Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Yeah very dicey situation.

When I picked mine up from Iowa driving back to D.C., I planned the route and gave myself several days to make it back just in case weather took a turn for the worst in the Midwest. When the sun began to set for the day, it was time for me to check in for the night.

Snow tires may not be the best fit for your climate. If it rarely snows then snow tires may be worse for your situation than all season tires. Depending on where you live, a set of all season, or snow, rubber and wheels will suffice until the spring rolls around.

When I lived in PA, I had a dedicated set of Blizzaks and steel wheels. Now in Maryland, a decent set of all season rubber does the trick with -1” wheels.

Bagged and tagged the summer set for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
GM should at least offer all-season tires on the SS as a no cost option from the factory.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
There was some dumbass driving his GT350 around here the other day in 20 degree weather with snow/ice still on parts of the road. Don't know how you can that kind of money but be that stupid. My car was safely parked in the garage for this reason.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
Get a "WEATHER BEATER". I put my Camaro away and drive my 07 (39,000 miles) Silverado 4X4. Hell, I see a small accident is close to a "TOTAL" on these cars. Not to mention the "SALT" damage up here...Just a thought. Good to hear you didn't lose it.

With winter tires, this car is a blast in the snow! Very good traction on my 20" Blizzaks, and I tried her out at the mall parking lot after we had our last big snow and turned off all the electronic nannies - you can really get this car to do what you want it to do in 6" of snow!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #18
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
And yet....There are all sorts of posts stating they do fine in cold weather with the stock Goodyears/Summer performance tires. I have a hard time believing that.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #19
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
And yet....There are all sorts of posts stating they do fine in cold weather with the stock Goodyears/Summer performance tires. I have a hard time believing that.
My understanding is under 45-40 degrees, there is reduced traction. Under 32, there is a strong possibility of cracking on top of more reduced traction.

I have drove mine in that 32-40 degree range with no real issues, but also I'm consciously driving much more careful, using the Snow/Ice mode as well.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #20
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
GM should at least offer all-season tires on the SS as a no cost option from the factory.
Agreed and more to the point GM should offer a set of tires complete at each dealer at a great cost as the dealer or new car owner could sell ost of the original equipment tires for the summer at almost what the all season cost or for more

Stig eh
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #21
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Not something I'd even think about trying. In the temps we've been having, down to 0 with -10 degree wind chills, the tire will never begin to warm up no matter how long your drive is.

Maybe that's something worth trying to invent. Tire heaters for winter driving.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #22
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
some members here have had the run-flats swapped out for all-seasons at the time of sale as part of the deal
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #23
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
This might be a side conversation but those of you who have thrown out the run-flats for all season tires, what is your plan if you are several hundred miles from home on a trip and you have a blow out that is not pluggable? I don't for the life of me know why manufacturers seem to think they don't need a spare tire with run-flats. I hit a pothole in my 335i years ago, which had runflats, and it put a gash in the sidewall so the runflats were of zero use. Luckily I had bought myself a spare tire kit from a 5-series so I made it home. Nobody carries tires in the sizes our cars use so you will be stuck for 2-3 days waiting on a tire if you aren't close to home when something like that happens.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #24
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
My understanding is under 45-40 degrees, there is reduced traction. Under 32, there is a strong possibility of cracking on top of more reduced traction.

I have drove mine in that 32-40 degree range with no real issues, but also I'm consciously driving much more careful, using the Snow/Ice mode as well.
According to the manual you can have reduced traction under 40 degrees, and the possibility of cracking under 20. I drove mine yesterday with the temps in the upper 30s with no problem; I was a bit more cautious, though.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I still have the stock summer tires on mine and got it out a few days back when it was about 20 degrees out. Traction wasn't a "sure" as usual, but as long as you drive remotely normal it's not likely going to cause a problem. I got sideways twice, but that was purely by intent Even if it's cold out, once the tires warm up a bit you should be okay, again if you drive reasonably.

Last edited by SDG23; 01-10-2018 at 02:54 PM.
SDG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #26
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
This might be a side conversation but those of you who have thrown out the run-flats for all season tires, what is your plan if you are several hundred miles from home on a trip and you have a blow out that is not pluggable? I don't for the life of me know why manufacturers seem to think they don't need a spare tire with run-flats. I hit a pothole in my 335i years ago, which had runflats, and it put a gash in the sidewall so the runflats were of zero use. Luckily I had bought myself a spare tire kit from a 5-series so I made it home. Nobody carries tires in the sizes our cars use so you will be stuck for 2-3 days waiting on a tire if you aren't close to home when something like that happens.
AAA or other roadside assistance companies are the best option. Your story is exactly why RFTs are not worth it to begin with IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
According to the manual you can have reduced traction under 40 degrees, and the possibility of cracking under 20. I drove mine yesterday with the temps in the upper 30s with no problem; I was a bit more cautious, though.
Ah knew there were 2 temps given but didn't remember what they were exactly.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #27
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
If there are any of you out there that (like me) figured they could "get by" this winter without getting all-weather tires on your Camaro - let this be your warning.

I took my chances in 20 degree weather today and took the car out of the garage on the stock tires. On the highway, I went to make a simple lane change with light acceleration and completely lost traction - car went sideways one way, then the other before I got it under control. Fortunately no one was in the far left lane or I would have been in a massive wreck.

And yes I understand it this is my fault, lesson learned.
You probably hit black ice..

I've been daily driving mine 80 miles a day on summer tires without issue. Definitely less traction on cold salty Maryland roads in winter but nothing out of control unless I hit black ice. When real cold out, I drive like the roads are wet from rain.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #28
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
I still have the stock summer tires on mine and got it out a few days back when it was about 20 degrees out. Traction wasn't a "sure" as usual, but as long as you drive remotely normal it's not likely going to cause a problem. I got sideways twice, but that was purely by intent Even if it's cold out, once the tires warm up a bit you should be okay, again if you drive reasonably.
I feel like ive seen your Camaro around the sommerset or Lexington area before.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote