back to the factory tune for dealer visits and warranty work... Could something like be done with one of the LT1 supercharger kits? for smog'ing purposes....

pcw
Yes they can I do it regularly.

But you should know by the letter of the law the kit would no longer be carb legal, you would have to reinstall the Carb legal tune to qualify.

With a supercharger installed you can not switch back to the stock factory tune and your driveline warranty is voided, you can however pick up a drive line warranty through supercharger manufacturers that offer it as an option on there kits when purchasing new.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #437
Want1

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Wow! Just got done reading the whole thread!

AWESOMENESS!!

Looking into getting a Whipple, the LT4 pump and injectors, and the voltage booster here soon!

Thanks for all the info, Ted!
Want1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #438
Want1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Yes they can I do it regularly.

But you should know by the letter of the law the kit would no longer be carb legal, you would have to reinstall the Carb legal tune to qualify.

With a supercharger installed you can not switch back to the stock factory tune and your driveline warranty is voided, you can however pick up a drive line warranty through supercharger manufacturers that offer it as an option on there kits when purchasing new.

Ted.
Hi Ted,

Thanks again for sharing all this info!

Any superchargers offering warranties that you know of?

I found an old article about the Whipple no longer offering it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #439
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want1 View Post
Hi Ted,

Thanks in advance!
There website still shows they do. quoted below.
"1 year limited warranty
Optional 3 year/36,000 mile warranty"

But in all honesty I wouldn't base my decision off of warranty alone even though I must say that any issues I've had with my Whipple (questions, issues with a tensioner that needed replacement, etc ... they helped me directly (even not being the vendor that did the install) with no questions asked. Granted I haven't had any catastrophic failures because of my SC but I have seen one member that may have and they took care of them if my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure they would chime in if they see this. I also believe that all of manufactures would have done the same. The major issue isn't so much the risk of the the SC but whether or not you push past the the canned tune and take the LT1 to it's limits.

In full disclosure I did have 2 ring land failures and I'm going forged but I was running a custom tune and doing long pulls which may have caused this failure. There are safe guards to help to insure your engine can handle it such as meth, better tuning, and other safe guards but truly once you start to push the limits of the stock internals you run the risk of failures. Then again you can beat up a stock system and have the same problems and dealerships can see that you tracked your car (different methods to determine that) and deny repairs based off of that under certain circumstances. i've recently seen that from someone that i know.

My advice for anyone wanting to add additional power is be prepared to pay out of pocket if something was to go wrong. My 42k OTD car is now probably X2. Lots of plusses with that and I love it.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #440
Joe's_cool_1le

Should have prefaced my book above with "after enjoying a night out with a bunch of fireball shots". Haha
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 04-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #441
Joe's_cool_1le

damn Ted. I just realized that question was directed to you and is on your thread. You really would be the right person to answer that question... my thoughts are based off of very limited experience considering.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #442
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Wow! Just got done reading the whole thread!

AWESOMENESS!!

Looking into getting a Whipple, the LT4 pump and injectors, and the voltage booster here soon!

Thanks for all the info, Ted!
I look forward to working with you on this project.

Quote:
Hi Ted,

Thanks in advance!
You are Very welcome, Yes the major brands all offer driveline warranty for sale.

Essentially they are an insurance policy type warranty, you purchase at Your Option, to take over the Driveline warranty, which starts the day and mileage the vehicle was put in to service at the dealer when you bought it new.

They have very strict guidelines you must run the base kit, no other mods with the certified tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
"1 year limited warranty

But in all honesty I wouldn't base my decision off of warranty alone even though I must say that any issues I've had with my Whipple (questions, issues with a tensioner that needed replacement, etc ... they helped me directly (even not being the vendor that did the install) with no questions asked. Granted I haven't had any catastrophic failures because of my SC but I have seen one member that may have and they took care of them if my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure they would chime in if they see this. I also believe that all of manufactures would have done the same. The major issue isn't so much the risk of the the SC but whether or not you push past the the canned tune and take the LT1 to it's limits.

In full disclosure I did have 2 ring land failures and I'm going forged but I was running a custom tune and doing long pulls which may have caused this failure. There are safe guards to help to insure your engine can handle it such as meth, better tuning, and other safe guards but truly once you start to push the limits of the stock internals you run the risk of failures. Then again you can beat up a stock system and have the same problems and dealerships can see that you tracked your car (different methods to determine that) and deny repairs based off of that under certain circumstances. i've recently seen that from someone that i know.

My advice for anyone wanting to add additional power is be prepared to pay out of pocket if something was to go wrong. My 42k OTD car is now probably X2. Lots of plusses with that and I love it.
Quote:
damn Ted. I just realized that question was directed to you and is on your thread. You really would be the right person to answer that question... my thoughts are based off of very limited experience considering.
I think you did a good job of helping out Joe.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #443
Want1

Quote:
"1 year limited warranty

Thanks Joe!

I have seen that on their website, also. Asking because I saw it somewhere that they no longer do. But it is good to know they do take care of you if needed - thanks again!

I'll be sure not to push it to its limits. Eventually get forged internals...

P.S.: I have read your thread on your whipple, and seen a couple of your videos - And left you a message on your profile here in this group!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #444
Want1

Talking

Quote:
Should have prefaced my book above with "after enjoying a night out with a bunch of fireball shots". Haha

Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #445
Want1

Quote:

I thank you just the same, Joe!

Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #446
Want1

Quote:

You are Very welcome, Yes the major brands all offer driveline warranty for sale.

Essentially they are an insurance policy type warranty, you purchase at Your Option, to take over the Driveline warranty, which starts the day and mileage the vehicle was put in to service at the dealer when you bought it new.

They have very strict guidelines you must run the base kit, no other mods with the certified tune.

Thank you Ted!

Good to know. I'll definitely look more into it. Can't find any details anywhere... I'll try contacting them.

So is 'their' base tune too basic? Or...

Ted.
Agreed! Thanks again, Joe!

Last edited by Want1; 04-07-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Double checking... New at this...
Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #447
Want1

Quote:

Ted.

Sorry - I screwed up the reply! Still figuring this thing out...

Thank you Ted!

By basic kit do you mean the SC and nothing else? Meaning no LT4 injectors, pump, etc...?

I'll try to contact them to get more details on the warranty.